Upgrade Eligibility

tjensen_25

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi, So I built a pc a few months ago and I never installed a purchased copy of windows, just the W8 consumer preview. And I'm pretty sure I can't purchase the upgrade copy and be ok. But I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. So am I correct in assuming I have to purchase the full OEM version, or can I save money and buy the upgrade? Thanks :)

enosis

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Someone asked the same question on MS's blog here: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/10/12/reserve-your-copy-of-windows-8-pro-and-pre-order-windows-8-pcs-today.aspx

Jarhead1407:
"Please, someone help me out. I have a PC with ONLY Win8 RP (no underlying Win7 or earlier license), can I use this upgrade edition and successfully upgrade to Win8? I've heard you need to have an underlying previous license. Please help!"

And the official response from the MS guy was:

"@Jarhead1407 - you should be fine. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant will take you through the process. Thanks for testing Windows 8!"

kriskory

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I just researched this myself and in a weird way this is correct, if you only have the RT on your system then you can do the $40 upgrade from within windows upgrade and have full registered version.

Hi :)

NO ...you cannot...I sell MS stuff and they told us that IT HAS TO HAVE A VALID OS with a key on the machine....

And NOT RT...

All the best Brett :)