Analog phones

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 26, 2004 3:11:41 AM

Anyone have any luck getting a bag phone activated?

Thx Guys

Ernest
New to verizon

More about : analog phones

June 26, 2004 3:11:42 AM

I did. But, it isn't easy. If you can find a
really techie type and talk nicely to him/her
it might work. But, going the usual route
probably won't work. One thing I ran into
is the number of digits on some analogs
won't fit into the ESN system and can't be
set up. Luck!!!
June 26, 2004 4:45:39 PM

Thx Gator, I will keep looking and hoping... :-)

Ernest

Gator wrote:
> I did. But, it isn't easy. If you can find a
> really techie type and talk nicely to him/her
> it might work. But, going the usual route
> probably won't work. One thing I ran into
> is the number of digits on some analogs
> won't fit into the ESN system and can't be
> set up. Luck!!!

June 26, 2004 4:45:40 PM

It depends on your location/provider. There was a q about this for people
out in the boonies, or on ships offshore. Final result was that Alltel still
activates them for use on verizon, but you have to be in an Alltel area to
do it.

If you know how to use Google advanced search for searching the text in this
group, search on the words "Analog Phone" or "Bagphone". I forget the guys
last name or userid, but someone named Larry uses an analog bagphone on
boats off the SC coast, and somewhere in that string, talks about how to
activate them on Alltel for use on verizon (Alltel is one of Verizons
partners).

"Ernest" <hamradiooperator1967@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thx Gator, I will keep looking and hoping... :-)
>
> Ernest
>

> Gator wrote:
> > I did. But, it isn't easy. If you can find a
> > really techie type and talk nicely to him/her
> > it might work. But, going the usual route
> > probably won't work. One thing I ran into
> > is the number of digits on some analogs
> > won't fit into the ESN system and can't be
> > set up. Luck!!!

June 26, 2004 7:46:45 PM

Ernest wrote:
> Anyone have any luck getting a bag phone activated?
>
> Thx Guys
>
> Ernest
> New to verizon

Does it need to be with Verizon? How about a prepaid with an AT&T reseller?
The minutes last six months and you get a toll free number with it.

Rod

--
Activate with JusTalk prepaid and get 60 free minutes!
Ask me how.

Do you have an existing account with Verizon?
If you do and you know how to program the AMPS ( analog ) phone, you can do
an online ESN swap via account management website (
http://www.verizonwireless.com ).

If no to both, then no you can't. A store will not be able to help you. You
will have to do all of the work.
Going the usual route will not work in most areas now.

Scotty

"Ernest" <hamradiooperator1967@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thx Gator, I will keep looking and hoping... :-)
>
> Ernest
>

> Gator wrote:
> > I did. But, it isn't easy. If you can find a
> > really techie type and talk nicely to him/her
> > it might work. But, going the usual route
> > probably won't work. One thing I ran into
> > is the number of digits on some analogs
> > won't fit into the ESN system and can't be
> > set up. Luck!!!

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 10:40:33 PM

One of my friends bought a used Cadillac with an integrated, analog-only
cellular phone. It also happened to have OnStar, and he successfully got
OnStar to argue with Verizon to get the unit activated. I guess OnStar uses
the AMPS system for commuications with their service center.

- ESJ

> Anyone have any luck getting a bag phone activated?
>
> Thx Guys
>
> Ernest
> New to verizon

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 12:40:54 AM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:40:33 GMT, E Jones wrote:

> One of my friends bought a used Cadillac with an integrated, analog-only
> cellular phone. It also happened to have OnStar, and he successfully got
> OnStar to argue with Verizon to get the unit activated. I guess OnStar uses
> the AMPS system for commuications with their service center.

Mostly, but I heard they are moving to digital on new vehicles.
June 29, 2004 2:37:53 AM

Thanks for the idea Ron, but AT&T politics will not allow me to go with
them. Some time ago they gave millions to an organization that I can not
and will not support. I will not go into the reasons because this is not
the proper place...

Thanks

Ernest

Rod wrote:
> Ernest wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any luck getting a bag phone activated?
>>
>>Thx Guys
>>
>>Ernest
>>New to verizon
>

> Does it need to be with Verizon? How about a prepaid with an AT&T reseller?
> The minutes last six months and you get a toll free number with it.
>
> Rod

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:43:41 PM

Ernest wrote:
> Thanks for the idea Ron, but AT&T politics will not allow me to go with
> them. Some time ago they gave millions to an organization that I can not
> and will not support. I will not go into the reasons because this is not
> the proper place...

The FCC? ;)

JS
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:44:51 PM

Personally I activate an AMPS-only Startac 3000 when I'm going to be in
a super-rural area. Personally I'm on a Local Digitalchoice plan, and I
use their 'activate hardware' button on their website and feed it the ESN...

This will be fine until they start pushing SIM cards... Thats the day
I'll be seriously re-thinking my cellular requirements - 2m gear is
cheap and I already have tower space ;P

JS

Ernest wrote:

> Anyone have any luck getting a bag phone activated?
>
> Thx Guys
>
> Ernest
> New to verizon

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 11:01:35 PM

The problem is the GPS-E911 system. Wireless Carriers are fined up to $500
for every non GPS phone they activate in a market supported by GPS-E911.
Here in MA the state does not support it, so there would be no fine to
actviate a bag phone.

--
peter_may_day

To email me, remove underwear, and insert, my name
my_name@yahoounderwear.com

Directory of unlisted phone numbers
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:09:13 AM

In article <i0jEc.133268$0y.114027@attbi_s03>,
peter_may_day <my_name@yahoounderwear.com> wrote:
>The problem is the GPS-E911 system. Wireless Carriers are fined up to $500
>for every non GPS phone they activate in a market supported by GPS-E911.
>Here in MA the state does not support it, so there would be no fine to
>actviate a bag phone.

I thought they were just not allowed to sell phones w/o GPS, but that
there was no problem activating a customer-provided phone which does
not have GPS. Has this changed?
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:09:38 AM

Ernest <hamradiooperator1967@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<8dydndb4Rq9ndUHd4p2dnA@adelphia.com>...
> Anyone have any luck getting a bag phone activated?
>
> Thx Guys
>
> Ernest
> New to verizon

If all else fails and you still need 3 wattts of power, there are
aftermarket bi-directional amps for cell phones. It's a few hundered
bucks+ to set up the amp, antenna and wiring.
Just activating a bag phone would be much simpler, but having all the
benefits and features of a modern cell phone and then the ability to
plug in an external 3 watt amp and antenna, when required, seems like
the best of both worlds. Except for the price.

Cellphone Signal Boosters

http://www.cellantenna.com/Boosters/cellphone_signal_bo...

FWIW, I've read here some time ago, a motorola 7868 startac can be
used with an older analog startac 3 watt car booster, after some
special code entries, at least on the analog band.

-
David
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:14:27 AM

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <i0jEc.133268$0y.114027@attbi_s03>,
> peter_may_day <my_name@yahoounderwear.com> wrote:
> >The problem is the GPS-E911 system. Wireless Carriers are fined up to
$500
> >for every non GPS phone they activate in a market supported by GPS-E911.
> >Here in MA the state does not support it, so there would be no fine to
> >actviate a bag phone.
>
> I thought they were just not allowed to sell phones w/o GPS, but that
> there was no problem activating a customer-provided phone which does
> not have GPS. Has this changed?

The rules sem to vary by Carrier, scroll down to the VZW section for
clarification.
http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/News_Releases/2001/...

--
peter_may_day

To email me, remove underwear, and insert, my name
my_name@yahoounderwear.com

Directory of unlisted phone numbers
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:14:28 AM

"peter_may_day" <my_name@yahoounderwear.com> wrote in message news:<6RlEc.727$%_6.518@attbi_s01>...
> "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <i0jEc.133268$0y.114027@attbi_s03>,
> > peter_may_day <my_name@yahoounderwear.com> wrote:
> > >The problem is the GPS-E911 system. Wireless Carriers are fined up to
> $500
> > >for every non GPS phone they activate in a market supported by GPS-E911.
> > >Here in MA the state does not support it, so there would be no fine to
> > >actviate a bag phone.
> >
> > I thought they were just not allowed to sell phones w/o GPS, but that
> > there was no problem activating a customer-provided phone which does
> > not have GPS. Has this changed?
>
> The rules sem to vary by Carrier, scroll down to the VZW section for
> clarification.
> http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/News_Releases/2001/...

Apparently the FCC can't regulate the states E-911 rollout but works
with the wireless carriers to phase in increasing accuracy of
emergency locating technology.

Can't seem to find any useful info, but it sure seems like it should
be here...

FCC: Enhanced 911

http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/

Dec 2005 was supposedly the date for full phase 2 implementation of
E-911, if I read it correctly. The phones have the GPS capability but
there doesn't seem to be info regarding the required Enhanced 911
supporting equipment infrastructure having been built out.
I watched the hearings in congress concerning E-911 services on
C-SPAN. The rural carriers are having a big problem providing
triangulation, when their towers my be spaced in a long line, down a
counry road. There's lots of E-911 technical, as well as financial
hurdles, especially among rural and smaller size cellular carriers.

I suspect when Verizon starts providing some kind of PAY location
services, the Snaptrack/GPS equipment will be finally connected to the
GPS capable phones. Hopefully the Public E-911 call centers will be
capable of receiving the location info first. Although this is just
speculation.

-
David
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 3:30:18 AM

In article <6RlEc.727$%_6.518@attbi_s01>,
peter_may_day <my_name@yahoounderwear.com> wrote:
>"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
>> In article <i0jEc.133268$0y.114027@attbi_s03>,
>> peter_may_day <my_name@yahoounderwear.com> wrote:
>> >The problem is the GPS-E911 system. Wireless Carriers are fined up to
>$500
>> >for every non GPS phone they activate in a market supported by GPS-E911.
>> >Here in MA the state does not support it, so there would be no fine to
>> >actviate a bag phone.
>>
>> I thought they were just not allowed to sell phones w/o GPS, but that
>> there was no problem activating a customer-provided phone which does
>> not have GPS. Has this changed?
>
>The rules sem to vary by Carrier, scroll down to the VZW section for
>clarification.
>http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/News_Releases/2001/...

According to that document, by December 31, 2003, 100% of new digital
handsets activated nationwide by VZW must be aGPS-capable, and by December
31, 2005, 95% of all VZW customer handsets in service nationwide must
be aGPS capable.

Which means that currently, all *new* phones must be aGPS capable,
but the other deadline means that they are sure going to discourage
activating customer-owned non-aGPS phones, and encourage people to
"upgrade" to aGPS phones.

Unless, of course, that FCC release has been superceded.
July 6, 2004 2:48:25 AM

No it is a hot political issue, that's all..

:-))

Jacob Suter wrote:
> Ernest wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the idea Ron, but AT&T politics will not allow me to go
>> with them. Some time ago they gave millions to an organization that I
>> can not and will not support. I will not go into the reasons because
>> this is not the proper place...
>

> The FCC? ;)
>
> JS

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:04:19 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:48:25 -0400, Ernest <hamradiooperator1967@yahoo.com>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>No it is a hot political issue, that's all..
>
>:-))
>
>Jacob Suter wrote:
>> Ernest wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the idea Ron, but AT&T politics will not allow me to go
>>> with them. Some time ago they gave millions to an organization that I
>>> can not and will not support. I will not go into the reasons because
>>> this is not the proper place...
>>
>> The FCC? ;)

.... You are aware that AT&T sold off ATTWS several years ago and no longer
has anything to do with it.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Whatever you think about anything is wrong." - Dave Barry
!