Disabling a forgotten password(Systems)

I'm considering resetting my Desk Top by removing the jumper plug labeled
PSWD from the jumper. I'm locked out of of Administrator System because I
don't have the password.My question is....Will doing this have an effect on
my files? And without incrimminating myself with my husband by telling him
that I messed it up is there something else that I could tell him happend to
our computer?

Nana Bunny
7 answers Last reply
More about disabling forgotten password systems

    "Nana" wrote:

    > I'm considering resetting my Desk Top by removing the jumper plug labeled
    > PSWD from the jumper. I'm locked out of of Administrator System because I
    > don't have the password.My question is....Will doing this have an effect on
    > my files? And without incrimminating myself with my husband by telling him
    > that I messed it up is there something else that I could tell him happend to
    > our computer?
    >
    > Nana Bunny

    If you mean you can not get into Windows, then this will not work. A jumper
    on the motehrboard will have no impact on the windows password.

    "Nana" <nanbunny007@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > I'm considering resetting my Desk Top by removing the jumper plug
    > labeled
    > PSWD from the jumper. I'm locked out of of Administrator System
    > because I
    > don't have the password.My question is....Will doing this have an
    > effect on
    > my files? And without incrimminating myself with my husband by telling
    > him
    > that I messed it up is there something else that I could tell him
    > happend to
    > our computer?
    >
    > Nana Bunny

    Clearing the CMOS (to reset back to defaults which normally doesn't
    enable a BIOS-controlled password on power up) won't do a thing to clear
    or reset the passwords managed by the operating system. If your husband
    won't provide you with the admin password or will reset your password
    for your account then it is likely that it is not considered as shared
    property and you aren't supposed to be logging into his computer.

    Are you talking about the BIOS password jumper inside the PC? That will
    have no effect on your files. Nor will it have any affect on XP passwords
    if that's the Administrator account you're referring to. Perhaps if you
    explained better, we could better advise.
    --

    "Nana" <nanbunny007@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > I'm considering resetting my Desk Top by removing the jumper plug labeled
    > PSWD from the jumper. I'm locked out of of Administrator System because I
    > don't have the password.My question is....Will doing this have an effect
    > on
    > my files? And without incrimminating myself with my husband by telling him
    > that I messed it up is there something else that I could tell him happend
    > our computer?
    >
    > Nana Bunny

    We had two user icons that came up when you started the computer to log
    onto. One was called (his/hers) it was asigned a password by my husband
    who set up our computer. The other was called (Guest).No password was ever
    asigned to it

    I was plaqying around in (his/her) in Adminstrtor System and the next day
    when I started up the computer (his/hers) was gone and
    replased with a icon that said (Administrator).I cilcked onto it using our
    Password and it doesn't work. I have no problem with logging onto (Guest) but
    when I tery to get into Administrator system on (Guest).
    It tells me that "Access Denied) I don't have permission.
    My husband is out of town and I don't want to get into a argument with him
    by telling what I did.I 'm thinking that I ruied our business files. Is this
    true? if someone could help I'd really appreciate it.
    Nana Bunny

    "Vanguard" wrote:

    > "Nana" <nanbunny007@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > I'm considering resetting my Desk Top by removing the jumper plug
    > > labeled
    > > PSWD from the jumper. I'm locked out of of Administrator System
    > > because I
    > > don't have the password.My question is....Will doing this have an
    > > effect on
    > > my files? And without incrimminating myself with my husband by telling
    > > him
    > > that I messed it up is there something else that I could tell him
    > > happend to
    > > our computer?
    > >
    > > Nana Bunny
    >

    > Clearing the CMOS (to reset back to defaults which normally doesn't
    > enable a BIOS-controlled password on power up) won't do a thing to clear
    > or reset the passwords managed by the operating system. If your husband
    > won't provide you with the admin password or will reset your password
    > for your account then it is likely that it is not considered as shared
    > property and you aren't supposed to be logging into his computer.

    Sounds as if you've somehow deleted the "his/her" account - as normally the
    Administrator account is hidden unless there are not other accounts (other
    than guest) on the system.
    As far as your business files, if they were stored under the account
    "his/her" in "my documents" and somehow you told the system to delete this
    account (or profile), it is very possible all these files are gone - it is
    also possible they still exist, but the account (or profile) is orphaned -
    only an experience PC technician can tell - but if they are deleted, then an
    experienced recovery company may be able to recover most of them - but the
    more you use it, the less likely they are recoverable, as the areas where
    the file(s) used to reside my get over written.
    Your best bet, take the PC to a dependable repair shop (not Best Buy or the
    likes) - research, find someone with a good reputation and let them remove
    the hard drive and insert it as a slave into a computer with software to
    perform recoveries such as these.
    Another note, it is just as much your husband's fault as yours, as any
    important data files should be backed up to CD, tape, external drive or even
    floppy on a regular basis - just in case something happens. I do this
    weekly on all the PC's in my household, 2 Workstations, a desktop and
    laptop. At most I loose a weeks worth of data. You and your husband need
    to seriously look into backup options.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

> [...]

    >> > effect on
    >> > my files? And without incrimminating myself with my husband by
    >> > telling
    >> > him
    >> > that I messed it up is there something else that I could tell him
    >> > happend to
    >> > our computer?
    >> >
    >> > Nana Bunny
    >>

    >> Clearing the CMOS (to reset back to defaults which normally doesn't
    >> enable a BIOS-controlled password on power up) won't do a thing to
    >> clear
    >> or reset the passwords managed by the operating system. If your
    >> husband
    >> won't provide you with the admin password or will reset your password
    >> for your account then it is likely that it is not considered as
    >> shared
    >> property and you aren't supposed to be logging into his computer.

    The Administrator account is displayed (in the Fisher-Price Welcome
    login screen) *if* no other admin-level accounts have been defined.
    Once you define another admin-level account (i.e., your "his/hers"
    account) then the Administrator account got hidden. The Administrator
    account should NEVER be used as normal login account because it is your
    backup account in case your normal account's profile gets corrupted or
    deleted. In fact, I define an Administrator_Backup account as yet
    another backup, and I have my own admin-level account that I use and I
    rarely use the Administrator account.

    Have you tried a blank password? During setup, the user may end up just
    skip entering a password and leave it blank. There are password crack
    programs that you can find in a Google search but I don't know if they
    might cause harm, especially for the freebie password crackers.

    As to whether any files have been lost, that depends on what you were
    doing when you were "playing around" on the *business* computer.
    Hopefully you or your hubby realizes that if the data is actually
    important that it gets backed up. If you don't backup your data then
    you have decided that your data is unimportant.

    Since you hubby is away, at least you won't have him in your face when
    you give him a call. Another course of action to leave the computer
    alone and hope the problem is easily recoverable when he returns. You
    could end up making the situation much worse and what might've been him
    chastizing you for your screwup might actually turn into a full blown
    rowe when he finds you screwed up the computer even worse when trying to
    fix it. The kids aren't supposed to play with matches, but if they do
    and they start a fire then I want them running to me to tell me about
    the fire rather than trying to put it out themselves. I don't want them
    burning down the house because they were afraid of being chastised for
    their screwup. Get a facial, your hair done up, make his favorite
    dinner, and get a sexy nightie to reward him on his return and maybe
    it'll soften his temper regarding your screwup. Diversion might work.

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    Thank you for answering my question.

    Thank you for answering my question.So
    I will do as advised,Oh by the way vanguard I looked at some of your old
    post and you have the personality that is perfect for SFRedbook.com message
    board..

    Nana Bunny

    Nana Bunny

Systems Jumper Windows XP