> ATI : I just upgraded to the current catalyst. At the same time I had to reinstall the OS and all programs. Meaning resetting all preferences in all areas.
> ATI :
> ATI : I don't want to let adobe set up the display. I want the display to be entirely under ATI's control.
> ATI :
> ATI : I can't recall what I did previously to be booting and having the display set correctly.
> ATI :
> ATI : Now I have to boot to a dark desktop, open ATI's display settings to the color tab to get the correct display gamma.
> ATI :
> ATI : I have it set to use a default profile that I did create with adobe gamma, but it's having zero effect.
> ATI :
> ATI : If I set the adobe loader on startup, the ATI will be out of whack. It'll assume it's default boot darkness is still working despite the adobe loader setting things to the correct lighter gamma.
> ATI :
> ATI : What am I missing on getting ATI to boot and switch to the lighter gamma ?

I posted the above to the ATI NG, but I got zero response. I don't really think
anyone in that group has any info on ATI. ATI's real tight with support.

I'm just posting it here case someone has a clue as to how I had it set
previously where the ATI did all the control instead of adobe gamma.

Blast you pccillin. worst virus in 7 years and it came from the virus cleaner
software.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:j9us61l9942gtk7k5ums0ebfsoe91s0d06@4ax.com,
Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> had this to say:

>> ATI : What am I missing on getting ATI to boot and switch to the
>> lighter gamma ?

I'm going to be honest and tell you that I have no idea but no one has
answered your post yet so I do have a suggestion. There are people who are
into the different video cards in the customization group.
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize would be where I'd post that question.

Finally, I use nVidia... Does your ATI come with a driver helper bit of
software that loads on startup? Is there an installation CD that came with
this that has more than just the drivers? With the nVidia I have a whole
extra setting in my advanced section of my display options and I can have a
right click context menu addition (on the desktop) or an item that loads in
the taskbar which will give direct access to it. Does ATI offer something
similar? I've not used ATI since the Rage PRO III model I'm afraid.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:57:36 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:j9us61l9942gtk7k5ums0ebfsoe91s0d06@4ax.com,
>Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> had this to say:

>>> ATI : What am I missing on getting ATI to boot and switch to the
>>> lighter gamma ?
>
>I'm going to be honest and tell you that I have no idea but no one has
>answered your post yet so I do have a suggestion. There are people who are
>into the different video cards in the customization group.
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize would be where I'd post that question.

Well it's worth a try. I'm just resetting all the settings after the PCC crash.
They're all screwed up.

I have to wonder just who all these default settings are perfect as is ?
win 98 wasn't, and now XP pro is definitely not.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:369v61t6u05o4mbv48940h3v9m79rscqku@4ax.com,
Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> had this to say:

> Well it's worth a try. I'm just resetting all the settings after the
> PCC crash. They're all screwed up.
>
> I have to wonder just who all these default settings are perfect as
> is ?
> win 98 wasn't, and now XP pro is definitely not.

Often called DUHFault by those in the know. :)

Husky on 27/04/2005 wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:57:36 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > In news:j9us61l9942gtk7k5ums0ebfsoe91s0d06@4ax.com,
> >Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> > I'm going to be honest and tell you that I have no idea but no one
> > has answered your post yet so I do have a suggestion. There are
> > people who are into the different video cards in the customization
> > group. microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize would be where I'd
> > post that question.
>
> Well it's worth a try. I'm just resetting all the settings after the
> PCC crash. They're all screwed up.
>
> I have to wonder just who all these default settings are perfect as
> is ? win 98 wasn't, and now XP pro is definitely not.

I haven't used ATI, but, from what I've seen, in most card's drivers
you can access Gamma correction via Settings > Advanced > Colour
Adjustment or words to that effect.

Meanwhile, if your screen is too dark on default settings then you may
have to consider getting a new monitor. OK, you can maybe correct it
at present, but, it could be on the way out (it takes time). I had
that problem a struggled on for years, but, recently bought a new
monitor, a LaCie, and now I find brightness, contrast and colour are
perfect with everything set to default...what a relief, no more
twiddling.

Rob

On 30 Apr 2005 22:06:05 GMT, "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote:

>I haven't used ATI, but, from what I've seen, in most card's drivers
>you can access Gamma correction via Settings > Advanced > Colour
>Adjustment or words to that effect.
>
>Meanwhile, if your screen is too dark on default settings then you may
>have to consider getting a new monitor. OK, you can maybe correct it
>at present, but, it could be on the way out (it takes time). I had
>that problem a struggled on for years, but, recently bought a new
>monitor, a LaCie, and now I find brightness, contrast and colour are
>perfect with everything set to default...what a relief, no more
>twiddling.

All you need do is make a trip to the local library, fire up my home page with
the color adjustment charts.

When the ATI was setup right [before the crash, and upgraded ATI drivers, and
catalyst] What I saw on the charts on the library monitors and on my monitor
were identical. IOW: Close enough for me.

Actually I now have it setup again. Just not sure what I did..