New system won't boot DVD-ROM

dpritcht

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I just put together a new system consisting of a Soltek SL-75MRN and a AMD 2500+. When I start up the system, it recongizes the system at 2500, recognizes the hard drive on IDE1 but does not recognize the DVDROM. I have tried several things including using the HDD cable and plugging the DVD Rom into IDE1. The system still did not recognize the drive. It won't even let me open the tray, although the orange light on the front of the tray indicates it does have power. Suggestions?

dpritcht

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Well I was able to get the system to recognize another drive (CDRW), so I guess I will load the OS from this. Is it a good idea to have the CDRW as the master and a DVD drive as the slave?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The system still did not recognize the drive. It won't even let me open the tray, although the orange light on the front of the tray indicates it does have power.
It's a good indication that the drive might be defective. Have you tried it on other systems?
Is it a good idea to have the CDRW as the master and a DVD drive as the slave?
I don't think it's matter.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

dpritcht

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Now the system recognizes the drive, but I cannot load the OS. Once the system gets past the IDE checks, it goes to a blank screen with a cursor in the upper left. Nothing loads from the CD ROM.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
my system will not let me set-up Windows Xp from my DVD drive, I have to boot up with the CD in my CDRW drive (and its the slave !!), it somtimes take 2-3 goes to get the install to work right, have patience, its microsoft...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...