Netscape 8.0 Beta opening multiple tabs at startup

I tried posting this on several Netscape newsgroups but there is so little
traffic there, I did not get any response. I will try here and I apologize
for cross posting........

Windows XP, Netscape 8.0 Beta, on my home and my work computers.

I have been using the Beta version of Netscape 8.0 for a month or so now,
both at home and at work. I have my home page set to www.yahoo.com on both
computers. For the last three days, both at home and at work, when I open
Netscape, it opens Yahoo, but two more tabs open, both going to Netscape
Weather at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/weather/c_select2.jsp

I have run both Ad-Aware and SpyBot, updating each before running, and I
don't have anything that would account for the two tabs opening.

I have WeatherBug on both computers but I don't see how going to Netscape
Weather could be due to WeatherBug.

Does anyone have any ideas why these tabs are opening on their own? How do
I stop this?

It is only mildly annoying but I don't like the loss of control I am
experiencing.

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about netscape beta opening multiple tabs startup

    There's a reason the word "BETA" is in the version - it is just that, not
    ready for Prime Time. Where ever you downloaded if from should have
    instructions on where to post issues/bugs, and you'll have 2 choices -
    uninstall the beta and go back to an earlier RTM version or live with it
    until a new version of the beta comes out or the beta becomes RTM.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Stephen Larivee" <NOlariveeslSPAM@yahoo.PLEASEcom> wrote in message
    >I tried posting this on several Netscape newsgroups but there is so little
    >traffic there, I did not get any response. I will try here and I apologize
    >for cross posting........
    >

    > Windows XP, Netscape 8.0 Beta, on my home and my work computers.
    >
    > I have been using the Beta version of Netscape 8.0 for a month or so now,
    > both at home and at work. I have my home page set to www.yahoo.com on
    > both
    > computers. For the last three days, both at home and at work, when I open
    > Netscape, it opens Yahoo, but two more tabs open, both going to Netscape
    > Weather at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/weather/c_select2.jsp
    >
    > I have run both Ad-Aware and SpyBot, updating each before running, and I
    > don't have anything that would account for the two tabs opening.
    >
    > I have WeatherBug on both computers but I don't see how going to Netscape
    > Weather could be due to WeatherBug.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas why these tabs are opening on their own? How
    > do
    > I stop this?
    >
    > It is only mildly annoying but I don't like the loss of control I am
    > experiencing.
    >
    > TIA

    I understand the meaning of Beta. This sudden change in its behavior,
    happening to both of my computers, leads me to think it is something new
    going on. I did go to the download site, as you suggested, and posted my
    problem there. It is certainly a minor annoyance, but I could easily learn
    to live with it if need be.

    Thanks for your input.

    Stephen Larivee wrote:
    > I tried posting this on several Netscape newsgroups but there is so little
    > traffic there,

    Did you try on the *secure* Netscape server? If you don't set your
    newsreader to use the *secure* server you only see the "public" groups
    which, I agree, have very little traffic, as everyone else uses the
    *secure* server!

    In OE, on the "Advanced" tab of Account Properties you need to check the
    box "This server requires a secure connection"
    Try removing the Netscape News account and re-entering it, checking the
    *secure* box BEFORE downloading newsgroups.

    HTH

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Thank you. I will try that.

    "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Stephen Larivee wrote:
    >> I tried posting this on several Netscape newsgroups but there is so
    >> little traffic there,
    >
    > Did you try on the *secure* Netscape server? If you don't set your
    > newsreader to use the *secure* server you only see the "public" groups
    > which, I agree, have very little traffic, as everyone else uses the
    > *secure* server!
    >
    > In OE, on the "Advanced" tab of Account Properties you need to check the
    > box "This server requires a secure connection"
    > Try removing the Netscape News account and re-entering it, checking the
    > *secure* box BEFORE downloading newsgroups.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Computers Netscape Windows XP