annoying fax calls

Awake

Help!
I get calls on my home phone line from fax machines about 3 nights per week
- usually between 11:30pm and 4:00 am - so it's really annoying. The phone
company says it can't do anything to block them, or give me the number of the
fax machine calling me. Can XP fax program recieve these faxes for me so I
can figure out who is sending them? I have a high-speed cable internet
connection, and that's about all I know about my computer. Thanks-

Yes it can!
You will have to install the fax service.
You will have to plug a phone line into your modem.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

--
Good Day
River Rat

"awake" <awake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Help!
I get calls on my home phone line from fax machines about 3 nights per week
- usually between 11:30pm and 4:00 am - so it's really annoying. The phone
company says it can't do anything to block them, or give me the number of
the
fax machine calling me. Can XP fax program recieve these faxes for me so I
can figure out who is sending them? I have a high-speed cable internet
connection, and that's about all I know about my computer. Thanks-

If you have XP SP2 the fax is already installed. Start the fax console and
configure it. Connect your computer to the phone line. Set the fax to auto
answer just before going to bed. I had the same problem with some company
trying to send me a restaurant menu. They had no address or voice phone. All
was done by fax. I sent them a return fax and never heard from them again.
Not even an apology.

"awake" <awake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help!
> I get calls on my home phone line from fax machines about 3 nights per
> week
> - usually between 11:30pm and 4:00 am - so it's really annoying. The
> phone
> company says it can't do anything to block them, or give me the number of
> the
> fax machine calling me. Can XP fax program recieve these faxes for me so
> can figure out who is sending them? I have a high-speed cable internet
> connection, and that's about all I know about my computer. Thanks-

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:7DA352CC-6BA2-499E-8958-E2041901B5D9@microsoft.com,
awake <awake@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Help!
> I get calls on my home phone line from fax machines about 3 nights
> per week - usually between 11:30pm and 4:00 am - so it's really
> annoying. The phone company says it can't do anything to block them,
> or give me the number of the fax machine calling me. Can XP fax
> program recieve these faxes for me so I can figure out who is sending
> them? I have a high-speed cable internet connection, and that's
> about all I know about my computer. Thanks-

Are you certain it's a fax machine? It could be some idiot either war
dialing or just calling the wrong number with their dialup modem. Caller ID
might help you find the number that they're calling from. The advice given
by the other poster isn't wrong but the question really is, if it is someone
dialing in with another PC do you want to give them the chance to connect to
your modem? I'd wait before setting up my modem to answer inbound calls and
get a CID (caller ID for future referrence) box so that you can see who it
is before you make that choice. There used to be devices that you could
connect to your phone line that would give a standardized signal that would
tell the device calling that it wasn't a data line though I don't think I've
seen one of them for years nor would I have any idea where to get one now.
Perhaps your local RadioShack would have the answer for that or a local geek
can build you one as I'm sure the schematics are available.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:48:02 -0700, awake wrote:

> Help!
> I get calls on my home phone line from fax machines about 3 nights per week
> - usually between 11:30pm and 4:00 am - so it's really annoying. The phone
> company says it can't do anything to block them, or give me the number of the
> fax machine calling me. Can XP fax program recieve these faxes for me so I
> can figure out who is sending them? I have a high-speed cable internet
> connection, and that's about all I know about my computer. Thanks-

I used to get those. The phone company prefers that you contact the caller
and ask them to stop. I was told if the calls continued to report the
number to a department that handled "Annoyance Calls." You may want to call
the phone company again to see if you can get a more sympathetic person in
customer service to help you out.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

awake Wrote:
> Help!
> I get calls on my home phone line from fax machines about 3 nights per
> week
> - usually between 11:30pm and 4:00 am - so it's really annoying. The
> phone
> company says it can't do anything to block them, or give me the number
> of the
> fax machine calling me. Can XP fax program recieve these faxes for me
> so I
> can figure out who is sending them? I have a high-speed cable
> internet
> connection, and that's about all I know about my computer. Thanks-

In addition to this, do a google search for 'telephone prefferance
service' this will lead you to a number of relevant sites, read up on
what this service provides,(basically it means you are registered as
not wishing to receive unsolicited calls / faxes, and persistent
offenders can be brought to book through governmental systems, and can
face fines of up to 5 grand per call/fax) once you register,
telemarketers tend to keep clear.

Paul.

--
Paul Webster