I just built a PC with the following parts:
- MSI K7N2 Delta-L nForce2 Motherboard
- Corsair 512MB PC3200 400MHz 2-32x64 XMS TwinX Dual-Channel DDR Memory 184Pin
- AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Socket A Barton
- ATI 128MB AGP Video Card with RADEON 9200 3D Chip
- Maxtor 60GB L01P060 Ultra Series 8MB Buffer UATA133
- Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI DI5631
- CenDyne 16X DVD drive

I plugged everything in and then powered it up. The 4 LEDs on the back light up in the correct sequence, so it appears that it is booting correctly. But then it shuts down with no error message after several seconds (can range from 5 to 30 seconds). Why?

I tried a the PSU from my current PC and it did the same thing, so it cant be the PSU. I also unplugged the Hard drive, DVD drive and it still did the same thing.

What could be the problem? I'll probably have to return it to Fry's to get a replacement
:(

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya jaimegmr;

That will teach you to buy a mobo that doesnt talk...heheh

make sure the c-mos clear jumper isnt set in the clear position from the factory.

if thats not the problem then check your standoffs.

if thats not it check your second power plug make sure its plugged in to the mobo.

hey isnt all this crap in the Motherboard FAQ?

go read the faq if you cant solve your problem through it then answer back and i will help ya out.

XeeN

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
OMG! LOL! You were right, I did put on the heatsink backwards, how stupid of me! It turns out the PSU was right in front of the side of the CPU socket that has the lever mechanism in it. My HSF would have to be placed on the motherboard before putting the motherboard in the case, otherwise, the PSU would prevent me from using a screw driver to attach the metal hook to the CPU socket plastic. Since I didnt realize this before, I put the HSF on backwards which actually seemed like the better way to do it at first,(because it was easier) but I didnt realize that it was being put on backwards.

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.