Question on System Restore

April 27, 2005 7:25:30 PM

I often use System Restore to undo changes if problems occur with
WinXP/SP2. My question is about "startup items" listed under System
Configuration Utility when MSConfig is run. Recently, my computer was
infected heavily with malicious Spyware (elitebar, Wintask, and others).
Those spyware becomes default startup programs whenever I boot my computer.
I found it hard to remove them by using several well known anti-spyware
programs including the most updated Spy Sweeper. I am wondering whether
System Restore also undo changes on the above startup items. If the System
Restore also restores Startup Items of the old point (say, March 31, 2005
when my computer was almost free from spyware), then those spyware would be
no longer default startup programs. Then, the removal of spyware becomes
easy simply by resorting to System Restore. Am I correct? Craig
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:57:37 PM

Hi Craig,

Restoring the system back that far may be more trouble than it worth.

I would suggest continuing with the spyware removal process. In
Msconfig on the Startup tab look at the Location column, it will
indicate the area where the file in question is loading from. Use that
information to stop the unwanted files from loading.

Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the removal
an prevention of Spyware, Parasites, malware and the like:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_spyware.h...

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User