Crysis Max at 30fps. What do I need?

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'm still waiting for the day to see and play this game in its full glory. I have a 4600+ @ 2.7ghz, 2gb 6400 DDR2, HD4870 1gb, Vista 32.

Obviously that setup isn't cutting it, and i plan on dumping some money into a new build soon. I'd love to know what it takes to run this game in dx10(very high) with 4xAA at a framerate that doesn't dip below 30fps, or is at least 30+ 95% of the time, at at least 1440x900.

I don't need 50fps out of this game, but i certainly don't want to put money into upgrades and find out i'm still dipping below 30fps much of the time.

One thing i've noticed about the majority if not all the games i own is that my ram usage never goes above the 2gb that i have right now, so why do people have 4 to 8 gigs and say it helps? Just using task manager, I've never seen Crysis break 2gb on my system yet. Does having 4gb or more help at all with most games?

randomizer

Champion
If you turn up the eye candy it will use more RAM. Besides, DDR2 is incredibly cheap so there's little reason not to have 4GB of RAM. While the difference between 2GB and 4GB is not even close to the night and day difference when going from 1-2GB, it is there. More RAM means less disk thrashing and less dips in framerate.

Right now I'd be focusing on a new CPU and RAM before anything else, and maybe throwing Vista x64 on there.

whoami33

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Trust me on this: DON'T USE AA IN CRYSIS! there is little to no visual improvement and the drop in performance is cringe-worthy. If you're playing at a decent resolution you don't need AA. believe me

randomizer

Champion
I disagree on the last point. At no resolution do you ever "not need" AA because aliasing still exists. However some people don't really notice it and other can't stand it. For me it depends how intense the game is. I can play L4D without AA but Crysis is a lull most of the time. I just lose too much performance in Crysis so I leave AA disabled anyway.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
You need a core i7 processor over clocked to 3.2Ghz because Core 2 Quad doesn't play nice with OC. Then you need GTX 280 SLI. I was able to max it @ 1920x1200 full blown settings and AA/AF(16x not 32x wasn't out yet). I also agree on the poster's above me configuration is able to max Crysis.

I have a bunch of computer parts here. Last night I put together a machine out of boredom. Similar enough to yours in performance.

asus 939 a8n sli se/ oc'ed 4400/ 4gig ocz/ GTX260 in sli/ 32bit xp/ DX9 ( DX9 graphics really suck in comparison to DX10 ) )

It played the opening movie in Crysis well enough @1680x1050. I got through the first part of the mission up until you got to the second movie where the dead guy gets vaporized up in the tree. ( as I played I turned on aa and got graphic lines/distortion ). Then you go up the hill and get to the open space...... instant hit. Had to crank back to medium settings.
Having played this on other machines the first thing that comes to mind is processor speed. From experience Crysis holds the graphics back until you get to 3.4/3.6 on an Intel core processor.... dual or quad.
You're going to have to invest some money to conquer this game..... and I'll add that FarCry2 is harder on graphics than Crysis.

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
As the OP asked what you need, I thought I'd post my 2 cents. My setup is a Q6600 at 3.4GHz, 8Gb DDR2 @ 1040, 2x 4870 1Gb on a P45 crossfire. I run Crysis at 1920x1200 with every setting on Very High. I can run it just fine (30-40fps) at 4xAA, and can manage 30fps with 8xAA but only indoors - as soon as I go outside to open areas I need to drop it back to 4xAA to keep things from getting very sluggish.

I don't think the 8Gb makes a huge difference and 4Gb would probably be fine. Also not sure if the OC on the Q6600 is having much impact on the game but that's what I run 24/7 so that's what the game gets. Anyway, like I said, just thought I'd confirm 1 cheap(ish) setup that works at 4xAA.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
RAM speed doesn't really matter. That's interesting to see how slow 4 threads runs it at. 8 threads(core i7) manages 16x both ways with GTX 280 SLI. Crysis Wars is stuck at Vsync mostly. Warhead is 35-60 outdoors and regular Crysis performs even better.