Identifying sound card capability?

Not a newby, but this seems a basic question.

I've always had the basic two speakers. Just bought a five speaker
plus subwoofer set. The instructions say to use one type of connection
with a two-channel sound card, a different one with a 4-channel sound
card, and another with 5.1.

Could someone kindly tell me where to look for information about
channel capability? FWIW, this is a two-year-old emachine listed as
having "AC '97 audio".

Thank you.

Maureen Goldman wrote:
> Not a newby, but this seems a basic question.
>
> I've always had the basic two speakers. Just bought a five speaker
> plus subwoofer set. The instructions say to use one type of connection
> with a two-channel sound card, a different one with a 4-channel sound
> card, and another with 5.1.
>
> Could someone kindly tell me where to look for information about
> channel capability? FWIW, this is a two-year-old emachine listed as
> having "AC '97 audio".
>
> Thank you.

The specification sheet for your eMachines motherboard will have that
information. Of course, being an eMachine, expect to find only the bare
minimum of functionality.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

>Maureen Goldman wrote:
>> Not a newby, but this seems a basic question.
>>
>> I've always had the basic two speakers. Just bought a five speaker
>> plus subwoofer set. The instructions say to use one type of connection
>> with a two-channel sound card, a different one with a 4-channel sound
>> card, and another with 5.1.
>>
>> Could someone kindly tell me where to look for information about
>> channel capability? FWIW, this is a two-year-old emachine listed as
>> having "AC '97 audio".

> >Bruce Chambers <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:

> The specification sheet for your eMachines motherboard will have that
>information. Of course, being an eMachine, expect to find only the bare
>minimum of functionality.

Thanks, Bruce. The only thing I can find in the fairly sizable
motherboard booklet is in a grid "built in audio controller".
Refers to
AC '97 2.2 compliant...
16-bit stereo full-duplex codec with independent and variable sampling
rate

If that's it, then it does sound basic.

Could you tell me if any harm would likely be done to either the
computer or speakers if I hooked it up wrong?

Maureen

If you have only three jacks related to sound on the back of your
motherboard/sound card, the best you can hope for is a basic sound
connection to your system.. your sound card would have to be 5.1 compatible
or higher to make full use of your new purchase..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Maureen Goldman wrote:
> Not a newby, but this seems a basic question.
>
> I've always had the basic two speakers. Just bought a five speaker
> plus subwoofer set. The instructions say to use one type of connection
> with a two-channel sound card, a different one with a 4-channel sound
> card, and another with 5.1.
>
> Could someone kindly tell me where to look for information about
> channel capability? FWIW, this is a two-year-old emachine listed as
> having "AC '97 audio".
>
> Thank you.

Maureen,

I don't mean to be unkind, but you're doing everything backwards. You should
have checked compatibility *before* purchasing, not after! You have an
on-board sound chip (not even a card) and it's not even capable of utilising
a subwoofer.

You now have two choices - either return the speakers, or purchase a new
system as eMachines are notorious for being non-upgradeable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Maureen, but you really should have done
your homework first! ;o)

>"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote:

>I don't mean to be unkind, but you're doing everything backwards. You should
>have checked compatibility *before* purchasing, not after! You have an
>on-board sound chip (not even a card) and it's not even capable of utilising
>a subwoofer.
>
>You now have two choices - either return the speakers, or purchase a new
>system as eMachines are notorious for being non-upgradeable.
>
>Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Maureen, but you really should have done
>your homework first! ;o)

Well... the price was good and I'll likely be upgrading in a year or
so to a better computer. The audio system can be considered part of my
hope chest. (And, yeah, you're right, I should've done my homework -
I just didn't realize there was anything to research.)

Maureen

You can buy relatively cheap 5.1 compatible sound cards that will be every
bit as good as what you have now, and you will be able to make better use of
your sound system..

--

> >"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote:
>
>>I don't mean to be unkind, but you're doing everything backwards. You
>>should
>>have checked compatibility *before* purchasing, not after! You have an
>>on-board sound chip (not even a card) and it's not even capable of
>>utilising
>>a subwoofer.
>>
>>You now have two choices - either return the speakers, or purchase a new
>>system as eMachines are notorious for being non-upgradeable.
>>
>>Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Maureen, but you really should have
>>done
>>your homework first! ;o)
>
> Well... the price was good and I'll likely be upgrading in a year or
> so to a better computer. The audio system can be considered part of my
> hope chest. (And, yeah, you're right, I should've done my homework -
> I just didn't realize there was anything to research.)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:19:26 -0700, Maureen Goldman
<inkslinger@FOGsunshine.net> wrote:

>Not a newby, but this seems a basic question.
>
>I've always had the basic two speakers. Just bought a five speaker
>plus subwoofer set. The instructions say to use one type of connection
>with a two-channel sound card, a different one with a 4-channel sound
>card, and another with 5.1.
>
>Could someone kindly tell me where to look for information about
>channel capability? FWIW, this is a two-year-old emachine listed as
>having "AC '97 audio".
>
>Thank you.

Go to newegg.com. Check sound cards. I saw a 5.1 channel card - I think
that's what you need (was mentioned by a person in this thread), for
$10.99. The turtle beach brands look inexpensive too - one was a USB
interface for like $24 - you wouldn't even have to open up the computer.

If you install a card in a slot, I think it will automatically override
the on board.

And despite what one person answered - eMachines does put out some good
low cost solutions and though yes - onboard stuff. They like to use
Athlons not P4s. They leave the P4s up to Gateway (who are the same
company now as eMachines).

But my eMachines came with great nVidia sound chips & decent video too.
(I've added a high end video card since, but what came with was still
pretty good). A Jan. 2004 3200+ Athlon. The new Athlon 3200+ - 3500+ 64s
might even come with better. Athlons started as low end solutions but for
some they are preferred. Gamers like 'em.

You know another good cheap solution is to sell your stuff (speakers) or
return, and just run out of the card and into a regular stereo system's
amplifier. Even though I have the 5 speaker capability, I've done just
that - use a nice but older (no remote non digital - uses dials) one
sub-woofer 2 satellite stereo system - sounds great. Base sound up the
wazoo and good highs too.. As long as the separation of sound is good - 2
ears, 2 speakers. (3 speakers counting sub-woofer).

...D.