Printing to JetDirect via IPX from XP

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 8, 2004 3:41:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

OK, here's my problem:

I connect to my company via vpn, and want to be able to print to my
home printer. This hangs off my home network via a JetDirect box,
which supports TCP/IP and IPX printing. I can't use IP (vpn precludes
this), but can I use IPX? I know nothing of this protocol. How do I
set up a printer?

I found out about adding in the NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible
Transport Protocol and binding it to my XP connections. But how do I
then address the printer?

the JetDirect also supports DLC/LLC and Ethertalk (!)

Sorry for multiple group postings, and any help much appreciated.

More about : printing jetdirect ipx

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 9, 2004 12:11:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Well, you can try installing an IPX stack and tweaking the printer driver to use
it. HP's Install Network Printer Wizard is not a bad tool to use. Frankly,
everything I once knew about Novell Netware and IPX I've now forgotten, so I
can't suggest how to set it all up.

Netware (IPX), DLC/LLC and Ethertalk are all old protocols, rarely used any
more.

You have a software VPN? If the IT people in your company can't help you to set
it up to access your printer, how about installing a second Ethernet card in
your computer? The VPN ought to work with specific Ethernet cards, and you
should be able to set it up to use only the Ethernet card which accesses the
internet. Ethernet cards are cheap these days... Ben Myers

!