Very strange Call of Duty 4 lag problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

technique101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Im getting some pretty strange lagging with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Now i know a good amount about computers and i've fixed lag problems before but i've never had something like this:

Symptoms:
When I click COD4 Multiplayer, it takes like a minute to load staying only on the splash screen

When I click to join a server it takes 10-15sec to start connecting

When I get into the game, it runs smooth for about 2-3 minutes then some major lag hits for like 15 seconds and then goes back to normal. Then it runs smooth for for 2 minutes and lags again for 15 sec and repeat

Same thing happens in single player (except game loads up right away)

What I tried:
Enabled ports, even set to DMZ, that changed nothing.
Reinstalling the game, nothing
Reformatting, nothing
Updating punkbuster with pbsetup, and nothing
I end tasked both punkbusters and tried playing single player and same thing
Played single player offline, still lag
Hooked up directly to modem, nothing
Turned all settings to lowest (including resolution), still same thing
Updated video card drivers (they always were)
Monitored CPU and GPU temps, and they were both fine

My specs easily cover the minimum requirements:
AMD X2 5000+
2gb Ram
Gefore 8600GT

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have no idea what the problem relates too. Any ideas? The game ran fine about 4-5 months ago, but the problem started like 4 months ago.

technique101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I tried it at optimal settings and i also tried playing it on lowest settings with lowest resolution and it still lagged. Its really weird. My other online games seem to have taken a lag hit as well.

trenthatch

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Update your motherboards bios(flash) and try again, could also be faulty hardware, anyway this is weird...test your 'green' nVidia on someone elses PC - LOL :p

cjsaul

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM TOO. I am just now considering (after a year of not being able to play IT) getting a new video card because my primary (regular) monitor burned out in the vid card. I am reading this forum to consider which vid card too get. AND I'd like some answers.

It looks like, Even Call of Duty5 modernWarfare2, Requires greater than ATI1600XT, or, Nvidia Geforce 6600GT.
So, I may check out CD4 again with an way better vid card than my x1050 ATI.
I allready made my RAM be at 2gb.
But, it still didn't work for long (Call o'Duty4).
And, I found many problems with Direct X 9 because !I want to run old games!.

So, I may get it too work by installing a way better VIDEO CARD. Damn!
But Rock On!!

seveor

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
i tried compatibility mode xp, vista, run as admin, another cfg, updated bios, drivers, punkbuster, played single player offline, AND STILL LAG!! help!

with xp/vista run perfect :s

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
i had this problem with my (am2) athlon x2 4000+ using an x1650 card and 1.5gb of 667ram, i fixed most of the slow down by overclocking my cpu, it seems to be somthing to do with amd x2's memory bus. it was like sudden stutters yet the frame rate was fine @42fps constant. very strange problem., never had it with my 3200+@x1900xt + 1gb-ddr400 (939) :pt1cable:

andalo

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
What is you OS?
Does your HHD LED turn on when there is lag?
Try Another HDD, try More RAM, try another OS, try reinstalling ur OS.

Something like that happens, but is when my RAM's free space is enough and becomes the HDD as Virtual Memory, making Bottleneck.. :S

Sorry for my english, is not my native language. :D

jubaty

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
i am having that exact same problem, whenever i play online or singleplayer it lags for a while then gets better, then lags again, etc. Sometimes the audio cuts and repeats especially on singleplayer cinematics. I have been looking for the cause of the problem and have replaced my video card which was a nvidia geforce 8500gt and is now a nvidia geforce 9500gt, and replaced my power supply to an Antec Eathwatts 650w. oh and the lagging happens on all my games but not on videos like youtube or any other site. PLEASE HELP!

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
try this little trick, in nvidia control pannel change pre-rendered frames to 0 , worked a treat in modern warfare 2 :sol: :sol: :D i think its somthing to do with the games engine and this setting does wonder's

djmckie

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I take it you just upgraded your Operating System? well vista and 7 (especially 64bit) need almost 2gig to run on their own. your asking too much from your ram to be running cod as well with only 2gigs. upgrade your ram and you'll see a performance increase on many levels. (Ram helps maps load... more ram, quicker loads)

brat4300

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
My Laptop - Gateway FX 7811

The above laptop is what I am running my COD4 with and I have the same issues as stated above. The lag comes and goes every 30-45 sec while I play multi-player. I have the router ports open, have recently formatted and it all seems to still be a problem.

I can't seem to find a support forum for COD4 and their tech support e-mail gets me no answers.

Anyone fond a fix to this yet? I'm on a wired connection with my wireless shut off. This doesn't seem to affect my WoW(well maybe during 25 mans) or Counter Strike Source.

I'm searching the interwebs but not finding any success... I see issues and fixes for wireless setups but not for wired.

Help please

airsoftchris

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Yeah I'm having the exact same problem, my computer was able to run this game perfectly fine for quite some time then randomly started having this issue where it lags on start up then periodically lags throughout gameplay, both multiplayer and single. And now im starting to have this problem with all my other steam games like Left for Dead and others....so i would much appreciate some help on how to fix it, I've tried the suggestion to change the Maximum pre-rendered frames in the NVidia control panel to 0 and it didn't seem to help.

System Info:
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ (2188 MHz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, 32-bit (Service Pack 2)
DirectX version: 9.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9400 GT
Driver version: 197.13
CUDA Cores: 16
Core clock: 550 MHz
Shader clock: 1375 MHz
Memory clock: 400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 128-bit
Memory: 512 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.94.2C.00.00
IRQ: 18
Bus: PCI Express x16

brat4300

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I fixed my issue... this is my first lappy and I had blown it out a few times but hadn't in a while... I had a furball built up on the exit hole for the airflow. Blew it out and all is good in the world again.

Seems like such a simple fix that it had to be more but a good old blowjob did the trick.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Well I get a little lag, happens maybe every 15 Minutes and for about 3 secs long then it seems fine, can get 35-45 FPS on a laptop with an AMD L310 1.2Ghz CPU (Under minimum required) But I am running all the latest patches for COD4 (1.7 at this time) and grahics set to mid-high end (Ati HD3200 IGP with 256Mb dedicated and 1.5Gb available for texture, Windows 7 Ultimate, 4Gb DDR2-800 Ram). Haven't checked on PC yet but was running training at everything maxed @ 1920x1200 and was getting at least 75+Fps

G

I have a strange problem too :S
Every 8 - 10 minutes, I have 1 or 2 minutes ping 300 and the FPS goes to 5...
And over and over
Please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.