Perfect Laptop Setup

I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use the
same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am on
the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.

Here is what I want to do:
1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
2) All files backed up to the network automatically
a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
over the network
b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
4) Email should be current when I undock
a) All new files should be accessible
b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
when I return to the office.

So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this dream
a reality?

Thanks, Mike
--
Dr. Mike
Network Admin's Nightmare

    This may not be the answer, but it could help:
    Howstuffworks "How to set up a network between two computers in my home
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question353.htm
    --
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    the Holiday Inn Express last night.

    "Dr. Mike" wrote:

    > I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use the
    > same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am on
    > the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.
    >
    > Here is what I want to do:
    > 1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
    > 2) All files backed up to the network automatically
    > a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
    > over the network
    > b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
    > 3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
    > 4) Email should be current when I undock
    > a) All new files should be accessible
    > b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
    > when I return to the office.
    >
    > So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this dream
    > a reality?
    >
    > Thanks, Mike
    > --
    > Dr. Mike
    > Network Admin's Nightmare

    Speak with your work's network administrator - the backbone may/may not be
    in place to support your requirements, but any medium to large company, with
    a stable network backbone should easily be able to implement these
    requirements using a roaming profile and personal folder redirection. Most
    of the laptops on our network are in this configuration.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Dr. Mike" <Dr.Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use
    >the
    > same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am
    > on
    > the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.
    >
    > Here is what I want to do:
    > 1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
    > 2) All files backed up to the network automatically
    > a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
    > over the network
    > b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
    > 3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
    > 4) Email should be current when I undock
    > a) All new files should be accessible
    > b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
    > when I return to the office.
    >
    > So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this
    > dream
    > a reality?
    >
    > Thanks, Mike
    > --
    > Dr. Mike
    > Network Admin's Nightmare

    Therein lies the rub.....When I have a roaming profile established, the
    network overwrites any changes I make while I am undocked. It is, needless to
    say, extremely frustrating to perform disk sleanup operations while traveling
    only to have them reappear as soon as I dock the laptop again.

    You make the statement that "any medium to large company, with a stable
    network backbone, should be able to implement these requirements". So, how do
    I guide my small to medium company with a relatively stable network backbone
    implement my requirements?

    Thanks, Mike

    --
    Dr. Mike
    Network Admin's Nightmare

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

    > Speak with your work's network administrator - the backbone may/may not be
    > in place to support your requirements, but any medium to large company, with
    > a stable network backbone should easily be able to implement these
    > requirements using a roaming profile and personal folder redirection. Most
    > of the laptops on our network are in this configuration.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!
    >
    > http://www.google.com
    > Google is your "Friend"
    >
    > "Dr. Mike" <Dr.Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use
    > >the
    > > same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am
    > > on
    > > the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.
    > >
    > > Here is what I want to do:
    > > 1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
    > > 2) All files backed up to the network automatically
    > > a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
    > > over the network
    > > b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
    > > 3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
    > > 4) Email should be current when I undock
    > > a) All new files should be accessible
    > > b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
    > > when I return to the office.
    > >
    > > So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this
    > > dream
    > > a reality?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Mike
    > > --