Perfect Laptop Setup

a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 9:49:57 AM

I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use the
same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am on
the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.

Here is what I want to do:
1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
2) All files backed up to the network automatically
a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
over the network
b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
4) Email should be current when I undock
a) All new files should be accessible
b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
when I return to the office.

So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this dream
a reality?

Thanks, Mike
--
Dr. Mike
Network Admin's Nightmare

More about : perfect laptop setup

May 1, 2005 3:01:05 PM

This may not be the answer, but it could help:
Howstuffworks "How to set up a network between two computers in my home
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question353.htm
--
I'm no expert, but I did stay at
the Holiday Inn Express last night.

"Dr. Mike" wrote:

> I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use the
> same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am on
> the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.
>
> Here is what I want to do:
> 1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
> 2) All files backed up to the network automatically
> a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
> over the network
> b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
> 3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
> 4) Email should be current when I undock
> a) All new files should be accessible
> b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
> when I return to the office.
>
> So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this dream
> a reality?
>
> Thanks, Mike
> --
> Dr. Mike
> Network Admin's Nightmare

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 10:52:40 PM

Speak with your work's network administrator - the backbone may/may not be
in place to support your requirements, but any medium to large company, with
a stable network backbone should easily be able to implement these
requirements using a roaming profile and personal folder redirection. Most
of the laptops on our network are in this configuration.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Dr. Mike" <Dr.Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for advice on how to setup my laptop/desktop machine. I use
>the
> same machine when at my desk in a docked configuration as I do when I am
> on
> the road. I do have admin privileges on my laptop.
>
> Here is what I want to do:
> 1) One logon id for either docked or undocked configurations.
> 2) All files backed up to the network automatically
> a) I prefer to save to my hard drive as I have been burned while saving
> over the network
> b) I am willing and able to perform a manual backup
> 3) I need access to >50% of my files all the time
> 4) Email should be current when I undock
> a) All new files should be accessible
> b) It would be great if any changes I make through OWA were remembered
> when I return to the office.
>
> So, what do I need to do both server side and client side to make this
> dream
> a reality?
>
> Thanks, Mike
> --
> Dr. Mike
> Network Admin's Nightmare

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 10:05:14 PM

Therein lies the rub.....When I have a roaming profile established, the
network overwrites any changes I make while I am undocked. It is, needless to
say, extremely frustrating to perform disk sleanup operations while traveling
only to have them reappear as soon as I dock the laptop again.

You make the statement that "any medium to large company, with a stable
network backbone, should be able to implement these requirements". So, how do
I guide my small to medium company with a relatively stable network backbone
implement my requirements?

Thanks, Mike

--
Dr. Mike