Lets Kick around the RTS subject again.

Adroid

Distinguished
So whats the new top game? Please don't say starcraft 1. I agree that game was 10 years ahead of its time, still an awesome peice, but after playing supreme commander I think I am gonna go blind zoomed in that far.

My current favs;

Supreme commander (love the style, and the zoom feature)
Company of Heros (I think the controlls are kinda annoying and klunky honestly, but still a fun game for a change of pace)

What am I missing? Didn't like total war series, just not my type.. Considering Dawn of war 2, but have heard its not that "hardcore"

Can't wait for SC2 !

Whats something similiar to Sup Com that I am missing?

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
For more casual I like Demigod. It's probably the only RTS I will try right now besides Starcraft 2 when it comes out. It's not really a competitive game but I've been hearing Dawn of War 2 getting tossed around but I'm not a RTS guy so I couldn't tell you. Oh and there's another one from Stardock that came before Demigod (Sins of a Solar Empire) but it's way too hardcore for me but I had a descent time with it.

GamerKid

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

Adroid If you like supreme commander check out Total Annihilation. Its an older game but there is still a mess of people who play it.

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Imo supcom was decent, Forged alliance did it for me rly.. epic game indeed. Altho gotta h8 it that most ppl pc isnt up for long games whit lotsa units (lag etc) online. Wich is a shame, wich often forces me to just go single player . Also Total was great indeed still rememkber playing that for hours on my p2 450mhz with igp!.

And for CoH, I liked it a lot bot i got bored with it rather quick, idk was to ''generic'' after a few games, buit thats prolly just me.

I still play both SC and Forged,But the rts i played the most (online aswell) is/was Zero hour.

In short *1: zero Hour

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I have played CoH but it's very clunky as you have mentioned, I am eagerly waiting for Starcraft 2 and Command and Conquer 4 as well.

Currently RTS I Play include Dawn of war 2, and Command and Conquer 3 KW Occasionally

Adroid

Distinguished
I been debating DoW 2.. I played the single player demo on steam which was fun, but I am more interested in the multiplayer, and have heard mixxed reviews on it. One of my friends said it was fun, but there were some major balance issues... Any thoughts on that?

Very sorry I missed the 29$ weekend on steam!! Now its back up to 49$

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Total Annihilation is my favourite game of all time and on a modern PC you can easily tweak it up to 5,000 units per player (that's 50,000 total) which can be fun (or crazy if the're all nukes).

tidefan94

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I would say world in conflict. While it's over a year old, it's a very different kind of game, and it has ideas that I have a feeling will be used for a long time in the RTS world.

GamerKid

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

Ohh yah I still play it all the time with my cousin on LAN,have downloaded around 2-3 thousand maps for it. You know a game is good when there is that many maps for it.

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I'd recommend Sins of a Solar empire by Ironclad games.

Its got good enough artificial intelligence to give a good challenge, the graphics are great too, really neat engine with the way you can zoom all the way from viewing a solar system into viewing capital ships right down to individual fighters smoothly.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

Glad to hear you enjoyed DOW II demo. When they first released DOW II it did have some balance issues in multi player, however they released a new patch that has taken care of alot of issues. It is different from DOW series but I find it to be better. Less bulk armies and more down scaled with upgrades and importance placed on keeping the armies you build alive to fight on.

You should of jumped on the $29 deal, I paid full price at $50 at wally world when it first came out.