Dell 4700 - hard boot vs. soft boot

May 1, 2005 3:43:44 PM

My last computer had a reset button, this one doesn't. I used the
reset button on my last one whenever ctrl/alt/del failed to soft boot
my computer.

Here is what Dell Chat tells me to do if ctrl/alt/del doesn't work:

Turn off the system from the power button. Remove the plug to the
power supply from the back off the system tower.Then hold the power
button on the tower down for 10 secs ( with the power cord removed).
Reconnect the power cord and then restart the system.This time do a
normal shutdown.

Fortunately, I haven't needed to do it yet... what a PITA!

What on earth was Dell thinking when they eliminated the reset
button???
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:53:00 PM

Because Windows XP is so stable, and uses the NTFS file system,
chances are highly remote that a restart button would even be necessary.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"sf" wrote:

| My last computer had a reset button, this one doesn't. I used the
| reset button on my last one whenever ctrl/alt/del failed to soft boot
| my computer.
|
| Here is what Dell Chat tells me to do if ctrl/alt/del doesn't work:
|
| Turn off the system from the power button. Remove the plug to the
| power supply from the back off the system tower.Then hold the power
| button on the tower down for 10 secs ( with the power cord removed).
| Reconnect the power cord and then restart the system.This time do a
| normal shutdown.
|
| Fortunately, I haven't needed to do it yet... what a PITA!
|
| What on earth was Dell thinking when they eliminated the reset
| button???

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0517-6, 04/30/2005
Tested on: 5/1/2005 1:53:00 PM
May 1, 2005 7:21:30 PM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 13:53:00 -0500, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Because Windows XP is so stable, and uses the NTFS file system,
> chances are highly remote that a restart button would even be necessary.

Thanks, Carey. My computer will put your theory to the acid test
eventually, because I keep them 5 - 7 years.

:)
sf
!