No audio on Hp Pavilion

For three days now been having a problem with audio device on home PC. In
Device Manager-Sound, there are no exclamation points, red signals, nothing.
The audio device Realtek AC'97 audio has latest driver (3/25/05). When I
check Properties on device there is an indication that the device is working
properly, but when I open the tabs in Properties, the audio, midi and mixer
all say that the driver's been enabled but has not been started. In Control
Manager-Sound and Audio indicates there is no audio device in the PC. Spent
11 hours with HP troubleshooting and they can't find the problem. Can anyone
else help or is time to talk new sound card or even pc?

Specs
Hp Pavilion a622n
Os: MS XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Physical Memory: 512 MB
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
2.08 GHz
PC is little under two years old

1. Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
2. Scroll down to WINDOWS AUDIO.
3. Right-click on this service and select Properites.
4. Set the Startup type to Automatic.
5. Afterward, Start the service.

Additional Help:

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
2. In the Search box type: TROUBLESHOOTER , and hit enter.
3. Click on "Sound Troubleshooter".

Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307918&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"lyarde1175" wrote:

| For three days now been having a problem with audio device on home PC. In
| Device Manager-Sound, there are no exclamation points, red signals, nothing.
| The audio device Realtek AC'97 audio has latest driver (3/25/05). When I
| check Properties on device there is an indication that the device is working
| properly, but when I open the tabs in Properties, the audio, midi and mixer
| all say that the driver's been enabled but has not been started. In Control
| Manager-Sound and Audio indicates there is no audio device in the PC. Spent
| 11 hours with HP troubleshooting and they can't find the problem. Can anyone
| else help or is time to talk new sound card or even pc?
|
| Specs
| Hp Pavilion a622n
| Os: MS XP Home Edition
| Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
| Physical Memory: 512 MB
| AMD Athlon XP 2600+
| 2.08 GHz
| PC is little under two years old

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0517-6, 04/30/2005
Tested on: 5/1/2005 4:33:33 PM

I finnally gave up and bought a Creative Labs external sound card
and installed it. Still there is no pc sound and when I check sound in
Control Manager, computer displays message that there are no audio devices
installed. Help!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
> 2. Scroll down to WINDOWS AUDIO.
> 3. Right-click on this service and select Properites.
> 4. Set the Startup type to Automatic.
> 5. Afterward, Start the service.
>
> Additional Help:
>
> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> 2. In the Search box type: TROUBLESHOOTER , and hit enter.
> 3. Click on "Sound Troubleshooter".
>
> Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307918&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "lyarde1175" wrote:
>
> | For three days now been having a problem with audio device on home PC. In
> | Device Manager-Sound, there are no exclamation points, red signals, nothing.
> | The audio device Realtek AC'97 audio has latest driver (3/25/05). When I
> | check Properties on device there is an indication that the device is working
> | properly, but when I open the tabs in Properties, the audio, midi and mixer
> | all say that the driver's been enabled but has not been started. In Control
> | Manager-Sound and Audio indicates there is no audio device in the PC. Spent
> | 11 hours with HP troubleshooting and they can't find the problem. Can anyone
> | else help or is time to talk new sound card or even pc?
> |
> | Specs
> | Hp Pavilion a622n
> | Os: MS XP Home Edition
> | Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
> | Physical Memory: 512 MB
> | AMD Athlon XP 2600+
> | 2.08 GHz
> | PC is little under two years old
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0517-6, 04/30/2005
> Tested on: 5/1/2005 4:33:33 PM

Reboot into safe mode
remove all sound software and hardware
Reboot into safe mode