Help Rebuilding PC

Zadjen

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I have a emachines t4150 that I've decided to tear apart and put into a new case and I've run into a problem.

I'm using the exact same componets and motherboard is configured the same as when it was in the mini tower, but now that I've moved all the 'guts' into the new tower, my system won't boot. My fans spin (including processor fan), my hard drive spins and the light comes on, power switch works, LEDs work, CD drive works, but I get no video signal.
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that somehow I either damaged the video card or the motherboard. I haven't tried it yet, but when I get home I'm going to hook up an old video card and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, what else can I try? How can I know if my mobo is shot?

Thanks,
Zack

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm guessing you've got a grounding issue. Try running the mobo out of the case to see if thats the problem.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Yes, use only the stand-offs you need.

Furthermore, if the PC speaker is connected properly, and you do not heard any code beeps, then you may want to try re-inserting your CPU, or try another CPU, if you can.

Dave

Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm guessing you have an IDE cable on backwards. Try removing the IDE cables from both the hard drive and CD-ROM, and see if you get a boot screen. If that works, try connecting one cable. IF the problem returns, flip one end of that cable. Then do the other drive.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
emachine is usually the ibm's cyrix processor system. My friend used to have one until he decided that it sucked so bad that he would run it over with his truck. I still laugh about it to this day

Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.