What XP OS to get

May 2, 2005 1:32:05 AM

Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
go with the XP Media Center Edition

More about : question

May 2, 2005 3:15:52 AM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:32:05 -0700, Chuy wrote:

> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
> any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
> go with the XP Media Center Edition

Short answer: No difference. My computer came with Media Edition,
but the OS is called XP Professional when you look into the guts of
the computer.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:23:13 AM

Chuy wrote:
> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
> any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
> go with the XP Media Center Edition

Off to college to learn or to have fun? And what happens
after college? Stick with the Windows XP Professional.
May 2, 2005 3:44:22 AM

Chuy wrote:
> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
> if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
> if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition

Five editions of Windows XP compared
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.m...

--
<- Shenan ->
May 2, 2005 2:47:35 PM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:32:05 -0700, "Chuy" <Chuy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
>any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
>go with the XP Media Center Edition

Just my $0.02, but I'd have got the media edition instead of XP pro if I'd
known it existed. The differences are probably miniscule. But you might do some
more research [unless you have money to burn] and see when M$ is releasing
their NEW OS. Macintosh just released Tiger, and M$ is playing catchup with a
similar OS.

May 2, 2005 8:30:51 PM

xp pro is better

media ed has some burning features disable

"Chuy" <Chuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I
> lose
> any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided
> go with the XP Media Center Edition
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:50:54 PM

Chuy wrote:
> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
> if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
> if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition

If you're going to be using it at college you do not want the MCE. Why? The
latest version (2005 as opposed to 2004) does *NOT* support joining a
network domain and many colleges require that (and it may also be preferable
if you wish to hook up to the college's email system or use their printers).

If you wish to use MCE *AFTER* college, then you can always purchase it at a
later date (it's available as a generic OEM).

It's your call but, if it was me, I'd go with vanilla Pro because I'd want
to hook into the college's network at some point and I have a feeling you'll
be needing to, as well. What if your tutor says to you that he wants you to
email him your assignment? You may need to be able to log on to the colleges
internal network to do that.

And I can tell you that you won't be needing any of the extra features
whilst you're at college You're supposed to be there to work! ;o)

May 2, 2005 11:47:36 PM

Chuy wrote:
> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
> any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
> go with the XP Media Center Edition

The first thing you need to know is: Does the college you're attending
have any specific requirements as far as OS goes? If you'll need to
connect to the school's network, you'll most likely need WinXP Pro.
Neither WinXP Home or the newest rendition of WinXP MCE can be made part
of a domain.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 11:48:23 PM

sf wrote:

> Short answer: No difference. My computer came with Media Edition,
> but the OS is called XP Professional when you look into the guts of
> the computer.

Wrong. WinXP MCE 2005 cannot join a domain, which may be a crucial
point for the OP.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
May 2, 2005 11:48:24 PM

> sf wrote:
>

>> Short answer: No difference. My computer came with Media Edition,
>> but the OS is called XP Professional when you look into the guts of
>> the computer.
>

> Wrong. WinXP MCE 2005 cannot join a domain, which may be a crucial point
> for the OP.
> Bruce Chambers

Can you expound on that a bit Bruce.
I purchased a Dell with media center and everything I have ever seen says
XPpro including the initial screen prior to SP2.
Mel
May 3, 2005 2:36:13 AM

If networking is a negative issue with Media Center, then they should
tell us about it LOUDLY on the OS comparison website. Anything I'd
ever want Pro to do is included with Media Center.

`````````````````````````````

On Mon, 2 May 2005 16:50:54 +0100, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Chuy wrote:
> > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
> > if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
> > if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition
>
> If you're going to be using it at college you do not want the MCE. Why? The
> latest version (2005 as opposed to 2004) does *NOT* support joining a
> network domain and many colleges require that (and it may also be preferable
> if you wish to hook up to the college's email system or use their printers).
>
> If you wish to use MCE *AFTER* college, then you can always purchase it at a
> later date (it's available as a generic OEM).
>
> It's your call but, if it was me, I'd go with vanilla Pro because I'd want
> to hook into the college's network at some point and I have a feeling you'll
> be needing to, as well. What if your tutor says to you that he wants you to
> email him your assignment? You may need to be able to log on to the colleges
> internal network to do that.
>
> And I can tell you that you won't be needing any of the extra features
> whilst you're at college You're supposed to be there to work! ;o)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:47:25 PM

shakey wrote:

> Can you expound on that a bit Bruce.
> I purchased a Dell with media center and everything I have ever seen says
> XPpro including the initial screen prior to SP2.
> Mel

The original WinXP MCE was a superset of WinXP Pro, and could do
everything WinXP Pro could do. The newest version, MCE 2005, has had
some of the networking features hobbled to more closely resemble WinXP
Home, as MCE 2005 is aimed at the home market.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:15:22 AM

In news:14BCD3BA-427D-4BD2-A025-DA645767FBBA@microsoft.com,
Chuy <Chuy@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
> if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
> if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition

Check with the collage you will be attending and find out if they require
joining a domain to access the network. Also inquire if they have a special
pricing for the XP Pro upgrade. Many colleges have special pricing that is a
fraction of the cost of XP Pro and the upgrade to XP pro is very straight
forward.
You will also qualify for academic pricing on Office 2003; so do not opt for
it when you make purchase the computer.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

> shakey wrote:
>>
>> Can you expound on that a bit Bruce.
>> I purchased a Dell with media center and everything I have ever seen
>> says XPpro including the initial screen prior to SP2.
>> Mel
> The original WinXP MCE was a superset of WinXP Pro, and could do
> everything WinXP Pro could do. The newest version, MCE 2005, has had some
> of the networking features hobbled to more closely resemble WinXP Home, as
> MCE 2005 is aimed at the home market.
>

> Bruce Chambers

Nicely explained, Thank you

Mel
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:06:06 AM

I just ordered an evaluation copy of XP 64 bit for $6.42 shipping. Please allow
4-6 weeks for shipping it says...or was that 2-4 weeks; I can't be sure.

I need a new computer to try this out on. What Intel Mobo goes with this OS?
There was the '925' last I heard, but the numbers keep running up.

And, what if I like the evaluation copy? If I have to reinstall Windows later
on, can I use this evaluation copy to reinstall Windows? Can I extract files
from it if needed? Will it be a qualifying version of Windows for the Serbice
Packs and upgrades? When does M$ want my $199????...or was that $299???? What
happens after 120 days?

Does this OS REALLY support 32 bit programs and drivers too? I'm totally
confused!! One M$ sheet says the 64 bit version won't support 32 bit internet
either, yet the sheet I just printed up says there will be no problem with 32
bit anything. I guess that is why it would be an evaluation copy, so the CD is
worth $0.00 after I totally get disgusted with it & before it arrives in my
mailbox totally trashed by the mailman.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:06:07 AM

At the end of the evaluation period, the evaluation version will cease to
function.
You will either need to buy and install the OEM version or go to a different
OS.

All the rest of your 64 bit questions are answered in the 64 bit newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:icfee.5113$eU.2442@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>I just ordered an evaluation copy of XP 64 bit for $6.42 shipping. Please
>allow
> 4-6 weeks for shipping it says...or was that 2-4 weeks; I can't be sure.
>
> I need a new computer to try this out on. What Intel Mobo goes with this
> OS?
> There was the '925' last I heard, but the numbers keep running up.
>
> And, what if I like the evaluation copy? If I have to reinstall Windows
> later
> on, can I use this evaluation copy to reinstall Windows? Can I extract
> files
> from it if needed? Will it be a qualifying version of Windows for the
> Serbice
> Packs and upgrades? When does M$ want my $199????...or was that $299????
> What
> happens after 120 days?
>
> Does this OS REALLY support 32 bit programs and drivers too? I'm totally
> confused!! One M$ sheet says the 64 bit version won't support 32 bit
> internet
> either, yet the sheet I just printed up says there will be no problem with
> 32
> bit anything. I guess that is why it would be an evaluation copy, so the
> CD is
> worth $0.00 after I totally get disgusted with it & before it arrives in
> my
> mailbox totally trashed by the mailman.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:29:33 AM

> At the end of the evaluation period, the evaluation version will
> cease to function.
> You will either need to buy and install the OEM version or go to a
> different OS.
>
> All the rest of your 64 bit questions are answered in the 64 bit
> newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

I can't get this newsgroup in OE6. I even reset the list and it isn't there.

How do you buy an OEM version of 64 bit AFTER you've already brought the machine
home? e-bay?
I guess the OEM policy is part of a newly phased in M$ policy of refusing to
offer support itself. They shove all the responsibility of support onto outside
manufacturers who may not survive as long as the expected life of the OS is.
Seems to me Roxio and Norton quit the support game recently, now M$ Windows OS's
won't be supported because they've gone 100% OEM? This can't be good.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:29:34 AM

The newsgroup is there, I read and post their regularly.
Search for "64"
It is there as long as you are searching the msnews.microsoft.com news
server

As for OEM, that is nothing new.
This OS as others have been is OEM only.
There are sources listed in the above named newsgroups.
There is also a great deal of compatibility information as well as driver
information

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:xqgee.5323> I can't get this newsgroup in OE6. I even reset the
list and it isn't there.

> How do you buy an OEM version of 64 bit AFTER you've already brought the
> machine
> home? e-bay?
> I guess the OEM policy is part of a newly phased in M$ policy of refusing
> offer support itself. They shove all the responsibility of support onto
> outside
> manufacturers who may not survive as long as the expected life of the OS
> is.
> Seems to me Roxio and Norton quit the support game recently, now M$
> Windows OS's
> won't be supported because they've gone 100% OEM? This can't be good.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:12:14 AM

news:o aGofRSUFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
> The newsgroup is there, I read and post their regularly.
> Search for "64"
> It is there as long as you are searching the msnews.microsoft.com news
> server

Ahhh, thanks for mentioning the newsserver. That made all the difference.
I found the newsgroup. Apparently, I had used that newsserver once before and it
was still around.
!