What XP OS to get

Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
go with the XP Media Center Edition
18 answers Last reply
More about what

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:32:05 -0700, Chuy wrote:

    > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
    > any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
    > go with the XP Media Center Edition

    Short answer: No difference. My computer came with Media Edition,
    but the OS is called XP Professional when you look into the guts of
    the computer.

    Chuy wrote:
    > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
    > any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
    > go with the XP Media Center Edition

    Off to college to learn or to have fun? And what happens
    after college? Stick with the Windows XP Professional.

    Chuy wrote:
    > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
    > if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
    > if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition

    Five editions of Windows XP compared
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:32:05 -0700, "Chuy" <Chuy@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
    >any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
    >go with the XP Media Center Edition

    Just my $0.02, but I'd have got the media edition instead of XP pro if I'd
    known it existed. The differences are probably miniscule. But you might do some
    more research [unless you have money to burn] and see when M$ is releasing
    their NEW OS. Macintosh just released Tiger, and M$ is playing catchup with a
    similar OS.

    xp pro is better

    media ed has some burning features disable

    Chuy wrote:
    > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
    > if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
    > if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition

    If you're going to be using it at college you do not want the MCE. Why? The
    latest version (2005 as opposed to 2004) does *NOT* support joining a
    network domain and many colleges require that (and it may also be preferable
    if you wish to hook up to the college's email system or use their printers).

    If you wish to use MCE *AFTER* college, then you can always purchase it at a
    later date (it's available as a generic OEM).

    It's your call but, if it was me, I'd go with vanilla Pro because I'd want
    to hook into the college's network at some point and I have a feeling you'll
    be needing to, as well. What if your tutor says to you that he wants you to
    email him your assignment? You may need to be able to log on to the colleges
    internal network to do that.

    And I can tell you that you won't be needing any of the extra features
    whilst you're at college You're supposed to be there to work! ;o)

    Chuy wrote:
    > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering if I lose
    > any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional if I decided to
    > go with the XP Media Center Edition

    The first thing you need to know is: Does the college you're attending
    have any specific requirements as far as OS goes? If you'll need to
    connect to the school's network, you'll most likely need WinXP Pro.
    Neither WinXP Home or the newest rendition of WinXP MCE can be made part
    of a domain.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    sf wrote:

    > Short answer: No difference. My computer came with Media Edition,
    > but the OS is called XP Professional when you look into the guts of
    > the computer.

    Wrong. WinXP MCE 2005 cannot join a domain, which may be a crucial
    point for the OP.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > sf wrote:
    >

    >> Short answer: No difference. My computer came with Media Edition,
    >> but the OS is called XP Professional when you look into the guts of
    >> the computer.
    >

    > Wrong. WinXP MCE 2005 cannot join a domain, which may be a crucial point
    > for the OP.
    > Bruce Chambers

    Can you expound on that a bit Bruce.
    I purchased a Dell with media center and everything I have ever seen says
    XPpro including the initial screen prior to SP2.
    Mel

    If networking is a negative issue with Media Center, then they should
    tell us about it LOUDLY on the OS comparison website. Anything I'd
    ever want Pro to do is included with Media Center.

    `````````````````````````````

    shakey wrote:

    > Can you expound on that a bit Bruce.
    > I purchased a Dell with media center and everything I have ever seen says
    > XPpro including the initial screen prior to SP2.
    > Mel

    The original WinXP MCE was a superset of WinXP Pro, and could do
    everything WinXP Pro could do. The newest version, MCE 2005, has had
    some of the networking features hobbled to more closely resemble WinXP
    Home, as MCE 2005 is aimed at the home market.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:14BCD3BA-427D-4BD2-A025-DA645767FBBA@microsoft.com,
    Chuy <Chuy@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Looking to get a new desktop to take to college and i was wondering
    > if I lose any key features that I would be getting in XP Profesional
    > if I decided to go with the XP Media Center Edition

    Check with the collage you will be attending and find out if they require
    joining a domain to access the network. Also inquire if they have a special
    pricing for the XP Pro upgrade. Many colleges have special pricing that is a
    fraction of the cost of XP Pro and the upgrade to XP pro is very straight
    forward.
    You will also qualify for academic pricing on Office 2003; so do not opt for
    it when you make purchase the computer.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    > shakey wrote:
    >>
    >> Can you expound on that a bit Bruce.
    >> I purchased a Dell with media center and everything I have ever seen
    >> says XPpro including the initial screen prior to SP2.
    >> Mel
    > The original WinXP MCE was a superset of WinXP Pro, and could do
    > everything WinXP Pro could do. The newest version, MCE 2005, has had some
    > of the networking features hobbled to more closely resemble WinXP Home, as
    > MCE 2005 is aimed at the home market.
    >

    > Bruce Chambers

    Nicely explained, Thank you

    Mel
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I just ordered an evaluation copy of XP 64 bit for $6.42 shipping. Please allow
    4-6 weeks for shipping it says...or was that 2-4 weeks; I can't be sure.

    I need a new computer to try this out on. What Intel Mobo goes with this OS?
    There was the '925' last I heard, but the numbers keep running up.

    And, what if I like the evaluation copy? If I have to reinstall Windows later
    on, can I use this evaluation copy to reinstall Windows? Can I extract files
    from it if needed? Will it be a qualifying version of Windows for the Serbice
    Packs and upgrades? When does M$ want my $199????...or was that $299???? What
    happens after 120 days?

    Does this OS REALLY support 32 bit programs and drivers too? I'm totally
    confused!! One M$ sheet says the 64 bit version won't support 32 bit internet
    either, yet the sheet I just printed up says there will be no problem with 32
    bit anything. I guess that is why it would be an evaluation copy, so the CD is
    worth $0.00 after I totally get disgusted with it & before it arrives in my
    mailbox totally trashed by the mailman.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    At the end of the evaluation period, the evaluation version will cease to
    function.
    You will either need to buy and install the OEM version or go to a different
    OS.

    All the rest of your 64 bit questions are answered in the 64 bit newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:icfee.5113$eU.2442@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
    >I just ordered an evaluation copy of XP 64 bit for $6.42 shipping. Please
    >allow
    > 4-6 weeks for shipping it says...or was that 2-4 weeks; I can't be sure.
    >
    > I need a new computer to try this out on. What Intel Mobo goes with this
    > OS?
    > There was the '925' last I heard, but the numbers keep running up.
    >
    > And, what if I like the evaluation copy? If I have to reinstall Windows
    > later
    > on, can I use this evaluation copy to reinstall Windows? Can I extract
    > files
    > from it if needed? Will it be a qualifying version of Windows for the
    > Serbice
    > Packs and upgrades? When does M$ want my $199????...or was that $299????
    > What
    > happens after 120 days?
    >
    > Does this OS REALLY support 32 bit programs and drivers too? I'm totally
    > confused!! One M$ sheet says the 64 bit version won't support 32 bit
    > internet
    > either, yet the sheet I just printed up says there will be no problem with
    > 32
    > bit anything. I guess that is why it would be an evaluation copy, so the
    > CD is
    > worth $0.00 after I totally get disgusted with it & before it arrives in
    > my
    > mailbox totally trashed by the mailman.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > At the end of the evaluation period, the evaluation version will
    > cease to function.
    > You will either need to buy and install the OEM version or go to a
    > different OS.
    >
    > All the rest of your 64 bit questions are answered in the 64 bit
    > newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    I can't get this newsgroup in OE6. I even reset the list and it isn't there.

    How do you buy an OEM version of 64 bit AFTER you've already brought the machine
    home? e-bay?
    I guess the OEM policy is part of a newly phased in M$ policy of refusing to
    offer support itself. They shove all the responsibility of support onto outside
    manufacturers who may not survive as long as the expected life of the OS is.
    Seems to me Roxio and Norton quit the support game recently, now M$ Windows OS's
    won't be supported because they've gone 100% OEM? This can't be good.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The newsgroup is there, I read and post their regularly.
    Search for "64"
    It is there as long as you are searching the msnews.microsoft.com news
    server

    As for OEM, that is nothing new.
    This OS as others have been is OEM only.
    There are sources listed in the above named newsgroups.
    There is also a great deal of compatibility information as well as driver
    information

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
    message news:xqgee.5323> I can't get this newsgroup in OE6. I even reset the
    list and it isn't there.

    > How do you buy an OEM version of 64 bit AFTER you've already brought the
    > machine
    > home? e-bay?
    > I guess the OEM policy is part of a newly phased in M$ policy of refusing
    > offer support itself. They shove all the responsibility of support onto
    > outside
    > manufacturers who may not survive as long as the expected life of the OS
    > is.
    > Seems to me Roxio and Norton quit the support game recently, now M$
    > Windows OS's
    > won't be supported because they've gone 100% OEM? This can't be good.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > The newsgroup is there, I read and post their regularly.
    > Search for "64"
    > It is there as long as you are searching the msnews.microsoft.com news
    > server

    Ahhh, thanks for mentioning the newsserver. That made all the difference.
    I found the newsgroup. Apparently, I had used that newsserver once before and it
    was still around.

Desktops Media Center Microsoft Windows XP