merc for amazon

Hi,

What's the best merc for an amazon. I'm building a hybridzone.
Thanks for your advice

Greetings,

Newslord

As unsatisfying as it sounds, there is no "best" choice. It depends on many
factors including:
-Your main skill choices (attack types, penetrate, etc.)
-Your items, charms, weapons, armor, etc.
-Your game type (HC or SC)
-Your personal gaming style (aggressive, slow-n-steady, etc.)
-The size of games you play in (single player, 1-2 player, or full
9-player games)
-Your "mission" (questing, magic finding, dueling, PK'ing, etc.)
-Many more

Three merc types spring to my mind as being the most common choices and all
of them are act 2 mercs. They are:

-Holy Freeze merc - Act 2 Nightmare, Defensive
If you are getting overwhelmed by critters and want to slow them down
-Might merc - Act 2 Nightmare, Offensive
If you are killing too slowly and want to increase your damage. At high
level, damage is about doubled. But only your physical damage, I think.
-Blessed Aim merc - Act 2 normal or hell, offensive
If you are having trouble maintaining the attack rating necessary to
give you a good chance to hit. I recommend always having a % chance to hit
of 85% or more.

Please don't anyone flame me for omitting your favorite merc. As I said
earlier, there are many viable choices that make sense in certain
situations. The three I mentioned are just those I have seen most in use.
I hope this helps, Newslord.

G'day,

Vinish

Jim Young wrote:
> As unsatisfying as it sounds, there is no "best" choice. It depends on many
> factors including:
> -Your main skill choices (attack types, penetrate, etc.)
> -Your items, charms, weapons, armor, etc.
> -Your game type (HC or SC)
> -Your personal gaming style (aggressive, slow-n-steady, etc.)
> -The size of games you play in (single player, 1-2 player, or full
> 9-player games)
> -Your "mission" (questing, magic finding, dueling, PK'ing, etc.)
> -Many more
>
> Three merc types spring to my mind as being the most common choices and all
> of them are act 2 mercs. They are:
>
> -Holy Freeze merc - Act 2 Nightmare, Defensive
> If you are getting overwhelmed by critters and want to slow them down
> -Might merc - Act 2 Nightmare, Offensive
> If you are killing too slowly and want to increase your damage. At high
> level, damage is about doubled. But only your physical damage, I think.
> -Blessed Aim merc - Act 2 normal or hell, offensive
> If you are having trouble maintaining the attack rating necessary to
> give you a good chance to hit. I recommend always having a % chance to hit
> of 85% or more.
>
> Please don't anyone flame me for omitting your favorite merc. As I said
> earlier, there are many viable choices that make sense in certain
> situations. The three I mentioned are just those I have seen most in use.
> I hope this helps, Newslord.
>
> G'day,
>
> Vinish
>

> "Newslord" <newslord@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>What's the best merc for an amazon. I'm building a hybridzone.
>>Thanks for your advice
>>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>Newslord

Hi Vinish,

Thanks for your advice

Greetings,

Newslord

I haven't done much with hybridazons, so I could be pointing you in the
wrong direction. With my strafazon, I have an Offensive normal/hell
merc... increases damage with Might aura. I have given him an Insight
stick (eth colossus voulge) to help with my mana, Crown of Thieves for
leech and Fortitude armor for added damage. He's rugged and dies
rarely.

RegNitto

In article <d8uif1.21o.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:

>I am currently trying something new. I'm using a blessed aim merc with a HC
>strafeazon. I'm hoping to be able to put the points I'd normally put in dex
>into vit and attain high enough hit-points to survive. :) Sort of an
>anti-glass cannon.
>
>Probably take a while to kill things though. Plus I'm gonna have to try to
>find weapons that don't require too much dex but are still quite fast. (I
>haven't really done a viability study, I'm just doing it. Could be a
>mistake.........) Gonna give the merc an Insight stick too so I don't have
>to worry about points in energy or mana leech.
>
>I'm thinking max Valk and take it really slowly. :)

Although I don't have much experience with Amazon's, one thing to keep in
mind: Dex on a Bowazon is not only pumped to provide AR (which is also
provided by several of her key skills), but also because every point in
Dex also adds quite nicely to the damage done by the bow...

So if you keep Dex low, but get your AR up, you can hit easily, but are
missing some damage...? So it could indeed be slow going...

Something to keep in mind perhaps...

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn held her like they did by the lake on Naboo, while posting
79e9f$42b29faa$82a1d3bf$11347@news1.tudelft.nl to this Interweb chatroom:

> In article <d8uif1.21o.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
> ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> I am currently trying something new. I'm using a blessed aim merc
>> with a HC strafeazon. I'm hoping to be able to put the points I'd
>> normally put in dex into vit and attain high enough hit-points to
>> survive. :) Sort of an anti-glass cannon.
>>
>> Probably take a while to kill things though. Plus I'm gonna have to
>> try to find weapons that don't require too much dex but are still
>> quite fast. (I haven't really done a viability study, I'm just doing
>> it. Could be a mistake.........) Gonna give the merc an Insight
>> stick too so I don't have to worry about points in energy or mana
>> leech.
>>
>> I'm thinking max Valk and take it really slowly. :)
>
> Although I don't have much experience with Amazon's, one thing to
> keep in mind: Dex on a Bowazon is not only pumped to provide AR
> (which is also provided by several of her key skills), but also
> because every point in Dex also adds quite nicely to the damage done
> by the bow...

Also, a Might merc is the normal choice for a Strafer, so you'll be losing
quite a chunk of damage there. Still, you know all about me and
experiments...

> So if you keep Dex low, but get your AR up, you can hit easily, but
> are missing some damage...? So it could indeed be slow going...

Unless you use the enchant slave liberally and get LOTS of Pierce...and
Freezing Arrow...

Oh dear. Now look what I've done.

20 Strafe
20 Freezing/Cold Arrow
20 Valk
Enough Pierce to get 100% with Itamz
Rest in Passives
Demon Limb on switch, for those of you without a second CD Key

Now, will the cold splash carry the Enchant dmg with it?

--
Convention says my name, along with a witticism or poignant quote, should go
here.

"Chris Lansdell" <lansdellicious@gmail.com> writes:
>Now, will the cold splash carry the Enchant dmg with it?

No, only cold damage (at least that's what is displayed); at least
that's what I guess because you don't get any other non-cold add-ons
in the Freezing Arrow splash, either (e.g., the fire damage of the
Kuko, or lightning damage from a charm).

- anton

In article <42b2d2de@news.orcon.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> So if you keep Dex low, but get your AR up, you can hit easily, but
>> are missing some damage...? So it could indeed be slow going...
>>
>> Something to keep in mind perhaps...
>
>Yes, thanks. I'm just thinking about a viable build for HC for someone with
>a bad connection (Me). That normally means lots of life. I have three PCs/CD
>keys and BO and Enchant slaves but it would be nice to have a character
>that's usable without all the buffing.

Sounds like a plan for HC (which I have no experience at all with). At
least an Amazon gets 3 life per 1 Vit, so you can pump life quite a bit
using this method.

Isn't it a problem with a bad connection to aim the arrows right? (Just
another thing I noticed when throwing Gimmershreds with my Zealot, aiming
is a problem when the lag is high...)

Regards,

Patrick.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in

> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>> In article <d8uif1.21o.1@fairground.synaptic.net.nz>,
>> ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> I am currently trying something new. I'm using a blessed aim merc
>>> with a HC strafeazon. I'm hoping to be able to put the points I'd
>>> normally put in dex into vit and attain high enough hit-points to
>>> survive. :) Sort of an anti-glass cannon.
>>>
>>> Probably take a while to kill things though. Plus I'm gonna have to
>>> try to find weapons that don't require too much dex but are still
>>> quite fast. (I haven't really done a viability study, I'm just doing
>>> it. Could be a mistake.........) Gonna give the merc an Insight
>>> stick too so I don't have to worry about points in energy or mana
>>> leech.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking max Valk and take it really slowly. :)
>>
>> Although I don't have much experience with Amazon's, one thing to
>> keep in mind: Dex on a Bowazon is not only pumped to provide AR
>> (which is also provided by several of her key skills), but also
>> because every point in Dex also adds quite nicely to the damage done
>> by the bow...
>>
>> So if you keep Dex low, but get your AR up, you can hit easily, but
>> are missing some damage...? So it could indeed be slow going...
>>
>> Something to keep in mind perhaps...
>
> Yes, thanks. I'm just thinking about a viable build for HC for someone
> with a bad connection (Me). That normally means lots of life. I have
> three PCs/CD keys and BO and Enchant slaves but it would be nice to
> have a character that's usable without all the buffing.
> --
> ~misfit~

I too have a poor connection and a love of HC play. I usually play
lightning/death sentry assassins, sometimes with a touch of blade fury
for variety.

Right now I am playing a magic arrow amazon (I haven't played a 'zon
since D2 classic), and she's a lot of fun. After 13 points in MA, it's
free, so you don't need any mana at all. I currently have a double bow
with the EDGE runeword, and a holy freeze merc. I've 147 in VIT, 137 in
DEX, and 78 in STR (including adjustments for equipment and charms).
VALK is maxed and I've a few in pierce and critical strike. Now I'm
working on maxing MA, then I'll max decoy.

All the other passives have one point, and MA is the only thing outside
the magic and passive tree where I have any points at all.

I plan to keep vitality and dexterity pretty close to the same level; I
think I've enough in strength already. I'd like to put EDGE in a great
bow, but the strength requirement is just too much, so I'll probably do
it with a blade bow, unless I get lucky and find some really good unique
(not too probable).

I'm level 53 and working through to the arcane sanctuary in nightmare,
solo. Playing with Orion and the crew is more fun, but I spend half the
time frozen as soon as we run into a pack, which is no fun for me or for
anyone I'm playing with, so that's what I'm up to at the moment.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Lag (and, admittedly, a little cockiness on my part) cost me my lvl 51
Sorceress against Duriel. Seems a lag spike can really screw up using
Static Charge. I guess that's where Necro's and other summoners have an
advantage, summoned minions aren't affected by lag.
Ah well, there's always my Necro (lvl 41) or Amazon (lvl 45) to fall
back on.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'