unable to connect to Internet

This is my first attempt at making wireless connection so please bear with
me.

I have NetGear MA111 Wireless USB Adaptor and a NetGear Router. I running
Windows 98 and my ISP is Comcast. I have installed the adaptor and it has
successfully made the connection to the router with signal strength and
quality at 100%. However, I am unable to access the Internet.

NetGear advised me to do the following:

In regards to your issue please provide static ip address in your
computer. To assign static ip address follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network.
2. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP for the Network Adapter under
General tab and click on Properties.
3. Specify an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.x with the subnet
mask as 255.255.255.0
4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
5. Click on DNS Configurations and Enable DNS and type the host name
and assign the Preferred and Alternate DNS address as 192.168.0.1 and
4.2.2.2 under DNS Server Search Order and click Ok and restart the
computer.

I did this (except in step 5 there is no pace to enter Preferred and
Alternate DNS address) with no success.

I have provided my results to NetGear but no response.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

That is exactly what happened to me. I have a Linksys cable modem and
a Linksys WRT54GS router. My notebook, which is running Windows XP
Pro, has built-in wireless capability (Dell Latitude D800 with Intel
Centrino Technology), which has signal strength of 11 Mbits with the
router. My desktop with Windows 98 SE was and, unfortunately, still is
connected to the router with an Ethernet FastCat5 cable.

Because I wanted the desktop to have wireless capability, I removed
the Ethernet cable from the desktop and installed a NetGear MG111
wireless USB adaptor. Although the adaptor had excellent signal
strength with the router, I never could access Internet with it. Why
did I purchase a NetGear adaptor rather than a Linksys adaptor?
Because Linksys 802.11g adaptors require either Windows 2000 or
Windows XP, whereas the NetGear 802.11g adaptor is supposed to be
compatible with Windows 98 SE.

After many futile attempts, I gave up, removed the adaptor,
re-connected the Ethernet cable to the desktop, and am back on the
Internet with my desktop. I have now decided to upgrade Windows on the
desktop from 98 SE to XP Pro. After the upgrade, I will see if I can
get the NetGear USB wireless adaptor to work with it. If it does, I
can move the modem and router to a more central location in the house.
Otherwise, the NetGear USB wireless adaptor is little more than a
light paperweight. Maybe I can peddle the damn thing on eBay?

John

"daddio" <info@daddiorecords.com> wrote in message news:<LMOdne_kZt_IwN_cRVn-uA@comcast.com>...
> This is my first attempt at making wireless connection so please bear with
> me.
>
> I have NetGear MA111 Wireless USB Adaptor and a NetGear Router. I running
> Windows 98 and my ISP is Comcast. I have installed the adaptor and it has
> successfully made the connection to the router with signal strength and
> quality at 100%. However, I am unable to access the Internet.
>
> NetGear advised me to do the following:
>
> In regards to your issue please provide static ip address in your
> computer. To assign static ip address follow the steps below:
>
> 1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network.
> 2. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP for the Network Adapter under
> General tab and click on Properties.
> 3. Specify an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.x with the subnet
> mask as 255.255.255.0
> 4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
> 5. Click on DNS Configurations and Enable DNS and type the host name
> and assign the Preferred and Alternate DNS address as 192.168.0.1 and
> 4.2.2.2 under DNS Server Search Order and click Ok and restart the
> computer.
>
> I did this (except in step 5 there is no pace to enter Preferred and
> Alternate DNS address) with no success.
>
> I have provided my results to NetGear but no response.
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

"daddio" <info@daddiorecords.com> wrote in message
> This is my first attempt at making wireless connection so please bear with
> me.
>
> I have NetGear MA111 Wireless USB Adaptor and a NetGear Router. I running
> Windows 98 and my ISP is Comcast. I have installed the adaptor and it has
> successfully made the connection to the router with signal strength and
> quality at 100%. However, I am unable to access the Internet.
>
> NetGear advised me to do the following:
>
> In regards to your issue please provide static ip address in your
> computer. To assign static ip address follow the steps below:
>
> 1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network.
> 2. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP for the Network Adapter under
> General tab and click on Properties.
> 3. Specify an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.x with the subnet
> mask as 255.255.255.0
> 4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
> 5. Click on DNS Configurations and Enable DNS and type the host name
> and assign the Preferred and Alternate DNS address as 192.168.0.1 and
> 4.2.2.2 under DNS Server Search Order and click Ok and restart the
> computer.
>
> I did this (except in step 5 there is no pace to enter Preferred and
> Alternate DNS address) with no success.
>
> I have provided my results to NetGear but no response.
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

I gather from Netgear's suggestion that your computer is not obtaining an IP
address from the router. I would ignore Netgear's suggestion, and try to
find out why the computer didn't get an address.

Check the wireless adapter's IP configuration and make sure it's set to
"Automatically obtain an IP Address." Make sure that the DNS is automatic
too.

Connect the computer to the router via Ethernet cable. Does the computer
obtain an IP address from the router over the wire? If so, then the
router's DHCP server is working. Just to be sure, PING the router from the
computer.

Surf to the router's IP address and login to the router's administration
screen. Ensure that WEP encryption is turned off. After you get it working
without WEP you can consider turning it on. Apply the changes, and reboot
the router if necessary.

Disconnect the Ethernet cable. Try to connect wirelessly. If it connects,
run winipcfg to see if you obtained an IP address. Make sure you look at
the correct adapter in winipcfg. If an address was obtained, try to PING
the router from the computer; if that works, you're done! Any problems
beyond this aren't wireless problems.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:02:11 -0400, "daddio" <info@daddiorecords.com>
wrote:

>I have NetGear MA111 Wireless USB Adaptor and a NetGear Router. I running
>Windows 98 and my ISP is Comcast. I have installed the adaptor and it has
>successfully made the connection to the router with signal strength and
>quality at 100%. However, I am unable to access the Internet.

Can you access the web based configuration utility in the unpsecified
model Netgear router? I can't tell from your description if you are
doing the configuration via wireless, or via a wired LAN connection.
If you have good signal, but not traffic, my guess(tm) is that you do
not the WEP or WPA encryption setup correctly.

Also, can you browse the internet with a wired LAN connection to the
unspecified Netgear router? Do this first and ignore the MA111 until
you get the router on the internet.

Are you running Windoze 98 first edition, or second edition? Right
click on "My Computah" and select proporties. If it says 2nd edition,
you win. If it says 1998, you may have a problem as USB devices were
not really supported and I've found that the various USB updates and
fixed don't really work. However, if you're able to get a decent
signal indication, yours apparently works.

>NetGear advised me to do the following:
>In regards to your issue please provide static ip address in your
>computer. To assign static ip address follow the steps below:
(...)

Stop. This sounds like a boilerplate answer to some other issue.
What is obvious is that you're not getting an IP address for the MA111
from the router. This is another reason I suspect WEP or WPA setup.
If encryption is screwed up, you will not get an IP address until it's
fixed (or disabled).

I suggest you start over. If you're able to browse the internet with
a wired connection to router, put the settings back to where you
started. If you can't remember them, perform a hard reset to defaults
on the router and start over from scratch.

1. First, get it back on the internet with a wired connection.
2. Make sure you can browse the internet from a wired connection.
3. Initially setup the router for no encryption (WEP and WPA off).
4. Fire up the MA111 and try to connect to your access point. Turn
off encryption for now. Check if you have a valid IP address by
opening a DOS window and running:
IPCONFIG
If it's 192.168.0.xxx, you win. If it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, you lose.
Run:
IPCONFIG /release_all or IPCONFIG /release
IPCONFIG /renew_all or IPCONFIG /renew
to demand a new IP address. Do not blunder onward until you have an
IP address.
5. Now that you have an IP address, try to browse the internet. It
should work.
6. Now that's it's working, turn encryption back on, and set a WPA
shared key on both the router and the MA111 setup.

>I have provided my results to NetGear but no response.

Hint: Supply as many *NUMBERS* as you can to get decent answers.
That means the model number of your Netgear router, the version of the
firmware, the exact operating system you're using, the version number
of the MA111, and some clue as to what you've done to make this mess.
Little wonder you got a boiler plate answer.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> 4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1

Only if this IS the address of your router.... check

Ping router at correct address... do you get aresponse?

Try 'tracert www.yahoo.com' at a command prompt... are you getting to and
beyond the router?

Guy

Thank you for assisting me. I tried what you suggested. Here are my
results:

I changed the IP Configuration to 'Obtain IP address automatically'.
I set DNS Config to 'enabled'
I have been using this computer to access teh Internet via this same router
via a wire. I did ping teh IP address as you suggested and the result was
positive.

I didn't understand how to surf the routers IP and login to administration
(a network novice, I'm afraid)

I did connect wirelessly.
Ran winipcfg. Received and IP address, a SubNet address, a default gateway
address and the DHCP server address. I pinged teh IP address and it was
positive. So I'm starting to feel pretty good.

Brought up Internet Explorer but was unable to successfully bring up any web
page.

I did notice that the Binding Tab did not have Microsoft Family or Windows
Login. It did have Novell which this machine was previously connected to.
I have no idea if this plays into this at all.

Thank you for you help.
"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "daddio" <info@daddiorecords.com> wrote in message
> > This is my first attempt at making wireless connection so please bear
with
> > me.
> >
> > I have NetGear MA111 Wireless USB Adaptor and a NetGear Router. I
running
> > Windows 98 and my ISP is Comcast. I have installed the adaptor and it
has
> > successfully made the connection to the router with signal strength and
> > quality at 100%. However, I am unable to access the Internet.
> >
> > NetGear advised me to do the following:
> >
> > In regards to your issue please provide static ip address in your
> > computer. To assign static ip address follow the steps below:
> >
> > 1. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network.
> > 2. Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP for the Network Adapter under
> > General tab and click on Properties.
> > 3. Specify an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.x with the subnet
> > mask as 255.255.255.0
> > 4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
> > 5. Click on DNS Configurations and Enable DNS and type the host name
> > and assign the Preferred and Alternate DNS address as 192.168.0.1 and
> > 4.2.2.2 under DNS Server Search Order and click Ok and restart the
> > computer.
> >
> > I did this (except in step 5 there is no pace to enter Preferred and
> > Alternate DNS address) with no success.
> >
> > I have provided my results to NetGear but no response.
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> I gather from Netgear's suggestion that your computer is not obtaining an
IP
> address from the router. I would ignore Netgear's suggestion, and try to
> find out why the computer didn't get an address.
>
> Check the wireless adapter's IP configuration and make sure it's set to
> "Automatically obtain an IP Address." Make sure that the DNS is automatic
> too.
>
> Connect the computer to the router via Ethernet cable. Does the computer
> obtain an IP address from the router over the wire? If so, then the
> router's DHCP server is working. Just to be sure, PING the router from
the
> computer.
>
> Surf to the router's IP address and login to the router's administration
> screen. Ensure that WEP encryption is turned off. After you get it
working
> without WEP you can consider turning it on. Apply the changes, and reboot
> the router if necessary.
>
> Disconnect the Ethernet cable. Try to connect wirelessly. If it
connects,
> run winipcfg to see if you obtained an IP address. Make sure you look at
> the correct adapter in winipcfg. If an address was obtained, try to PING
> the router from the computer; if that works, you're done! Any problems
> beyond this aren't wireless problems.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Pinged the router at the IP address displayed from winipcfg successfully.

The tracert command responded with: Unable to resolve target system name
www.yahoo.com

"Bigguy" <gtittley@NO.SPAM.blueyonder.REMOVE.co.uk> wrote in message

> > 4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
>
> Only if this IS the address of your router.... check
>
> Ping router at correct address... do you get aresponse?
>
> Try 'tracert www.yahoo.com' at a command prompt... are you getting to and
> beyond the router?
>
> Guy

The previous message indicated that although I made a connection I couldn't
bring up a webpage using the browser. I left the computer on and when I
returned there was some adware on the screen. I clicked on a link from one
of them and I could access the Internet. Restarted the computer and I can't
access again. It's something with signing on, I guess. but I have no idea
what it is.
Any ideas?

> [...]
> > router's DHCP server is working. Just to be sure, PING the router from
> the
> > computer.
> >
> > Surf to the router's IP address and login to the router's administration
> > screen. Ensure that WEP encryption is turned off. After you get it
> working
> > without WEP you can consider turning it on. Apply the changes, and
reboot
> > the router if necessary.
> >
> > Disconnect the Ethernet cable. Try to connect wirelessly. If it
> connects,
> > run winipcfg to see if you obtained an IP address. Make sure you look
at
> > the correct adapter in winipcfg. If an address was obtained, try to
PING
> > the router from the computer; if that works, you're done! Any problems

You appear to have a DNS problem....

Direct your browser to http://216.109.117.109 - this is Yahoo's IP
address..... do you see the webpage?

Try manually entering the DNS server/s address (get it from your ISP's
website).....

Guy

daddio wrote:
> Pinged the router at the IP address displayed from winipcfg
> successfully.
>
> The tracert command responded with: Unable to resolve target system
> name www.yahoo.com
>
> "Bigguy" <gtittley@NO.SPAM.blueyonder.REMOVE.co.uk> wrote in message
>>

>>> 4. Click on Gateway tab and add the address as 192.168.0.1
>>
>> Only if this IS the address of your router.... check
>>
>> Ping router at correct address... do you get aresponse?
>>
>> Try 'tracert www.yahoo.com' at a command prompt... are you getting
>> to and beyond the router?
>>
>> Guy

I cleared out all the changes that NetGear gave to me, one of which was to
place 4.2.2.2 into DNS Server Search Order. I execute winipcfg and released
and renewed. This seemed to work. I'm not exactly sure why but so far so
good. Thanks your help.