Installing Quicken Deluxe 2000 onto Windows XP

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When trying to download Quicken Deluxe 2000 from its CD onto my new compurer
with Windows XP, I get the message "Your config.sys file needs updating.
Quicken needs at least files=50 and buffers=10. You have files=0 and
buffers=0. Please read the Quicken Readme file, to learn how to set these
variables. How do I install my Quicken on my Windows XP?

Open the Help and Support Center and look at the article entitled "Getting
older programs to run on Windows XP".

You may want to use a more recent version of Quicken.

Modem Ani

On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:28:04 -0700, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When trying to download Quicken Deluxe 2000 from its CD onto my new compurer
>with Windows XP, I get the message "Your config.sys file needs updating.
>Quicken needs at least files=50 and buffers=10. You have files=0 and
>buffers=0. Please read the Quicken Readme file, to learn how to set these
>variables. How do I install my Quicken on my Windows XP?

Well 1st off quicken 2000 is a waste of time because it's not being used
anymore. You MUST upgrade to 2005.

Then just edit your C:\config.sys and either enter those entries, or modify
them.

Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in

> On Mon, 2 May 2005 11:28:04 -0700, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>>When trying to download Quicken Deluxe 2000 from its CD onto my new
>>compurer with Windows XP, I get the message "Your config.sys file needs
>>updating. Quicken needs at least files=50 and buffers=10. You have
>>files=0 and buffers=0. Please read the Quicken Readme file, to learn
>>how to set these variables. How do I install my Quicken on my Windows
>>XP?
>
> Well 1st off quicken 2000 is a waste of time because it's not being used
> anymore. You MUST upgrade to 2005.

Not true. It's not supported any longer and some of the features won't work
(stock updates, online features) unless you have the new version. I'm still
running Quicken '99 and it works just fine for what I need. My parents have
2005 and I actually prefer my version. My parents upgraded as they needed
the online features.

> Then just edit your C:\config.sys and either enter those entries, or
> modify them.

I suspect that it will run just fine without these settings.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, when I did what you suggested, I
kept getting the same error message I mentioned in my first question. I
don't really want to get a newer version of Quicken because I have found
their newer versions are not necessarily better and I don't care about the
internet access because I am using this only on my computer.

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Open the Help and Support Center and look at the article entitled "Getting
> older programs to run on Windows XP".
>
> You may want to use a more recent version of Quicken.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to download Quicken Deluxe 2000 from its CD onto my new
> compurer
> > with Windows XP, I get the message "Your config.sys file needs updating.
> > Quicken needs at least files=50 and buffers=10. You have files=0 and
> > buffers=0. Please read the Quicken Readme file, to learn how to set these
> > variables. How do I install my Quicken on my Windows XP?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for your help. I hate to appear so ignorant, but how do I edit my
C:\config.sys?

On Wed, 4 May 2005 11:40:25 -0700, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your help. I hate to appear so ignorant, but how do I edit my
>C:\config.sys?
start->accessories->notepad or wordpad or whatever editor you use

Open C:\config.sys
modify the files and buffers to what it's asking for.
SAVE

> Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, when I did what you suggested, I
> kept getting the same error message I mentioned in my first question. I
> don't really want to get a newer version of Quicken because I have found
> their newer versions are not necessarily better and I don't care about the
> internet access because I am using this only on my computer.
>
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
>> Open the Help and Support Center and look at the article entitled
>> "Getting
>> older programs to run on Windows XP".
>>
>> You may want to use a more recent version of Quicken.
>>
>> Modem Ani
>>
>> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When trying to download Quicken Deluxe 2000 from its CD onto my new
>> compurer
>> > with Windows XP, I get the message "Your config.sys file needs
>> > updating.
>> > Quicken needs at least files=50 and buffers=10. You have files=0 and
>> > buffers=0. Please read the Quicken Readme file, to learn how to set
>> > these
>> > variables. How do I install my Quicken on my Windows XP?

I use Quicken 99 in WINXP Pro and don't recall having to set any of the
environmental variables. Quicken 2000 will load and run in WINXP, despite
what others have posted.

The environmental variables 'files' and 'buffers' are not used by WINXP, as
far as I know. These 'variables' can be set in the config.nt file, found in
the system32 file, but this is used only for DOS emulation and I doubt
whether entering the required values in this file will address your problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help I suggest you post your question in the NG
'alt.comp.software.financial.quicken'. You are almost certain to get the
solution there.