cannot read my cd drive

under win xp sp2 i cannot read from my cd drive, i get the message "please
insert a disk into drive e:" as if there is no disk inside. if i boot the
computer with some disk in the drive i can read from it and i can change the
disks and work with other disks too. this is the same with any disk i try to
work with.
i had a similar problem with w2k and i changed the name of
c:\windows\system32\pstorec.dll to pstorec0.dll and it solved it.
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot read drive

    "zoli" <zoli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >under win xp sp2 i cannot read from my cd drive, i get the message "please
    >insert a disk into drive e:" as if there is no disk inside. if i boot the
    >computer with some disk in the drive i can read from it and i can change the
    >disks and work with other disks too. this is the same with any disk i try to
    >work with.

    See "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD
    Discs" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641).

    --
    (tm)

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > "zoli" <zoli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >under win xp sp2 i cannot read from my cd drive, i get the message "please
    > >insert a disk into drive e:" as if there is no disk inside. if i boot the
    > >computer with some disk in the drive i can read from it and i can change the
    > >disks and work with other disks too. this is the same with any disk i try to
    > >work with.
    >
    > See "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD
    > Discs" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321641).
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    thanks, i've already tried there. it's mostly about faulty disks which is
    not the case here.

CD Drives Windows XP