Sorceress: Hell Mephisto + Regular Play?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 16, 2005 10:40:02 AM

All,

I've been away from Diablo 2 for a while and I've forgot much of what I
used to know about it. I play COH frequently now but in their daily
downtime I usually play a little Diablo 2 for old times sake. One of
the things I loved most was running Mephisto just to see what he might
drop. I want to make a non-twink Sorceress that can both play through
the game and easily run Mephisto. I would prefer a build that can work
on base energy, non-uber gear, and who goes for max blocking.

I'm thinking 60 Str, Base Energy, 2 points per level to dex, and the
rest to vitality.

What Sorceress build would work best for playing through the game as
well as running Mephisto well?

I've been contemplating these 2 skill layouts at level 80 (91 skill
points):

Firewall/Frozen Orb:
--------------------
Frozen Orb 20, Cold Mastery 10, Fire Wall 20, Fire Mastery 20,
Static Field 10, Telekinesis 1, Teleport 1, Warmth 1, Inferno 1,
Blaze 1, Frost Nova 1, Blizzard 1, Ice Bolt 1, Ice Blast 1,
Glacial Spike 1, Frozen Armor 1

Hydra/Frozen Orb:
-----------------
Hydra 20, Fire Mastery 20, Fireball 18, Frozen Orb 20, Cold Mastery 1,
Static Field 1, Telekinesis 1, Teleport 1, Warmth 1, Fire Bolt 1,
Enchant 1, Frost Nova 1, Blizzard 1, Ice Bolt 1, Ice Blast 1,
Glacial Spike 1, Frozen Armor 1

I know neither of these builds is considered "uber" by any stretch of
the imagination but I'm wondering which would be the best base energy,
max block, level 80, non-twink hell-viable (even if I dont play far
enough to finish) character who can also run Mephisto safely? I am open
to other builds so long as they meet these requirements.

Thanks,

Lewis
June 16, 2005 3:06:00 PM

I don't think I've ever had more than +4 or +5 skills on my sorceress.
Let me put it another way. Is there a build that could make it on base
energy, max block, that didnt have more than +4 in skill items?

Also, I don't think I can make Insight since I play single player.
Rats.

Lewis
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:20:30 PM

Hi,

lewis@lwb.org wrote in news:1118929202.371059.37150
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Firewall/Frozen Orb:
> --------------------
> Frozen Orb 20, Cold Mastery 10, Fire Wall 20, Fire Mastery 20,
> Static Field 10, Telekinesis 1, Teleport 1, Warmth 1, Inferno 1,
> Blaze 1, Frost Nova 1, Blizzard 1, Ice Bolt 1, Ice Blast 1,
> Glacial Spike 1, Frozen Armor 1
>
> I know neither of these builds is considered "uber" by any stretch of
> the imagination but I'm wondering which would be the best base energy,
> max block, level 80, non-twink hell-viable (even if I dont play far
> enough to finish) character who can also run Mephisto safely? I am open
> to other builds so long as they meet these requirements.

my FB/FO/Meteor sorc is level 81 now (SP). Even w/o high-end stuff, +10
skills from gear should be achievable with some MF runs. Base Energy, dex
(so no blocking) and enough STR for Spirit shield, everything else to
vit.

With mana-boosting gear, she has about 1K life and mana. Merc with
Insight stick supplies insane Mana regen, so Engery shield (1 point,
about 11 with +skills) gives another safety net.

She can have FO going all the time and spam Fireballs. If more fire
damage is really needed, Meteor currently does about 11K fire damage..

I haven't seen a real need for max blocking so far - so more life to me..
Currently in Hell Act3 Lower Kurast at /players 2 setting..

Regards,

Oliver

> Thanks,
>
> Lewis

June 17, 2005 12:16:37 AM

Hi,

lewis@lwb.org wrote in news:1118943296.807190.318620
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I don't think I've ever had more than +4 or +5 skills on my sorceress.
> Let me put it another way. Is there a build that could make it on base
> energy, max block, that didnt have more than +4 in skill items?

most of my equipment is quite standard and should be relatively easy to
find doing NM Baal runs:

- Harlequin Crown +2
- Vipermagi armor +1
- rare orb +1/2
- Visceratuant shield +1
- rare ammu/Tal's +1/2

That's already +8 sorc skills. Magefist gives +1 to fire skill. Rerolling
some grand charms could get some more +skills to cold/fire/light..

> Also, I don't think I can make Insight since I play single player.
> Rats.

There's a runeword patch that activates all runewords in SP - even those
that are HC only. I'm playing with this patch for more than 6 months now
without any problems.

Regards,

Oliver

> Lewis

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:54:35 PM

> - Harlequin Crown +2

dropable by NM Baal?

> There's a runeword patch that activates all runewords in SP - even those
> that are HC only. I'm playing with this patch for more than 6 months now
> without any problems.

where can i get this patch (german version, d2lod 1.10)? googling doesn't
seem to help - at least with my litte time investment :-)

Are you able to play with other players (non-battle.net) who don't have this
patch?

Thx

CA
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:00:07 PM

> There's a runeword patch that activates all runewords in SP - even those
> that are HC only. I'm playing with this patch for more than 6 months now
> without any problems.

What about the game crashing (german version!) when making a aura-granting
runeword? Is there a patch to fix that?

Thx

CA
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:53:12 PM

Hi,

"Christian Albers" <albers2k@lehrmeister.de> wrote in
news:D 8u785$5i8$1@pentheus.materna.de:

>> There's a runeword patch that activates all runewords in SP - even
>> those that are HC only. I'm playing with this patch for more than 6
>> months now without any problems.
>
> What about the game crashing (german version!) when making a
> aura-granting runeword? Is there a patch to fix that?

actually, the runeword patch does both. But there should be a fix for the
aura-crash problem only, as well:

http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip

Have fun,

Oliver

news:D 8u6to$50i$1@pentheus.materna.de:

>> - Harlequin Crown +2
>
> dropable by NM Baal?
>
>> There's a runeword patch that activates all runewords in SP - even
>> those that are HC only. I'm playing with this patch for more than 6
>> months now without any problems.
>
> where can i get this patch (german version, d2lod 1.10)? googling
> doesn't seem to help - at least with my litte time investment :-)

look here:

http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip

> Are you able to play with other players (non-battle.net) who don't
> have this patch?

You can always switch back to the standard version.But if you carry items
with the new runewords, they will disappear.

Regards,

Oliver
June 18, 2005 2:09:01 AM

lewis@lwb.org wrote:
> the game and easily run Mephisto. I would prefer a build that can work
> on base energy, non-uber gear, and who goes for max blocking.

Do you already have a shield planned out? Max blocking sorceress needs
considerable amount of dexterity. IIRC, the following are feasible
shields: Storm Shield, Sigon Shield, Upgraded Moser's, Upgraded
Visceratuant, Whitestand Guard. It is practically impossible to have
max blocking with other shields. Even with any of those shields, at
level 90'ish, you will need around 220'ish dexterity.

Generally, a max blocking sorceress is only suggested for those who
play with a lot of lag, otherwise, under normal condition she can kill
faster than the monsters can approach her, especially if you employ a
Holy Freeze mercenary.

> I'm thinking 60 Str, Base Energy, 2 points per level to dex, and the
> rest to vitality.

At early levels, consider investing in Str and Vit, so you can wear
items earlier. Stock up in mana potions, you will need insane amount
of them (unless you don't mind using your stick to smack the monsters).
Even if you want to have max blocking, it is not necessary to start
investing early. Blocking will become more important in early Hell, or
perhaps very late nightmare; thus, you are better off spending your
attribute points somewhere else, i.e. Str and Vit.

Since you don't already know what end gears you will be wearing, I
suggest to save some attribute points. It is not uncommon to have 100+
points saved (Hardcore mode players may/will disagree).

> What Sorceress build would work best for playing through the game as
> well as running Mephisto well?

My vote goes for Meteorb. Skill allocation is as follows:
Frozen Orb: 20
Meteor: 20
Fireball: 20
Fire Mastery: 10+
Cold Mastery: 1+
Teleport: 1
Static Field: 1+
Warmth: 1

The rest of the skill points should go to Cold Mastery and Fire
Mastery. My suggestion is to get CM up to 100% after items, then the
rest goes to maxing FM. If you still have more points to allocate
afterwards, then put in either Firebolt or Cold Mastery. Icebolt is
not really a sound investment, as the rate of return is too low. If
you don't find too many +skill items, then you may want to consider
raising your Static Field.

Your main skill is (obviously) Meteor with Frozen Orb as backup. Both
skills are timered, so at high character level, you can spam either
continously with base energy. Untwinked, she is capable of solo-ing
any areas in Hell and definitely capable of MFing Hell Meph.

> Firewall/Frozen Orb:

I suspect you will have an incredibly hard time in Act 2 with this
build because the snake type monsters are Cold Immune thus requiring
you to use Firewall. As we know, snakes like to use the skill Charge,
thus won't stay in one spot for a long time.

> Hydra/Frozen Orb:

This might work. I did Blizzard/Hydra, she worked wonderfully, but her
Hydra did not work quite well in a large game.

> I know neither of these builds is considered "uber" by any stretch of
> the imagination but I'm wondering which would be the best base energy,
> max block, level 80, non-twink hell-viable (even if I dont play far
> enough to finish) character who can also run Mephisto safely? I am open
> to other builds so long as they meet these requirements.

If you only limit yourself to those two options you mentioned, then I
will choose Hydra/FO one. Otherwise, I would definitely go for
Meteorb. The reason being Meteor kills faster than Hydra (at least in
my experience). I bet you are familiar with the Moat Trick for running
Mephisto with virtually zero risk. Meteor is the best skill for doing
so. As for gears, the "newbie items" that you can find in Freebie
games will work well. I experienced it firsthand, since she was my
first character when I started playing Diablo. If you insist, (with no
lag) a meteorb sorceress can run Hell Meph with absolutely nothing but
Fast Cast Rate items to be able to teleport to Durance 3, the only
challenge is the first Council boss who is (always?) Lightning
Enchanted. If you are more conservative, whatever items you need to be
able to comfortably run Hell Mephisto can be found from NM Mephisto!

> Thanks,
>
> Lewis
June 18, 2005 2:29:50 AM

l...@lwb.org wrote:
> [...]

will choose Hydra/FO one. Otherwise, I would definitely go for
Meteorb. The reason being Meteor kills faster than Hydra (at least in
my experience). I bet you are familiar with the Moat Trick for running

Mephisto with virtually zero risk. Meteor is the best skill for doing
so. As for gears, the "newbie items" that you can find in Freebie
games will work well. I experienced it firsthand, since she was my
first character when I started playing Diablo. If you insist, (with no

lag) a meteorb sorceress can run Hell Meph with absolutely nothing but
Fast Cast Rate items to be able to teleport to Durance 3, the only
challenge is the first Council boss who is (always?) Lightning
Enchanted. If you are more conservative, whatever items you need to be

able to comfortably run Hell Mephisto can be found from NM Mephisto!

[edit]
Answering your other post regarding Blizzard sorc. Blizzard is
definitely doable with base energy, you may drink mana potions once in
a while depending on your items. Actually, so is for Meteorb I
suggested earlier. Blizzard, Frozen Orb, Meteor, Hydra are all doable
with base energy (again, with occasional mana potions - depending on
your items). I have never tried Chain Lightning myself, but from what
I had heard, all her lightning based spells are mana intensive, save
for ones such as Telekinesis, Thunderstorm, etc.

Blizzard sorc is also very viable for Hell with the playing condition
that you described. Act 2 and 5 are plagued with Cold Immunes, with
caution, Static Field and merc can take care of them (teleport right on
top of any resurrector type monsters).

If you plan to solo all the way with no help, my vote still goes to
Meteorb. Blizzard/Hydra or Orb/Hydra will come second.
June 18, 2005 11:09:37 AM

All,

Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing these sorceresses on Single
Player, for what its worth. :)  My big reason for wanting to go max
block is Mephisto. Maybe I'm mistaken here. I eventually want whatever
sorceresses I make to be able to have a good chance at blocking that
damn frozen ball he shoots, etc. I have never mastered the moat trick,
I know kinda what it is but for some reason there are always
complications ... Council nearby, or Meph wont play ball, or whatever.
So, I have no clue really how to do the moat trick. I always see arcane
diagrams with an X and an M and some dashes but *shrug*.

So I want to be able to actually get in the play area with him and have
some survivability. I guess that's my reason. Also, I have never maxed
block on a sorceress but I always wanted to try.

At this point I'm probably going to do 4 sorceresses:

* Pure Blizzard (Bliz and its synergies maxed, 10 in CM, 1 in Warmth,
SF, TP)
* Pure Frozen Orb (FO 20, FBolt 20, CMast 10-20, maybe everything else
in TP/SF)
* Meteor / Frozen Orb (using the plan someone posted in this thread)
* Chain Lightning / Frozen Orb (I want a good hell countess runner)

I'm in no rush. :)

Lewis
June 18, 2005 3:08:21 PM

Alice Wrote,

" IIRC, the following are feasible shields: Storm Shield, Sigon Shield,
Upgraded Moser's, Upgraded Visceratuant, Whitestand Guard. It is
practically impossible to have max blocking with other shields. Even
with any of those shields, at level 90'ish, you will need around
220'ish dexterity."

I play single player so I can't upgrade any Exceptional shields to
Elite. So, what shields does that leave me, that are realistic? Sigon's
shield? I was thinking of trying to find a 2-socket heater with Rhyme
on it. That is only about 64% or 65% but its passable. My dream shield
would be Mosers, since I could stick a Shael in it and a Diamond and
get 44% resist all and 57% + 20% (capped at 75%) blocking for a
sorceress + the shael. I also might consider the Ward, only because it
has a lot of resists and a Shael in it would let me get by until I ever
run a Mosers. Max block isnt necessary but ... high block. High is
good.

Can Nightmare Mephisto drop Mosers Shield and if not what is the best
place a summons necro could run to find it?

Also, I have an umbral disk that I could upgrade (it is a normal item)
and stick a shael in if I got truly desperate. :)

Lewis
June 19, 2005 12:08:31 PM

Cool!

He just dropped a Moser's shield for me in nightmare, after a couple
hundred runs. :)

So, if I want to use it for a max-block sorceress, I assume 1 Pdiamond
and 1 Shael would be the way to go?

Thanks,

Lewis
June 19, 2005 3:42:53 PM

*whew*

Just as I was about to insert a Shael in my Mosers I realized it was
block speed, not chance. Boo. Eld gives 7%, not worth it. Ah well. I'll
socket it for all resists. It's inferior to my socketed ward, but the
block chance is passable and it does have faster block base.

Lewis
June 20, 2005 11:30:32 AM

Yes I have actually managed to collect 3 decent "Ward" shields. One is
perfect, one is 1 point short of perfect, and the other is 3 points
short. Good stuff generally.

Lewis
!