New Phone - Recommendations?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 26, 2004 11:07:55 PM

I am approaching my 1 year anniversary and at that point, I'd like to
get a new phone (since I'll be eligible for the discounted prices and my
current VX-4400 is cracked).

What do people think are the best phones that Verizon offers currently?
What brands/models are people happy with? It seems to me that Samsung
has several more now than they did a year ago, but LG is still strong
also. Don't see much out of Motorola. How's Audiovox?

Are analogue capabilities a thing of the past pretty much?

I would like a flipphone with color screen, good battery life, and
possibly a speakerphone (don't need a cameraphone) ... although would be
willing to sacrifice that if a particular phone was so good that I had
to forego a speakerphone.

Looks like Samsung a310 is best on battery life, but also heaviest.
Looks like a650 is next best. Comparing LG and Audiovox to Samsung seems
to indicate better battery life on LG and Audiovox. LG 4500 and 4600
seem to edge others out?

Or are new phones imminent (Motorola) that I should wait for?

Larry

More about : phone recommendations

June 26, 2004 11:07:56 PM

"Larry" <Larry@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I am approaching my 1 year anniversary and at that point, I'd like to
> get a new phone (since I'll be eligible for the discounted prices and my
> current VX-4400 is cracked).
>
> What do people think are the best phones that Verizon offers currently?
> What brands/models are people happy with? It seems to me that Samsung
> has several more now than they did a year ago, but LG is still strong
> also. Don't see much out of Motorola. How's Audiovox?
>
> Are analogue capabilities a thing of the past pretty much?
>
> I would like a flipphone with color screen, good battery life, and
> possibly a speakerphone (don't need a cameraphone) ... although would be
> willing to sacrifice that if a particular phone was so good that I had
> to forego a speakerphone.
>
> Looks like Samsung a310 is best on battery life, but also heaviest.
> Looks like a650 is next best. Comparing LG and Audiovox to Samsung seems
> to indicate better battery life on LG and Audiovox. LG 4500 and 4600
> seem to edge others out?
>
> Or are new phones imminent (Motorola) that I should wait for?
>
> Larry

I have 3 vx4500 phones on my plan for about 3 weeks. That seems to have been
a good choice. Both RF performance and sound are good. I wanted a
speakerphone and did not want a camera. I am impressed how well the
speakerphone works.

I was on the fence about digital only but there isn't very much value in
having analog on a low powered hand held phone.
June 27, 2004 12:17:59 PM

"George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:o MSdnTxrx7aRSkDdRVn-sw@adelphia.com...

> > Or are new phones imminent (Motorola) that I should wait for?
> >
> > Larry

I think Motorola has forgotten how to make stuff and are living on their
past reputation. I already thought LG had a good product but Motorola made
up my mind. I called Motorola to ask about a specific feature of a phone I
wanted. I downloaded the manual but it did not clearly describe the feature.
I called Motorola and got someone in India who I could barely understand who
insisted she was helping me by repeating that the "phone has many powerful
features..."

I then called LG. The girl who answered the phone was knowledgeable, located
in the US and spoke understandable English. She responded that she wasn't
exactly sure about the feature but give her a minute and she would fire up
that model and tell me what I wanted to know. She did and completely
answered my questions.
Related resources
June 27, 2004 8:08:48 PM

I think this situation is unfortunately becoming all too common ... even
within my own company. Outsourcing help desk operations halfway around
the world to save money. The execs obviously don't realize how much this
hurts business.

Larry

George wrote:
> "George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o MSdnTxrx7aRSkDdRVn-sw@adelphia.com...
>
>>>Or are new phones imminent (Motorola) that I should wait for?
>>>
>>>Larry
>>>

> I think Motorola has forgotten how to make stuff and are living on their
> past reputation. I already thought LG had a good product but Motorola made
> up my mind. I called Motorola to ask about a specific feature of a phone I
> wanted. I downloaded the manual but it did not clearly describe the feature.
> I called Motorola and got someone in India who I could barely understand who
> insisted she was helping me by repeating that the "phone has many powerful
> features..."
>
> I then called LG. The girl who answered the phone was knowledgeable, located
> in the US and spoke understandable English. She responded that she wasn't
> exactly sure about the feature but give her a minute and she would fire up
> that model and tell me what I wanted to know. She did and completely
> answered my questions.

June 27, 2004 8:20:51 PM

Dell Computers is one that did and then realized how much it was hurting
their business and brought the jobs back.

Larry wrote:
> I think this situation is unfortunately becoming all too common ... even
> within my own company. Outsourcing help desk operations halfway around
> the world to save money. The execs obviously don't realize how much this
> hurts business.
>
> Larry
>
> George wrote:
>
>> "George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:o MSdnTxrx7aRSkDdRVn-sw@adelphia.com...

>> I think Motorola has forgotten how to make stuff and are living on their
>> past reputation. I already thought LG had a good product but Motorola
>> made
>> up my mind. I called Motorola to ask about a specific feature of a
>> phone I
>> wanted. I downloaded the manual but it did not clearly describe the
>> feature.
>> I called Motorola and got someone in India who I could barely
>> understand who
>> insisted she was helping me by repeating that the "phone has many
>> powerful
>> features..."
>>
>> I then called LG. The girl who answered the phone was knowledgeable,
>> located
>> in the US and spoke understandable English. She responded that she wasn't
>> exactly sure about the feature but give her a minute and she would
>> fire up
>> that model and tell me what I wanted to know. She did and completely
>> answered my questions.

June 28, 2004 7:23:25 AM

In article <DtCDc.30313$Y3.1030@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
davids1955@earthlink.net says...
> Dell Computers is one that did and then realized how much it was hurting
> their business and brought the jobs back.
>
> Larry wrote:
> > I think this situation is unfortunately becoming all too common ... even
> > within my own company. Outsourcing help desk operations halfway around
> > the world to save money. The execs obviously don't realize how much this
> > hurts business.
> >
> > Larry
> >
> > George wrote:
> >
> >> "George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> news:o MSdnTxrx7aRSkDdRVn-sw@adelphia.com...

> >> I think Motorola has forgotten how to make stuff and are living on their
> >> past reputation. I already thought LG had a good product but Motorola
> >> made
> >> up my mind. I called Motorola to ask about a specific feature of a
> >> phone I
> >> wanted. I downloaded the manual but it did not clearly describe the
> >> feature.
> >> I called Motorola and got someone in India who I could barely
> >> understand who
> >> insisted she was helping me by repeating that the "phone has many
> >> powerful
> >> features..."
> >>
> >> I then called LG. The girl who answered the phone was knowledgeable,
> >> located
> >> in the US and spoke understandable English. She responded that she wasn't
> >> exactly sure about the feature but give her a minute and she would
> >> fire up
> >> that model and tell me what I wanted to know. She did and completely
> >> answered my questions.

Not completely. They only brought back US tech support for their
corporate customers. Individual purchasers are still outsourced.

I had my most recent computer built for me by a US company because of
the many many hours I spent on hold and going through scripts when
trying to get my last Dell repaired.

BTW, IBM still seems to have reasonably good tech support (I also have a
Thinkpad).

Louise
June 28, 2004 12:49:25 PM

"Dave" <davids1955@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D tCDc.30313$Y3.1030@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Dell Computers is one that did and then realized how much it was hurting
> their business and brought the jobs back.

No, they only brought some jobs back for certain commercial accounts. They
made a big deal about bringing jobs back to the US when they did it so
everyone thought they were doing a good thing. I read that no new jobs were
created and it simply delayed the firing of ~100 people who were put into
that department.
!