Help, new Mobo a no-go

fudgefactor

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I can really use some help here,
My situation is similar to Zadjen's from 4 or 5 posts ago but different enough to warrent a new post.
I am rebuilding my system. MSI k7n2-delta-L, amd 2000+, maxtor 60Gb ata133, antec smartblue 350 power supply, and 2 sticks of 2100 ddr 256mb each is the list of new parts. The old parts are the case, floppy, a cd drive, a cd-rw, modem (not inserted yet) and a geforce2 mx 4xAGP.
Everything was inserted as per the various instruction manuals and it started up and seemed to be running fine. I got into the CMOS to look around (I know now I shouldn't have touched anything besides date and time). While browsing through the options allowed I was forced to save and exit before I reset all the settings to standard.
Later I tried to boot up and I can't get video to work. The monitor goes into something like standby mode after a few seconds although the fans are all moving and the drives all spin up and light up. If I disconnect the monitor it gives me a "No Signal Received" message but gives nothing when attached.
I have used the cmos reset jumper (several tries) and removed the battery for 25 minutes but no changes. I pulled out the video card and turned on the machine because it was suggested if I did this and it started beeping at me the MoBo was good but the video card was dead. When I did this I heard no beeps. That was the extent of the tech support from the seller.
I have not modified the system in any way between when it worked and when it didn't other than in cmos before I turned it off.
Any suggestions?
Great many thanks for any help.
-Fudge

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya Fudge;

Ive got a board that is quirky like that, sometimes after i have been in there working it will just sit there and do nothing, all i have to do to get it to initialize is unplug the power cable from the power supply, plug it back in and turn the power back on, im guessing the power supply gets switched into protect mode and is cutting the power, even though there is power it isnt enough to initialize the system, give this a try it may be the problem.

Otherwise i would say your video card isnt properly seated even though you may think it is, if not that then another piece of hardware is loose, since you were able to get to the bios once then not the next time that just tells me something isnt seated properly, that something is loose, try making sure you have a solid connection on all hardware and power plugs. I dont think it has anything to do with your BIOS settings unless you overclocked too far while you were in there, and your bios doesnt have a recover feature, if this is the case then obviously you didnt reset c-mos properly and you need to try again. Also you need to set your BIOS to "Halt on NO errors" this will bypass the stupid stuff like no-keyboard etc...this will allow you to get going and if soemthing isnt working when you boot in who cares then you know what the problem is and can fix it instead of sitting there wondering why it isnt booting. Also try removing a couple pieces of hardware like a sound card, unplug a CD-Rom or two, make sure its not your power supply telling you to goto hell because its got too heavy of a load.

I hope this helps.

XeeN

fudgefactor

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Xeen,
thanks for the ideas. When I get back from the library I'll unplug and reseat everything, one piece at a time.
Your theory on overclocking; I hate to think I did that, but even if I did the cmos reset and/or the battery removal should have cleared those settings.I hate to show so total ignorance but what exactly are the correct settings for an AMD 2000+ XP and the 2100 ddr? And I mean everything that I can access from the cmos, because I recall from the time it did work that it reported my cpu at much lower than 1.66Ghz.
Thanks again, I'll report back tomorrow- hopefully from home.
Fudge

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
If I remember correctly, it should be set at 133MHz x 12.5 (1666 MHz). Your motherboard probably started in safe mode (as most new boards do) and dropped it down to 100MHz core clock (1250 MHZ). You usually have to manually adjust it the first time. After that, you're good to go. Of course now we just have to fugure out the <i>first</i> problem, huh? :smile: Did you try pressing the power button after you unplugged the PSU? This will purge any juice that's left in it so you shouldn't have to wait at all to move the "clear Cmos" jumper momentarily, plug back in, and turn on. Good luck.

<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com/turtletech.htm" target="_new">My System</A>