Black Mesa Themed Desktop/Login Screen... Comments?

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Ok, so basically I love Half-Life... I could talk about it for days, so I'm in the process of trying to "Freeman" up my computer. I made a couple backgrounds using various images from the internet, and Photoshop.

This is my current background:
BlackMesaFinal.jpg

It's pretty simple, (I'm so-so at Photoshop) but that's intentional. The image in the background is taken from a trailer for the HL2 mod "Black Mesa" (check it out if you haven't already... looks awesome) Anyone with a keen eye and a knowledge of Half-Life should examine the background carefully. When you see it, you'll... we'll let's just say you'll... be suprised.

It took me a considerable amount of time to decide on what I wanted to do. I went through a lot of different designs, layouts, and color schemes before I came up with that. There's a subtle black gradient on the left side to make your icon names easier to read, and it's in 1920x1200 resolution. I wanted it to look like what I imagine the background of a computer in the Lambda Complex of Black Mesa might have looked like.

This picture is my new login screen:
BlackMesaLogin.jpg

It's basically the same thing, just rearranged to center around your username and picture in the middle (I'd show you what it looks like when I log in, but you can't use printscreen on that screen... darn security and what not; just use your imagination) I'm pretty proud of my work, but I want to see what others think of it. If you've got any suggestions, let me know.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
looks good, Half life is also one of my favorite games!

However I do not like putting Games in my desktop, i go for something more General, like a cool design or maybe some anime girls LOL!!!!!

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thanks for the kind words.

You can find my full sized images:
HERE
and
HERE

I used the free program LogonStudio Vista to change my login screen. There are other ways, but it's by far the easiest.

BTW, has anyone had a sharp enough eye to catch the "surprise" I put in? It's easier to see in the first picture (my background)

@stevensl2
That was what I was doing prior to this little project. I liked having abstract, inexplainable backgrounds. I'd change them every few weeks, and everyone would always comment on them with things like "that is awesome!" or "what's that supposed to be?"

This was always one of my favorites:
t1k4XQS325018749_400x300.jpg

(I had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of this background, as it is 100x more awesome than anything I could create lol)

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Anyone else have anything to say?

I'm now also offering a free digital cookie to the first person to tell me the secret... lol

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Answer:
If you look closely at the left half, there is an image of our "mutual friend" that is barely visible. He takes up almost the entire left half of the screen. He's superimposed over the background, but he's about 98% transparent so he blends right in.

Still can't find him? Australia is basically where his chin is, and Russia goes across his eye level.

He's nearly impossible to spot if you don't know he's there, but that's pretty much the point. :D

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Fun would be when such a thing becomes interactive. Like you could open programs by pressing a few buttons using the control panel from, say, Half Life 2... heh heh!

May be the developers come out with the concept.

Thx