what would cause a computer to "beep" in the background?

Hello,

I have windows xp pro installed and a few times a day, I hear a "beep" in
the background as I'm working on projects. This is not thru the sound card,
but thru the computer's built-in beeper.

Could this mean there's a problem in the mother board?

thanks for any assistence...

Garry
8 answers Last reply
More about what computer beep background

    Any beep, after startup and while running, coming from the mobo is always an
    indication of a problem. Look into the event viewer after such a beep and see
    if an event is written. start\control panel\administrative tools\event viewer
    and then either application or system log. Run diagnostics for your HDD from
    the manufacturer and see if your mobo maker has diagnostics available. Run a
    RAM memory test. Do a search on the I-net there are hundreds of free tests
    available.
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    http://www.uxd.com/rst.shtml
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    These are just a few. Post back if you need more. TTFN.
    --
    There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those
    that can't.

    "Mardi Grass" <mardas@mundani.com> wrote:

    >I have windows xp pro installed and a few times a day, I hear a "beep" in
    >the background as I'm working on projects. This is not thru the sound card,
    >but thru the computer's built-in beeper.
    >
    >Could this mean there's a problem in the mother board?

    Maybe. I would install software like Everest Home
    (http://www.lavalys.com) and check the temperature of the CPU and such
    things.

    --
    (tm)

    Beeps are indicators that either everything is fine, or something is wrong.
    How many Beeps at one time?

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Mardi Grass" <mardas@mundani.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have windows xp pro installed and a few times a day, I hear a "beep" in
    >>the background as I'm working on projects. This is not thru the sound
    >>card,
    >>but thru the computer's built-in beeper.
    >>
    >>Could this mean there's a problem in the mother board?
    >
    > Maybe. I would install software like Everest Home
    > (http://www.lavalys.com) and check the temperature of the CPU and such
    > things.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    I found some information on the different beep code, and depending on your
    BIOS and motherboard, they are as follows,
    Beeps - Error Message - Description
    1 short - DRAM refresh failure - The programmable interrupt timer or
    programmable interrupt controller has probably failed.
    2 short - Memory parity error - A memory parity error has occurred in the
    first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad.
    3 short - Base 64K memory failure - A memory failure has occurred in the
    first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad.
    4 short - System timer failure - The system clock/timer IC has failed or
    there is a memory error in the first bank of memory.
    5 short - Processor error - The system CPU has failed.
    6 short - Gate A20 failure - The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is
    not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the
    keyboard controller.
    7 short - Virtual mode processor exception error - The CPU has generated an
    exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry.
    8 short - Display memory read/write error - The system video adapter is
    missing or defective.
    9 short - ROM checksum error - The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not
    match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and
    should be replaced.
    10 short - CMOS shutdown register read/write error - The shutdown for the
    CMOS has failed.
    11 short - Cache error - The L2 cache is faulty 1 long, 2 short - Failure in
    video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal
    retrace failure has been encountered.
    1 long, 3 short - Memory test failure - A fault has been detected in memory
    above 64KB.
    1 long, 8 short - Display test failure - The video adapter is either missing
    or defective.
    2 short - POST Failure - One of the hardware tests have failed.
    1 long - POST - All tests passed.

    Award BIOS Beep Codes:

    Beeps - Error Message - Description
    1 long, 2 short - Video adapter error - Either video adapter is bad or is
    not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected
    properly.
    Repeating (endless loop) - Memory error - Check for improperly seated or
    missing memory.
    1 long, 3 short - No video card or bad video RAM - Reseat or replace the
    video card.
    High frequency beeeps while running - Overheated CPU - Check the CPU fan for
    proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.
    Repeating High/Low - Either the CPU is not seated properly or damaged. May
    also be due to excess heat. - Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper
    fan speed.

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Beeps are indicators that either everything is fine, or something is
    > wrong. How many Beeps at one time?
    >
    > "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    >> "Mardi Grass" <mardas@mundani.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have windows xp pro installed and a few times a day, I hear a "beep" in
    >>>the background as I'm working on projects. This is not thru the sound
    >>>card,
    >>>but thru the computer's built-in beeper.
    >>>
    >>>Could this mean there's a problem in the mother board?
    >>
    >> Maybe. I would install software like Everest Home
    >> (http://www.lavalys.com) and check the temperature of the CPU and such
    >> things.
    >>
    >> --
    >> (tm)

    Sorry, missed a line..the first set of codes is for..AMI BIOS Beep Codes:

> [...]
    > properly.
    > Repeating (endless loop) - Memory error - Check for improperly seated or
    > missing memory.
    > 1 long, 3 short - No video card or bad video RAM - Reseat or replace the
    > video card.
    > High frequency beeeps while running - Overheated CPU - Check the CPU fan
    > for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.
    > Repeating High/Low - Either the CPU is not seated properly or damaged. May
    > also be due to excess heat. - Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for
    > proper fan speed.
    >

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Beeps are indicators that either everything is fine, or something is
    >> wrong. How many Beeps at one time?
    >>
    >> "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message

    >>> Maybe. I would install software like Everest Home

    Hello Thorsten;
    Thank you for the great reference to the software Everest Home. This free
    software is a must for beginner and expert.
    Sincerely Melvin
    ---------------------------------------

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:00:47 GMT, "Mardi Grass" <mardas@mundani.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have windows xp pro installed and a few times a day, I hear a "beep" in
    >the background as I'm working on projects. This is not thru the sound card,
    >but thru the computer's built-in beeper.
    >
    >Could this mean there's a problem in the mother board?
    >
    >thanks for any assistence...
    >
    >Garry

    Any of several thousand programs will beep at you. My 1st choice on mine would
    be the asus probe that monitors heat, and fan speed. On idle the fan's almost
    always slow down below the threshold and beep. Long as the temps still normal
    the beep is just a warning.

    Other than that there's maybe 999 other things that can beep at you. And 999 is
    a low guess. Every program I have has sound or visual notification for out of
    the ordinary.
    But the probe is the only one worth monitoring.

    "melvin cotterill" <melvinj@surewest.net> wrote:

    >Hello Thorsten;
    >Thank you for the great reference to the software Everest Home. This free
    >software is a must for beginner and expert.

    You are welcome.

    --
    (tm)

Windows XP Computers Microsoft Sound Cards