Stop app from running on startup

I have an annoying icon that keeps appearing in my system try after
startup. I don't want to uninstall the app because I (rarely) use it.
It doesn't have an option to turn off launching on startup. How do I
stop an app from running on startup?

Start here: http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

MrKrinkle wrote:
> I have an annoying icon that keeps appearing in my system try after
> startup. I don't want to uninstall the app because I (rarely) use it.
> It doesn't have an option to turn off launching on startup. How do I
> stop an app from running on startup?

Or, you can just go to Start>Run and type in

msconfig

in the box. When that opens, go to the startup tab and deselect the
program. The next time you restart your pc you will get a popup type
message that informs you that you have made a change to the way your pc
starts..just check the box that says don't show me this again.

> Start here: http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> MrKrinkle wrote:
>> I have an annoying icon that keeps appearing in my system try after
>> startup. I don't want to uninstall the app because I (rarely) use it.
>> It doesn't have an option to turn off launching on startup. How do I
>> stop an app from running on startup?

...and that misses all kinds of things.... ;-)

--
Walter Clayton

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Or, you can just go to Start>Run and type in
>
> msconfig
>
> in the box. When that opens, go to the startup tab and deselect the
> program. The next time you restart your pc you will get a popup type
> message that informs you that you have made a change to the way your pc
> starts..just check the box that says don't show me this again.

>> Start here: http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>>
>> MrKrinkle wrote:
>>> I have an annoying icon that keeps appearing in my system try after
>>> startup. I don't want to uninstall the app because I (rarely) use it.
>>> It doesn't have an option to turn off launching on startup. How do I
>>> stop an app from running on startup?

But the poster only wanted to stop one specific app from starting. :)

"Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
> ..and that misses all kinds of things.... ;-)
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>

> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Or, you can just go to Start>Run and type in
>>
>> msconfig
>>
>> in the box. When that opens, go to the startup tab and deselect the
>> program. The next time you restart your pc you will get a popup type
>> message that informs you that you have made a change to the way your pc
>> starts..just check the box that says don't show me this again.
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Start here: http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_launchpoints.html
MSConfig only checks a small fraction of these. It does depend on the
application how it chooses to launch itself.

--

> But the poster only wanted to stop one specific app from starting. :)
>
> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
>> ..and that misses all kinds of things.... ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>>

>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Or, you can just go to Start>Run and type in
>>>
>>> msconfig
>>>
>>> in the box. When that opens, go to the startup tab and deselect the
>>> program. The next time you restart your pc you will get a popup type
>>> message that informs you that you have made a change to the way your pc
>>> starts..just check the box that says don't show me this again.
>>>
>>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

Msconfig will work 98% of the time its only if your using clever or malicious
software that it wont show up in msconfig so i think you should be ok using
lvees's help, also use google and search for a prog called hijackthis, it
find everything that you might not want running, to see what starts up look
for the apps with hkm//run next to them.