upgrade from 98 to xp

can i upgrade from 98 to xp and is it easy enough for a novice
is it just a case of iserting the xp disc
regards graham :rolleyes:

--
graham
4 answers Last reply

    graham wrote:
    > can i upgrade from 98 to xp and is it easy enough for a novice
    > is it just a case of iserting the xp disc
    > regards graham :rolleyes:

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
    system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
    translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
    designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
    can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
    important to you, back it up before proceeding.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    graham <graham.1oj6dq@pcbanter.net> wrote:

    >can i upgrade from 98 to xp and is it easy enough for a novice
    >is it just a case of iserting the xp disc

    Usually yes. But I would install Windows XP parallel to Windows 98 and
    reinstall the programs in XP. The result will be more stable.
    You can then test XP and when you are satisfied uninstall Windows 98.
    "How to Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559)

    --
    (tm)

    In news:eamonn44.1pk7sc@pcbanter.net,
    eamonn44 <eamonn44.1pk7sc@pcbanter.net> typed:

    > No you cant go from 98 to XP, 1st you upgrade to W2000 or
    > WNT4.0, then
    > you can upgrade to XP,

    That's completely false. You can upgrade directly from Windows 98
    without a problem.

    > CPU must 300MHz + as well.

    No, the official minimum is 233MHz. Performance is not likely to
    be great with 233MHz, but then it's not likely to be great with
    300MHz either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    eamonn44 wrote:
    > graham Wrote:
    >
    >>can i upgrade from 98 to xp and is it easy enough for a novice
    >>is it just a case of iserting the xp disc
    >>regards graham :rolleyes:
    >

    > No you cant go from 98 to XP, 1st you upgrade to W2000 or WNT4.0, then
    > you can upgrade to XP,

    That's completely wrong. Where'd you ever get such a silly idea?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm