Asus g71 freezing during gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sac254

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
My Asus G71Gx keeps freezing on me when im playing a game, then i hit control-alt-delete, and re enter the game from Task Manager and i can continue playing until it happens all over again. Any idea what is causing this and what can i do to fix it?

cksh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
What do you mean freezing? Really low fps? or completely locks up? I know that the G71 has a problem if you start playing a game after you come out of a hibernate/powersaver mode. Make sure you reboot before playing.

I have a G71 that will go to about 1 or 2 fps in cysis if I do not reboot before playing. As soon as it heats up beyond a certain temp it does this. Rebooting eliminates the issue. Hopefully they find a fix for it. I have updated the bios but it still does this. Not sure if it is same issue but give it a try.

iverieli

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah I have the same exact problem. I have the latest 1701 BIOS update and anytime I come out of "sleep" mode any game drops to about 2 FPS after 15 minutes or so.

When I restart my computer, the problem seems to go away.

If anyone has a solution for this, please post. Otherwise I hope they come out with a fix for this quickly.

A $1400 gaming laptop should NOT be having this annoying problem. Specially considering its the ASUS brand.

G

The two year old Asus G2S has the exact same problem.
Mine lasted for 1.5 years until the GPU finally died. For the G2s there was never a fix for the problem, as it was hardware related (google for Nvidia 8600M GT).

I'd be surprised if it was related, but you never know.
Asus is helping all G2S owners by replacing the motherboard until they run out of warranty.

Good luck to you guys. I would RMA it as long as it is fixed or they give you a different modell.
Asus policy for an exchange is having the laptop RMAed three times with the exact(!) same issue.

G

yeah i got the same problem i got the g71gx and when i play modern warfare 2 after a certain moment it goes down to 3 fps i found out a way to fix it its all about overheating the GPU waiting 5 min or restarting solves the issue but if u reduce the anti analizing it will stop just reduce graphics and play on asus standard mode. i took off aa and shadows and it never froze since :D

G

yea i know what he's talking about i call it the blue screen of death that's when he tries to do something on the computer it freezes it self. but by the look of it i just had that problem yesterday July 9, 2010 and now the problem could be:

1. missing file in the Hard-drive.

2. CPU problems

3. or just simply a low Virtual memory

4. or a big huge Trojan that wasn't detected by your virus protector hit your driver.

my suggestion is calling asus or going to a local geek squad and have them look at it

Status
Not open for further replies.