Need help diagnosing P4P800 problem with PAT on

DanH

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,

I'm having trouble activating HyperPath(PAT) on my P4P800 Deluxe. If anyone is able to diagnose the most likely cause I would be most grateful.

When I have it configured as

Turbo = enabled
Memory Acceleration = auto

it works fine. As soon as I try to turn on PAT with :

Turbo = enabled
Memory Acceleration = enabled

the machine won't even post! It resets coming out of bios settings, and then after a bit the monitor switches off due to no signal. There are no warning beeps etc.

Fortunately after turning the pc off/on again, it realises it failed and lets me set the option back to what it was.

Anyone able to pin down where the problem is? Suspecting it may be the mobo given that it didn't even post.

I'm yet to try the 1008 beta bios, so that will be my last resort.

Config :

P4P800 deluxe 1007 bios
3ghz 800 bus Pentium 4
2x512 meg Corsair 3200 LL memory sticks (not matched, but identical models) 2-2-2-6 (alledgedly)
2xSeagata V SATA 120 gig drive configured as RAID 0
Geforce 3 ti500

Onboard audio active.
Onboard network card active.
WinXP SP1

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DanH on 06/26/03 05:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

DanH

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely convinced about turning off Turbo mode though as according to this site, the optimal solution is turbo=on, memory accel=auto.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/print/asus-p4p800.html

I realise that I'm trying to do turbo=on, memory accel=on against their recommendation, but I'd like to benchmark for myself as their conclusion seems 'interesting'.

Its also interesting to note from the article how PAT is really implemented, which suggest the linked post you attached is probably wrong. Apparently having PAT off they introduce extra, and unnecessary, steps into the memory pipeline (which are not present at lower bus speeds). By turning it on, you use the same path as lower bus speeds. Could just be a marketecture issue...

Oh also, anyone know what TURBO actually does? Is it overclocking the memory or something?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DanH on 06/26/03 06:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>