Need the name of this really old pc game

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I played this game when I was in elementary school, about 12 years ago, on a DOS PC my dad owned. In this game, you control some kind of mining machine, the goal of this game is to collect all the blue gems on the field, there are also big bags of gold. There are monsters coming out of the top right and you can kill them by shooting out something from your miner and the ammo reloads in a few seconds. If you push the gold bag or hollow out the ground below, it will drop to the bottom and killing everything on its way.

I think I gave a good enough description, can anyone tell me the name of that game so maybe I can play it again to bring back some memories? Thanks a lot :wahoo:

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
There were tons of clones of that type of game. The specifics of the one you describe doesn't make any name jump out to me, but it's safe to say there were probably a handful of "different" games which fit that description. I always liked those types of games because they almost gave the sense of being more than 2D even though they weren't 3D. Obviously I don't mean graphically but the idea of moving through the ground and also above the ground had the feel of an added dimension. Google "DOS mining games" and I'm sure you'll get something worthwhile even if it's not exactly what you are thinking of.

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
OMG I FOUND IT!!!
I searched for a list of DOS games and it was on the third page when I sorted them by downloads count.

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/digger/

SteveRST

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Sweet!!! I remember playing that game when I was 10 years old (20 years ago) on my first PC. An 8088 @ 10Mhz running MS-DOS 3.1.
Downloading it now..... :)

Anyone remember Alley Cat ? http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/alley-cat/

trenthatch

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Shweet ! I played it back in 198x on my uncle 7mhz IBM Compatible XT with 640kb of Ram and a Monochrome CRT monitor, think it had MS DOS 3.0