Blizzard Sorc workable with base energy?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 18, 2005 12:12:09 AM

All,

I decided that rather than making a well-rounded Fire/Cold sorceress,
I'd just make a pure (pretty much) Blizzard sorceress for single
player. She should rock in normal and nightmare. In hell, I'll have
problems, but I have 3 pcs and 3 diablo and expansion cds so I can have
my necromancer get her past any tough spots IF necessary (will try to
do it without him).

ANYWAY, I'm wanting her to be a max block base energy sorceress but,
I'm wondering if it is possible to support Blizzard with base energy
(since I'm going for max block). Also, what strength should I shoot
for? Are there any must-have cold-sorc one tree items I should shoot
for, and do they have strength requirements?

This is all single player, no runeword patches or anything funky, just
straight 1.10, so I wont have any realms gear, and I dont really have
much twink gear either.

As an addendum, which spells, if taken as your main attack spell, do or
don't work well with Base Energy, among these:

Frozen Orb?

Fireball/Meteor?

Chain Lightning?

I ask because I'm thinking I may make a Chain Lightning Sorceress (with
some FO as backup) and I'm also thinking of making a Frozen Orb only
sorceress for quick nightmare runs and such. Fireball/Meteor is another
sorceress I may make.

Thanks,

Lewis
June 18, 2005 11:13:44 AM

SVH,

The reason I don't want to use the runewords patch is that it isn't
official. So, I kinda feel like I'm wasting my time, or something. Not
that anybody else but me cares. Also, on rare occasion, I do haul my
characters over to my friend's house for LAN gaming, and I'd like to be
on the same page as them, so to speak.

Lewis
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 9:15:07 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, lewis@lwb.org, supreme ruler of
bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>ANYWAY, I'm wanting her to be a max block base energy sorceress but,
>I'm wondering if it is possible to support Blizzard with base energy
>(since I'm going for max block). Also, what strength should I shoot
>for? Are there any must-have cold-sorc one tree items I should shoot
>for, and do they have strength requirements?

Armour-wise, 60 for frostburns, plated belts and a grim shield (e.g. in
"rhyme" form, or shopped chromatic/deflecting) is one good target if you don't
think you'll get a shot at obtaining some of the higher grade armours such as
tals or skullers. Depending on shield of choice, you could need more than 60
base line, one common example being a heater (77 strength), either as a
"rhyme" runeword or upgraded visceratuant.

>This is all single player, no runeword patches or anything funky, just
>straight 1.10, so I wont have any realms gear, and I dont really have
>much twink gear either.

I'd certainly say it's doable, given that you'll have unlimited access to mana
potions, and eventually some great wyrms or bahamuts rings and mana charms are
going to drop (or gambled for, in the case of the rings) eventually.

Any particular reason you don't want to use the runewords patch?

>As an addendum, which spells, if taken as your main attack spell, do or
>don't work well with Base Energy, among these:

>Frozen Orb?

>Fireball/Meteor?

>Chain Lightning?

CL is pretty mana intensive for base energy if you have an aggressive play
style, but the others work fine.

--
Rakanishu!
Related resources

<lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message
> SVH,
>
> The reason I don't want to use the runewords patch is that it isn't
> official. So, I kinda feel like I'm wasting my time, or something. Not
> that anybody else but me cares. Also, on rare occasion, I do haul my
> characters over to my friend's house for LAN gaming, and I'd like to be
> on the same page as them, so to speak.
>
> Lewis

You might be interested in the fact that I am doing a max block, no mana
blizz sorc right now, but on the ladder so I have access to the insight
runeword. It works well that way, she is welcomed on baal runs, since her
merc gives near unlimited mana to the party. I have to really spam blizz
hard to run the mana ball down, and it will fill back up in seconds if I do.
June 20, 2005 11:34:20 AM

Short,

I want a good hell countess running, and that is what I want my CL/Orb
sorceress for. I'm mainly concerned about blocking for the teleport
trip down to her. In single player, assuming I play through slowly to
get a good map, then I know where to go. I'm just worried that without
a good blocking chance that enemies will be able to thwack me pretty
good. I was planning on shooting for a high block and nice fast cast
for the trip down (spectral shard, perhaps).

Can a hell countess runner do well without max (or high) block?

Lewis
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:59:45 PM

> All,
>
> I decided that rather than making a well-rounded Fire/Cold sorceress,
> I'd just make a pure (pretty much) Blizzard sorceress for single
> player. She should rock in normal and nightmare. In hell, I'll have
> problems, but I have 3 pcs and 3 diablo and expansion cds so I can have
> my necromancer get her past any tough spots IF necessary (will try to
> do it without him).
>
> ANYWAY, I'm wanting her to be a max block base energy sorceress but,
> I'm wondering if it is possible to support Blizzard with base energy
> (since I'm going for max block). Also, what strength should I shoot
> for? Are there any must-have cold-sorc one tree items I should shoot
> for, and do they have strength requirements?

Short answer is, yes. All of my Sorcs are Base Energy at this point, even
before the Insight runeword.
The only thing that requires a lot of strength is a Spirit Monarch, but you
don't really need that with a Blizzard Sorc. I'd just push Str to 60? for
Frostburns.

> This is all single player, no runeword patches or anything funky, just
> straight 1.10, so I wont have any realms gear, and I dont really have
> much twink gear either.
>
> As an addendum, which spells, if taken as your main attack spell, do or
> don't work well with Base Energy, among these:
>
> Frozen Orb?

Do

> Fireball/Meteor?

FB eats it up, Meteor works ok.

> Chain Lightning?

Carry lots of blues if you can't make Insight :)

> I ask because I'm thinking I may make a Chain Lightning Sorceress (with
> some FO as backup) and I'm also thinking of making a Frozen Orb only
> sorceress for quick nightmare runs and such. Fireball/Meteor is another
> sorceress I may make.

Fireball would get more powerful earlier on.....but an FO Sorc (even with no
Synergies) works fine for sure

short

June 20, 2005 1:59:45 PM

<lewis@lwb.org> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I decided that rather than making a well-rounded Fire/Cold sorceress,
> I'd just make a pure (pretty much) Blizzard sorceress for single
> player. She should rock in normal and nightmare. In hell, I'll have
> problems, but I have 3 pcs and 3 diablo and expansion cds so I can have
> my necromancer get her past any tough spots IF necessary (will try to
> do it without him).
>
> ANYWAY, I'm wanting her to be a max block base energy sorceress but,
> I'm wondering if it is possible to support Blizzard with base energy
> (since I'm going for max block). Also, what strength should I shoot
> for? Are there any must-have cold-sorc one tree items I should shoot
> for, and do they have strength requirements?

Short answer is, yes. All of my Sorcs are Base Energy at this point, even
before the Insight runeword.
The only thing that requires a lot of strength is a Spirit Monarch, but you
don't really need that with a Blizzard Sorc. I'd just push Str to 60? for
Frostburns.

> This is all single player, no runeword patches or anything funky, just
> straight 1.10, so I wont have any realms gear, and I dont really have
> much twink gear either.
>
> As an addendum, which spells, if taken as your main attack spell, do or
> don't work well with Base Energy, among these:
>
> Frozen Orb?

Do

> Fireball/Meteor?

FB eats it up, Meteor works ok.