Buying from a Verizon Kiosk

Mike

Splendid

Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
(warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks

On 26 Jun 2004 14:34:09 -0700, mem7759@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote:

>Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
>they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
>might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
>kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
>I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
>contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
>(warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
>well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks

VZW may not perform warranty work/exchanges for things purchased at a
VZW *dealer* (meaning a independent dealer who sells VZW phones and
service). If it is a VZW owned and operated kiosk, then no problem.

"Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
> they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
> might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
> kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
> I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
> contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
> (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
> well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks

If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price for
it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may however
be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will sign
you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a free
phone.

This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're theirs
they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time and
then come back.

A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them on
Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate the
phone on your Verizon account.

Mike

Splendid

"alphageek" <noemailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in message news:<wZednZcTTPYRIH3dRVn-uA@adelphia.com>...
> "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
> > they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
> > might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
> > kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
> > I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
> > contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
> > (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
> > well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
>
> If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price for
> it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
> once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may however
> be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will sign
> you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
> collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a free
> phone.
>
> This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
> Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're theirs
> they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time and
> then come back.
>
> A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them on
> Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate the
> phone on your Verizon account.

The rules must have changed. He was able to look up my account and
said he could do an extension to the existing contract. What he
looked up was to verify if I qualified for a "discount", for a new
user. I did end up talking to VZW about this, and they said the main
difference is that this place might not be able to do things like
software upgrades and other warranty stuff, that I would have to take
it to a VZW store.

Completely untrue. I am a VZW agent. The only thing I can't offer is the
New Every Two discount.

Jason Reuschlein

"alphageek" <noemailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in message

> "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
>> they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
>> might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
>> kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
>> I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
>> contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
>> (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
>> well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
>
> If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price for
> it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
> once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may
> however
> be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will sign
> you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
> collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a
> free
> phone.
>
> This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
> Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're
> theirs
> they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time and
> then come back.
>
> A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them on
> Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate the
> phone on your Verizon account.

It may very well be untrue today, but a few years ago when I went to an
independent reseller they couldn't do anything for me since I was already a
Verizon customer. They had some great offers but I wasn't eligible for any
of them.

And heaven only knows what Radio Shack will do for anyone anymore.

Is there a difference between a verizon 'agent' such as yourself and an
individual whose business sells verizon phones and plans? Are they all
agents too?

"Jason Reuschlein" <jreuschl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Completely untrue. I am a VZW agent. The only thing I can't offer is the
> New Every Two discount.
>
> Jason Reuschlein
>
> "alphageek" <noemailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
> >> they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
> >> might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
> >> kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
> >> I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
> >> contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
> >> (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
> >> well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
> >
> > If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price
for
> > it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
> > once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may
> > however
> > be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will
sign
> > you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
> > collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a
> > free
> > phone.
> >
> > This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
> > Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're
> > theirs
> > they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time
and
> > then come back.
> >
> > A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them
on
> > Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate
the
> > phone on your Verizon account.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

granted this was about 5 years ago I bought a new (discounted) phone for
Verizon wireless (was Bell Atlantic Mobile at the time) from Radio
Shack. Of course it entended my contract. The new phone was active
before I left the store.

TRENDING THREADS