Buying from a Verizon Kiosk

Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
(warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about buying verizon kiosk

    On 26 Jun 2004 14:34:09 -0700, mem7759@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote:

    >Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
    >they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
    >might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
    >kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
    >I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
    >contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
    >(warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
    >well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks

    VZW may not perform warranty work/exchanges for things purchased at a
    VZW *dealer* (meaning a independent dealer who sells VZW phones and
    service). If it is a VZW owned and operated kiosk, then no problem.

    "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
    > they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
    > might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
    > kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
    > I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
    > contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
    > (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
    > well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks

    If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price for
    it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
    once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may however
    be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will sign
    you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
    collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a free
    phone.

    This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
    Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're theirs
    they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time and
    then come back.

    A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them on
    Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate the
    phone on your Verizon account.

    "alphageek" <noemailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in message news:<wZednZcTTPYRIH3dRVn-uA@adelphia.com>...
    > "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
    > > they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
    > > might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
    > > kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
    > > I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
    > > contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
    > > (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
    > > well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
    >
    > If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price for
    > it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
    > once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may however
    > be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will sign
    > you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
    > collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a free
    > phone.
    >
    > This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
    > Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're theirs
    > they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time and
    > then come back.
    >
    > A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them on
    > Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate the
    > phone on your Verizon account.

    The rules must have changed. He was able to look up my account and
    said he could do an extension to the existing contract. What he
    looked up was to verify if I qualified for a "discount", for a new
    user. I did end up talking to VZW about this, and they said the main
    difference is that this place might not be able to do things like
    software upgrades and other warranty stuff, that I would have to take
    it to a VZW store.

    Completely untrue. I am a VZW agent. The only thing I can't offer is the
    New Every Two discount.

    Jason Reuschlein

    "alphageek" <noemailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
    >> they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
    >> might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
    >> kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
    >> I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
    >> contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
    >> (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
    >> well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
    >
    > If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price for
    > it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
    > once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may
    > however
    > be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will sign
    > you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
    > collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a
    > free
    > phone.
    >
    > This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
    > Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're
    > theirs
    > they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time and
    > then come back.
    >
    > A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them on
    > Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate the
    > phone on your Verizon account.

    It may very well be untrue today, but a few years ago when I went to an
    independent reseller they couldn't do anything for me since I was already a
    Verizon customer. They had some great offers but I wasn't eligible for any
    of them.

    And heaven only knows what Radio Shack will do for anyone anymore.

    Is there a difference between a verizon 'agent' such as yourself and an
    individual whose business sells verizon phones and plans? Are they all
    agents too?

    "Jason Reuschlein" <jreuschl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Completely untrue. I am a VZW agent. The only thing I can't offer is the
    > New Every Two discount.
    >
    > Jason Reuschlein
    >
    > "alphageek" <noemailplease@uhdelfia.not> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike" <mem7759@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> Kind of a dumb question here. I am looking for a LG VX4400. Since
    > >> they are discontinued, they are getting harder and harder to find. I
    > >> might be able to get one from a Verizon dealer, which is a little
    > >> kiosk in a mall. Is there any drawbacks to buying from one of these?
    > >> I already have existing service, I would just need to extend my
    > >> contract, right? Any issues, I could just deal with Verizon direct
    > >> (warranty wise). I'm sure this has probably been asked before as
    > >> well, but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks
    > >
    > > If you get the phone from a kiosk, you will have to pay the full price
    for
    > > it. You cannot renew your verizon contract through a non-Verizon source,
    > > once you belong to Verizon they won't share you with anyone. You may
    > > however
    > > be able to create a new account from scratch if the kiosk vendor will
    sign
    > > you up. I think that once you belong to Verizon the kiosk reseller can't
    > > collect anything for his trouble from Verizon so he will not give you a
    > > free
    > > phone.
    > >
    > > This is assuming the kiosk is not Verizon owned and operated, and that
    > > Verizon hasn't changed their rules in the last few years. Once you're
    > > theirs
    > > they've got you, the only way out is to leave Verizon for a long time
    and
    > > then come back.
    > >
    > > A friend of mine has a habit of losing his cell phones so he finds them
    on
    > > Ebay and buys them. You might be able to do that, then simply activate
    the
    > > phone on your Verizon account.

    granted this was about 5 years ago I bought a new (discounted) phone for
    Verizon wireless (was Bell Atlantic Mobile at the time) from Radio
    Shack. Of course it entended my contract. The new phone was active
    before I left the store.

Verizon LG Internet Service Providers