Hi

I have a problem with my outlook express account. Every time I try to send
or receive my email, a logon box appears which asks me to enter my user name
and password for the following server.

When i click OK, it keeps coming back and asking for the user name and
password and when I click cancel an error message appears which says:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was
rejected.

Can anyone please help me get rid of this log on box? All help will be very
much appreciated.

"Charity Case" <Charity Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a problem with my outlook express account. Every time I try to
> send
> or receive my email, a logon box appears which asks me to enter my user
> name
> and password for the following server.
>
> When i click OK, it keeps coming back and asking for the user name and
> password and when I click cancel an error message appears which says:
>
> There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was
> rejected.
>
> Can anyone please help me get rid of this log on box? All help will be
> very
> much appreciated.

did you enter your ISP account name, ISP password and server info (POP and
SMTP) correctly under tools/accounts?

Yes. I have checked with my isp and all accounts are correct. What I want
to know is how do I get rid of the logon box.

"steve eddy" wrote:

> "Charity Case" <Charity Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a problem with my outlook express account. Every time I try to
> > send
> > or receive my email, a logon box appears which asks me to enter my user
> > name
> > and password for the following server.
> >
> > When i click OK, it keeps coming back and asking for the user name and
> > password and when I click cancel an error message appears which says:
> >
> > There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was
> > rejected.
> >
> > Can anyone please help me get rid of this log on box? All help will be
> > very
> > much appreciated.
>

> did you enter your ISP account name, ISP password and server info (POP and
> SMTP) correctly under tools/accounts?

A thought. Have you inadvertently checked the box before "Secure
Password Authentication" -in Outlook Express Tools, Accounts, place
cursor on Mail Account and select Properties, Servers. The box above
"Secure Password Authentication" before "Remember Password" should be
checked.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Yes. I have checked with my isp and all accounts are correct. What I
> want
> to know is how do I get rid of the logon box.
>

> "steve eddy" wrote:
>

>> "Charity Case" <Charity Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a problem with my outlook express account. Every time I try
>> > send
>> > or receive my email, a logon box appears which asks me to enter my
>> > user
>> > name
>> > and password for the following server.
>> >
>> > When i click OK, it keeps coming back and asking for the user name
>> > and
>> > password and when I click cancel an error message appears which
>> > says:
>> >
>> > There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password
>> > was
>> > rejected.
>> >
>> > Can anyone please help me get rid of this log on box? All help
>> > will be
>> > very
>> > much appreciated.
>>

>> did you enter your ISP account name, ISP password and server info
>> (POP and
>> SMTP) correctly under tools/accounts?

Thank you Gerry for your reply but no it hasn't helped. My problem is with
the logon box that comes up when I try to send/receive my email. The box has
a picture of a lock and key and asks me to enter my username and password for
my pop3 server. When I enter my username and password and click OK the box
keeps reappearing and wont go away but when I click cancel it gives me 'There

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> A thought. Have you inadvertently checked the box before "Secure
> Password Authentication" -in Outlook Express Tools, Accounts, place
> cursor on Mail Account and select Properties, Servers. The box above
> "Secure Password Authentication" before "Remember Password" should be
> checked.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Charity Case" <Charity Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes. I have checked with my isp and all accounts are correct. What I
> > want
> > to know is how do I get rid of the logon box.
> >

> > "steve eddy" wrote:
> >

> >> "Charity Case" <Charity Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

> >> did you enter your ISP account name, ISP password and server info
> >> (POP and
> >> SMTP) correctly under tools/accounts?

On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:21:03 -0700, Charity Case <Charity
Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Yes. I have checked with my isp and all accounts are correct. What I want
>to know is how do I get rid of the logon box.
The log on box will go when you log on successfully. This usually
happens so fast (when log on details are correct) that you may not see
it happen. Are you positive that you are using the correct password and
account name to log on? I've seen some where the account (user) name is
different to the email address. Passwords are also usually case
sensitive, could this be the problem?
MH

>"steve eddy" wrote:
>

>> "Charity Case" <Charity Case@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a problem with my outlook express account. Every time I try to
>> > send
>> > or receive my email, a logon box appears which asks me to enter my user
>> > name
>> > and password for the following server.
>> >
>> > When i click OK, it keeps coming back and asking for the user name and
>> > password and when I click cancel an error message appears which says:
>> >
>> > There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was
>> > rejected.
>> >
>> > Can anyone please help me get rid of this log on box? All help will be
>> > very
>> > much appreciated.
>>

>> did you enter your ISP account name, ISP password and server info (POP and
>> SMTP) correctly under tools/accounts?

Tools > Options > Accounts > [account] > Properties > Servers > Log-on using
Secure Password Authorization (Is this checked? Should it be?)

Tools > Options > Accounts > [account] > Properties > Servers > Outgoing >
My server requires authentication (Is this checked? Should it be?)
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Charity Case wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a problem with my outlook express account. Every time I try
> to send or receive my email, a logon box appears which asks me to
> enter my user name and password for the following server.
>
> When i click OK, it keeps coming back and asking for the user name and
> password and when I click cancel an error message appears which says:
>
> There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your password was
> rejected.
>
> Can anyone please help me get rid of this log on box? All help will
> be very much appreciated.

Courtesy of Michael Santovec -

The Invalid password error message can mean that any of the following
are wrong:
- POP3 server name
- Logon Using Account Name (some require the full e-mail address
you@somewhere.com,
others just want the user part)
- Logon Using Password (often case sensitive)
- Incorrect use of Secure Password Authentication (SPA) - few servers
use this.
- Incorrect use of SSL - few servers use this.
Check these in Outlook Express at Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties,
Servers (Advanced tab
for SSL). Check with your ISP for the correct values. If the values
seem correct,
retype them and click APPLY. In the event that the account settings are
corrupted in the
registry, it might be necessary to delete the mail account, restart OE
and then set up the
account again. In some cases it might be necessary to set up a new
identity in OE and
create the mail account there.

--
Kath Adams