restore Cd how to use

Hi, my computer is under a year old and has norton protecting it,this is set
to automatic updates. How ever i have spent a week trying to get rid of
trojan feat 2. I have looked at various sites and downloaded several
including spy bot ad aware ectra but nothing is stopping my pages from being
hijacked and adds being thrown at me (normally for add stoppers and trojan
stoppers). I should like to restore my computer back to its original
settings. I have the discs but no information on how to use them. can any one
point me in the right direction please. many thanks
Irene
8 answers Last reply
More about restore

    Did your computer not come with instructions on how to use the restore CDs?
    In any case, restore CDs are proprietary, so you'll have to ask the company
    that made your computer.

    Modem Ani

    "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, my computer is under a year old and has norton protecting it,this is
    set
    > to automatic updates. How ever i have spent a week trying to get rid of
    > trojan feat 2. I have looked at various sites and downloaded several
    > including spy bot ad aware ectra but nothing is stopping my pages from
    being
    > hijacked and adds being thrown at me (normally for add stoppers and trojan
    > stoppers). I should like to restore my computer back to its original
    > settings. I have the discs but no information on how to use them. can any
    one
    > point me in the right direction please. many thanks
    > Irene

    Why do you think it necessary to turn off SR before doing clean up jobs,
    surely it would be better to leave this alone until problems have been
    sorted out, at least that way if something gets screwed up you can get
    back to a working system by using it. After the system has been cleaned
    you could flush out SR to get rid of any rubbish left in there and set a
    new clean checkpoint.
    Joan

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

    >snip>
    > OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the
    > Start button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties..
    > now select the 'System Restore' tab..
    >
    > Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore
    > on all drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok
    > to lose all restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'
    >

    >snip>

    Joan

    If something gets screwed, using System Restore will in all probability
    re-introduce every problem.. this assumes of course that System Restore
    completes without errors.. it may or may not complete because the problem
    infection is well embedded in every restore point.. virus and trojan authors
    are not stupid and recognised aways back that System Restore had to be
    targeted.. Help and Support, and any incumbent diagnostic tool can be and
    often are disabled in the same way..

    It is important to eliminate as many possible causes as normal removal
    procedure allows.. leaving useful utilities that were downloaded and run
    with 'sponsor programs' intact, P2P sharing programs et al must go.. there
    is little point in carrying out any clean up procedure if on a reboot, it
    all comes back because the offending software is still there, having been
    given clearance by the user to operate freely at some earlier point in
    time..

    So, the user completes, in order, all that I suggest and duly reboots, and
    as long as the tools have done their job, System Restore will contain one
    restore point, and it will be a good one..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Why do you think it necessary to turn off SR before doing clean up jobs,
    > surely it would be better to leave this alone until problems have been
    > sorted out, at least that way if something gets screwed up you can get
    > back to a working system by using it. After the system has been cleaned
    > you could flush out SR to get rid of any rubbish left in there and set a
    > new clean checkpoint.
    > Joan
    >

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >>
    >>snip>
    >> OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the
    >> Start button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties..
    >> now select the 'System Restore' tab..
    >>
    >> Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore
    >> on all drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok
    >> to lose all restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'
    >>

    >>snip>

    I hear you, <g> and yes it could bring back the problems but at least
    there would still be a system to try again.

    The clean up and tools you recommend should do the job nicely but there is
    always the chance a user could by mistake not do a certain procedure
    correctly or hit a wrong button and *be up the creek without a paddle*
    but at least they would have the option to go back through SR and start
    again.

    I don't in any way want to argue the point with you as I know there are
    many who agree with your approach but of course many others who don't, I
    was just asking the reason why you suggested it.

    I will bow out gracefully now and let you continue with your excellent
    help <g>
    Joan

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Joan
    >
    > If something gets screwed, using System Restore will in all
    > probability re-introduce every problem.. this assumes of course that
    > System Restore completes without errors.. it may or may not complete
    > because the problem infection is well embedded in every restore
    > point.. virus and trojan authors are not stupid and recognised aways
    > back that System Restore had to be targeted.. Help and Support, and
    > any incumbent diagnostic tool can be and often are disabled in the
    > same way..
    >snip>

    Joan

    I have seen more than a few problems created by System Restore restoring
    virus infections, much to the surprise of the user, and cases where System
    Restore failed completely, making the situation worse.. there is a
    temptation by some to format and start over when this happens, which is what
    I am trying to avoid..

    That said, users are welcome to use whatever part of the advice they think
    will work for them, and if it does, all power to them..

    --

    Husky wrote:
    || Just my $0.02, but you were given more info than you needed.
    || Running all the above is possibly causing trouble. A firewall, and
    || virus program should be all you need for protection from invaders.

    Um just having a firewall and AV will *NOT* protect you from malware.
    Malware is NOT detected by AV programs as it's NOT a virus.
    Neither will a firewall protect you from malware as you get them (usually)
    from a website you are already on. You don't have to open anything, thus the
    firewall is not alerted to illegal activity.

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Hi, Just to clear up some issues, the computer is under a year old and i had
    Norton running automatic updates and my firewall was on, i had micosoft auto
    updateing. Every thing was going fine until my home page dissapeared and i
    was bombarded with adverts normally form virus removers. I down loaded avg
    which did a scan and told me i had malware including cool web search and
    about blank as i am writing this a warning from avg tells me that
    c:/windows/d3wo.exe trojan horse downloader 12D and 12Q is trying to enter so
    i have healed it. i am worried by all this as i do my banking ect online.Can
    any one help with this? has anyone got rid of this? i think i would really
    like to start from scratch, i have my discs but nothing to tell me how to use
    them. i am not really very confident re the registery so i am looking for a
    fix for dummies.If some one can tell me how to do this and then what to load
    after i restart to keep myself safe i would be very grateful. And i just want
    to say thanks to every one who has tried to help.
    irene

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 12:02:08 -0700, "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi, Just to clear up some issues, the computer is under a year old and i had
    >Norton running automatic updates and my firewall was on, i had micosoft auto
    >updateing. Every thing was going fine until my home page dissapeared and i
    >was bombarded with adverts normally form virus removers. I down loaded avg
    >which did a scan and told me i had malware including cool web search and
    >about blank as i am writing this a warning from avg tells me that
    >c:/windows/d3wo.exe trojan horse downloader 12D and 12Q is trying to enter so
    >i have healed it. i am worried by all this as i do my banking ect online.Can
    >any one help with this? has anyone got rid of this? i think i would really
    >like to start from scratch, i have my discs but nothing to tell me how to use
    >them. i am not really very confident re the registery so i am looking for a
    >fix for dummies.If some one can tell me how to do this and then what to load
    >after i restart to keep myself safe i would be very grateful. And i just want
    >to say thanks to every one who has tried to help.
    >irene
    I can only speak from what I know.
    Adaware will search and find some problems. Enough that I upgraded from the
    FREE version for the extras.
    Adaware as is [FREE] is still your strongest tool against malware, tracking
    cookies, some virii and Trojans, and hijackers which you say you have.

    Trend Housecall 1st, then run Adaware. Some things you MUST reboot And rescan.
    You know what a tick is right ? They attach themselves so that the only way is
    to burn them off, ditto with some malware. Once it's in use while running, the
    only way to remove it is to chop it's legs off while running, reboot and remove
    the head.
    Weatherbug was like that. search bar, home page hijackers are like that. You
    can delete the body, but if you don't get the head it continues infecting. The
    head is usually just a registry entry or web page that keeps on installing
    itself every time you access the web in the back ground.

    From experience whenever I had to re-install the OS, the 1st program installed
    was the anti virus.
    Then several days of configuration. Then connect to the web.
    If I were you and still having your problems, would be to go back to Trend and
    run Housecall.
    I'm just wondering if you're actually blocking the installation of Housecall.
    It does need to install something on your machine. Take the load off their
    servers to inspect your machine, by providing you with a free scanner to look
    on your machine at home and report the results back to trend.

    >> Um just having a firewall and AV will *NOT* protect you from malware.
    >> Malware is NOT detected by AV programs as it's NOT a virus.
    >> Neither will a firewall protect you from malware as you get them (usually)
    >> from a website you are already on. You don't have to open anything, thus the
    >> firewall is not alerted to illegal activity.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Gordon Burgess-Parker
    >> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    >> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

CD-Rom Computers Windows XP