Scott

I have a couple of registry tweaks for speeding up my internet
connection. I just double clicked on each of the .reg patches.
They didn't help, and I couldn't figure out how to run the
remover script (below). So I imported the previous good
registry, and everything works fine. If I do this again, what
is the procedure for undoing the registry tweaks using the
script below?

Thanks!
Scott

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=Delete_Old_Tweaks
AddReg=Add_TweakXPress_Tweaks

[Delete_Old_Tweaks]
HKU,.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,MaxConnectionsPerServer
HKU,.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,MaxConnectionsPerServer
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

That script is actually an .inf file. If the file has an .inf extension on its
name, it will have "Install" listed in its right-click context menu. Right-click>
click Install, is how you would run it.

The .inf was apparently written for WinXP, 2K or NT, based on the "Signature" line
of the file. The correct Signature line for Win9x would be "$CHICAGO$"

I would not use an inf file for this sort of thing. Simply use Regedit's function
to export the key to your desktop (on Regedit's Registry menu), prior to running the
tweak. Then, if needed, you can simply merge the exported .reg file, to restore the
previous data in the key.

IIRC, the tweak referred to in that .inf file is for increasing the maximum number
of simultaneous downloads you can have going at once. It doesn't alter anything in
the rest of the system.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> That script is actually an .inf file. If the file has an .inf extension on its
> name, it will have "Install" listed in its right-click context menu. Right-click>
> click Install, is how you would run it.
>
> The .inf was apparently written for WinXP, 2K or NT, based on the "Signature" line
> of the file. The correct Signature line for Win9x would be "$CHICAGO$"

Of course, we are in an XP group right now, so that info about the Signature line is
not relevant to the conversation ;-) I forget which group I am in sometimes,
especially late at night....

> I would not use an inf file for this sort of thing. Simply use Regedit's function
> to export the key to your desktop (on Regedit's Registry menu), prior to running
the
> tweak. Then, if needed, you can simply merge the exported .reg file, to restore
the
> previous data in the key.
>
> IIRC, the tweak referred to in that .inf file is for increasing the maximum number
> of simultaneous downloads you can have going at once. It doesn't alter anything
in
> the rest of the system.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:427AA8E6.FAE3E42A@uslink.net...
> > I have a couple of registry tweaks for speeding up my internet
> > connection. I just double clicked on each of the .reg patches.
> > They didn't help, and I couldn't figure out how to run the
> > remover script (below). So I imported the previous good
> > registry, and everything works fine. If I do this again, what
> > is the procedure for undoing the registry tweaks using the
> > script below?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
> >

> > [Version]
> > Signature = "$Windows NT$"
> >
> > [DefaultInstall]
> > DelReg=Delete_Old_Tweaks
> > AddReg=Add_TweakXPress_Tweaks
> >
> > [Delete_Old_Tweaks]
> > HKU,.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings,MaxConnectionsPerServer
> > HKU,.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings,MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
> > HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings,MaxConnectionsPerServer
> > HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings,MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

Scott

glee,

Yes, of course....right click and "install". I think I did it that way once
before. You're right, though, exporting the registry key in question as a
backup and then restoring it is a cleaner way to do it.

Scott