Guide Lines for P/S ?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I've been reading alot of post of bad or under powered power supplies. Is there any type of chart or documented guide line to fallow when choing them? I plan to upgrade soon too, and I've noticed that with the new chipsets and hotter and faster cpu's and what not that alot of P/S's are failing on people. I know that too much is good, but I have a antec T430, so when I get my new mobo will i need to go higher, whos got 300 bucks for a 660watt ps?? Should redundency be the next step instead of guessing and going big? I feel silly asking the Q after 7 years of being around computers but i never thought about it till now. Anyone else?

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.

Check out in the <b>Other Components</b> Section,<b>Building Your Own Computer/Power Supply/Suggestions</b>, you may find the info you need to make your own decision.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Or list your full specs here, no one will be able to help you without your specs.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
No real details at hand, just a general question. I was looking for a simpler answer, rather than pulling out all my devices and cheking the the amps on the +3.3V,+5V,and +12V rails. But thanks

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
THG did a review of PSUs a short time ago....:
<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/index.html" target="_new">ClickItLikeYouWantItBaby</A>
Worth looking at just to see how bad a cheapo PSU can be - not that they're all bad of course....

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.