Virtual memory warning

sweetleaf

I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once in
a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I have
always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I doing
the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from happening?
Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?

--
I am running Windows xp.
Cable internet broadband connection .

Go to System Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance section Settings
button->Advanced Tab->Virtual Memory section Change button. Under Maximum
size select "System Managed" then click the Set button. Click Apply and OK
out. Reboot.

If you system has an Intel chipset then visit www.intel.com and see if your
chipset is listed to use the intel accelerator. If so download and install
it. Some intel board require this add-on.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once
> in
> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
> have
> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
> doing
> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
> happening?
> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>
> --
> I am running Windows xp.
> Cable internet broadband connection .
> I have no networked computers.
> I am using mcafee virus protection.
> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Sweetleaf, rt click on MyComputer>select
Properties>Advanced>Performance-Settings>Advanced>Virtual
Memory-Change>Click on Customize>In each Box type: 700 Click on Set, Ok.
"sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once
> in
> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
> have
> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
> doing
> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
> happening?
> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>
> --
> I am running Windows xp.
> Cable internet broadband connection .
> I have no networked computers.
> I am using mcafee virus protection.
> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Why 700?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sweetleaf, rt click on MyComputer>select
> Properties>Advanced>Performance-Settings>Advanced>Virtual
> Memory-Change>Click on Customize>In each Box type: 700 Click on Set, Ok.
> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>> once in
>> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
>> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>> have
>> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>> doing
>> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>> happening?
>> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>>
>> --
>> I am running Windows xp.
>> Cable internet broadband connection .
>> I have no networked computers.
>> I am using mcafee virus protection.
>> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Go here and read the article --
Virtual Memory in Windows XP:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
particularly the section headed "How big should the page file be?"
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once in
> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I have
> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I doing
> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from happening?
> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>
> --
> I am running Windows xp.
> Cable internet broadband connection .
> I have no networked computers.
> I am using mcafee virus protection.
> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

21/2 times his System Ram.
"sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once
> in
> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
> have
> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
> doing
> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
> happening?
> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>
> --
> I am running Windows xp.
> Cable internet broadband connection .
> I have no networked computers.
> I am using mcafee virus protection.
> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

1½ x RAM is the recommended setting. 256x1.5=384.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
> 21/2 times his System Ram.

2.5X the system ram is a myth. Check Alex Nichol's site here
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm scrolling down to "How large should the
pagefile be?"
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> 21/2 times his System Ram.
> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>> once in
>> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
>> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>> have
>> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>> doing
>> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>> happening?
>> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>>
>> --
>> I am running Windows xp.
>> Cable internet broadband connection .
>> I have no networked computers.
>> I am using mcafee virus protection.
>> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Sorry dude. That advice flat out stinks.

If you wish to kill your machine, that's your prerogative. Don't kill other
people's machines.

Do your self an extremely large favor and put the pagefile size back under
control of the OS.

--
Walter Clayton

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sweetleaf, rt click on MyComputer>select
> Properties>Advanced>Performance-Settings>Advanced>Virtual
> Memory-Change>Click on Customize>In each Box type: 700 Click on Set, Ok.
> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>> once in
>> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
>> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>> have
>> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>> doing
>> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>> happening?
>> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>>
>> --
>> I am running Windows xp.
>> Cable internet broadband connection .
>> I have no networked computers.
>> I am using mcafee virus protection.
>> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Bad advice.

System managed is much, much better.

--
Walter Clayton

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 1½ x RAM is the recommended setting. 256x1.5=384.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> 21/2 times his System Ram.

Recommended as a minimum initial size, and that mainly to catch any ram
dumps on system failure.

Simply put: If a user is not an advanced user that understands the
implications of adjusting the pagefile size (minimum or otherwise), they
should leave it to the system-managed default settings. There are no
performance enhancements achieved by forcing smaller or larger sizes, they
only gain or eat disk space. Forcing a smaller size may preclude one from
getting memory dumps to help analyze a system failure. Forcing a maximum
size may invoke "out of memory" errors when a program is loaded that needs
the additional pages. It is best just left to the way it is designed for
normal usage.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 1½ x RAM is the recommended setting. 256x1.5=384.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> 21/2 times his System Ram.

sweetleaf

I have done just that. Will this stop the warning from coming up?
Thank you
Monique
--
i have windows xp with a cable internet connection. I have no networked
computers. I am using mcafee virus protection. I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> Go to System Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance section Settings
> button->Advanced Tab->Virtual Memory section Change button. Under Maximum
> size select "System Managed" then click the Set button. Click Apply and OK
> out. Reboot.
>
> If you system has an Intel chipset then visit www.intel.com and see if your
> chipset is listed to use the intel accelerator. If so download and install
> it. Some intel board require this add-on.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once
> > in
> > a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> > while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
> > have
> > always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
> > doing
> > the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
> > happening?
> > Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> > Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
> >
> > --
> > I am running Windows xp.
> > Cable internet broadband connection .
> > I have no networked computers.
> > I am using mcafee virus protection.
> > Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> > I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Alan

"sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once
> in
> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
> have
> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
> doing
> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
> happening?
> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>
> --
> I am running Windows xp.
> Cable internet broadband connection .
> I have no networked computers.
> I am using mcafee virus protection.
> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

I would advise disabling the pagefile completely if you have sufficient RAM.
256mb is probably the least amount you would need to do so and remain
viable. I would reccomend 512mb or more.

Virtual memory too the hard disk is a stumbling block for systems in general
and it should be avoided. Pagefile to RAM is ideal.

Don't let Windows rule your life, take control and beat it with a big stick!

If your hard drive is not far off of full, you will get the message..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

>I have done just that. Will this stop the warning from coming up?
> Thank you
> Monique
> --
> i have windows xp with a cable internet connection. I have no networked
> computers. I am using mcafee virus protection. I have a 256mb 128 hard
> drive.
>

> "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
>
>> Go to System Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance section Settings
>> button->Advanced Tab->Virtual Memory section Change button. Under Maximum
>> size select "System Managed" then click the Set button. Click Apply and
>> OK
>> out. Reboot.
>>
>> If you system has an Intel chipset then visit www.intel.com and see if
>> your
>> chipset is listed to use the intel accelerator. If so download and
>> install
>> it. Some intel board require this add-on.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>> > once
>> > in
>> > a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold
>> > on
>> > while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>> > have
>> > always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>> > doing
>> > the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>> > happening?
>> > Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>> > Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>> >
>> > --
>> > I am running Windows xp.
>> > Cable internet broadband connection .
>> > I have no networked computers.
>> > I am using mcafee virus protection.
>> > Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>> > I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

sweetleaf

My computer is about two months old and I don't have many huge files. ie.
movies etc. The man who put my pc together has a local disk C: and a new
volume E: does that have anything to do with why this virtual memory warning
is coming up?
Thanks
Monique
--

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If your hard drive is not far off of full, you will get the message..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have done just that. Will this stop the warning from coming up?
> > Thank you
> > Monique
> > --
> > i have windows xp with a cable internet connection. I have no networked
> > computers. I am using mcafee virus protection. I have a 256mb 128 hard
> > drive.
> >

> > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to System Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance section Settings
> >> button->Advanced Tab->Virtual Memory section Change button. Under Maximum
> >> size select "System Managed" then click the Set button. Click Apply and
> >> OK
> >> out. Reboot.
> >>
> >> If you system has an Intel chipset then visit www.intel.com and see if
> >> your
> >> chipset is listed to use the intel accelerator. If so download and
> >> install
> >> it. Some intel board require this add-on.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
> >>

> >> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Any advantage of select the same size for both Min and Max and then
placing it on it's own partition. I read about
doing it that way to prevent possible fragmentation.
"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> 21/2 times his System Ram.
> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>> once in
>> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
>> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>> have
>> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>> doing
>> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>> happening?
>> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>>
>> --
>> I am running Windows xp.
>> Cable internet broadband connection .
>> I have no networked computers.
>> I am using mcafee virus protection.
>> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

Which means what in the current context?

BTW: you control pagefile 'fragmentation' by setting the low value
sufficiently large. You control when the machines hits the brick performance
wall by setting the high value too low. Which is what everyone that suggests
setting an upper limit does. ;-)

Do yourself a favor. Think 'system managed' and then make it so. Any one
that thinks otherwise outside of specialized environments is doing
themselves a disfavor.

Wake up! Smell the coffee. This is not circa late 60's Unix style platform,
which is from where 99% of the absurd recommendations come from. Technology
has changed rather significantly over the last 40 years. Time to deal with
it.

--
Walter Clayton

> Any advantage of select the same size for both Min and Max and then
> placing it on it's own partition. I read about
> doing it that way to prevent possible fragmentation.
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> 21/2 times his System Ram.
>> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>>> once in
>>> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
>>> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>>> have
>>> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>>> doing
>>> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>>> happening?
>>> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>>> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> I am running Windows xp.
>>> Cable internet broadband connection .
>>> I have no networked computers.
>>> I am using mcafee virus protection.
>>> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>>> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 13:22:08 -0700, sweetleaf
<sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My computer is about two months old and I don't have many huge files. ie.
>movies etc. The man who put my pc together has a local disk C: and a new
>volume E:
Did you get any CD's with PC? (Windows OS, Sytem driver and application
discs etc.,) or did the man put them on to the volume E, if so, this
would reduce the ammount of available disc space.
MH
>does that have anything to do with why this virtual memory warning
>is coming up?
>Thanks
>Monique

sweetleaf

I have the microsoft XP dics. On the E: drive there 53GB free and has one
folder called 'Indentities' and an application that is 45KB, called wab. Do I
delete them? Are they important to me now or anytime soon?
Thanks for your help :)
Monique
--

"Mike Hyndman" wrote:

> On Sat, 7 May 2005 13:22:08 -0700, sweetleaf
> <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >My computer is about two months old and I don't have many huge files. ie.
> >movies etc. The man who put my pc together has a local disk C: and a new
> >volume E:
> Did you get any CD's with PC? (Windows OS, Sytem driver and application
> discs etc.,) or did the man put them on to the volume E, if so, this
> would reduce the ammount of available disc space.
> MH
> >does that have anything to do with why this virtual memory warning
> >is coming up?
> >Thanks
> >Monique

So, after reading Alex's article my understanding is I can set the
Initial to 100MB since I have 512MB of Ram and the
Max at 800 or larger. I will try that for awhile. But never had any
problems setting it at Initial and Max the same. But, I
don't do any large graphics and movie making.
"sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every once
> in
> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
> have
> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
> doing
> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
> happening?
> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>
> --
> I am running Windows xp.
> Cable internet broadband connection .
> I have no networked computers.
> I am using mcafee virus protection.
> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

I have 1GB of RAM and lots of HD space. I just let the system manage it.
Personally I see no advantage for playing around with the RAM size. However
there are reasons for doing so and that is what Alex is referring to.

Here's the challenge. Let the system manage your pagefile for you for a
week. Then adjust it to your liking and run it a week. Then switch back and
let the system manage it again. See if you notice any difference. I'll wager
that you won't see any performance hit with the system managing you
pagefile.

--

> So, after reading Alex's article my understanding is I can set the
> Initial to 100MB since I have 512MB of Ram and the
> Max at 800 or larger. I will try that for awhile. But never had any
> problems setting it at Initial and Max the same. But, I
> don't do any large graphics and movie making.
> "sweetleaf" <sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering about something that just seems to fix it's self. Every
>> once in
>> a while a boxes comes up with a caution sign virtual memory low, hold on
>> while windows.......... some programs may not respond properly....... I
>> have
>> always just closed the window and continued on with no problems. Am I
>> doing
>> the right thing? Is there more I need to do to prevent that from
>> happening?
>> Why is it happening? My pc is pretty new and full of memory.
>> Where is a good place to get answer for silly questions?
>>
>> --
>> I am running Windows xp.
>> Cable internet broadband connection .
>> I have no networked computers.
>> I am using mcafee virus protection.
>> Mc Afee and WindowsXP firewall.
>> I have a 256mb 128 hard drive.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 14:54:04 -0700, sweetleaf
<sweetleaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the microsoft XP dics. On the E: drive there 53GB free and has one
>folder called 'Indentities' and an application that is 45KB, called wab. Do I
>delete them? Are they important to me now or anytime soon?
>Thanks for your help :)
>Monique

Best not to delete anything just yet, you have more than enough drive
space available. The only time I have seen the virtual memory low
warning was on a PC with only a 32GByte H/D and the owner sorted it when
he installed a larger hard drive. The PC I am on at the moment has an
80GByte H/D split into two drives (512 Ram) and is used mainly for
graphics manipulation and the owner has his page files on both
partitions set to 768 -1536 MBytes as he was also getting virtual memory
warnings when using Photoshop. (none since changing PF size)
Regards
Mike H

Harry, thanks for that good suggestion. I will try that.