ASUS-A7V8X-onboard sound issue

zilla

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Howdy, i have the onboard AC'97 avance,,and when i play a music cd i get no rear sound except static. Everything else sounds great, i have logitec z-640 5.1 system. Do i need a codec or drivers or something,or is that just how it is? Everything passes on the sound tests and i havent tried a game yet. Thanks!

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya zilla;

Open your sounds manager for your ac97 audio configuration in your taskbar and goto the speaker configuration tab, in the [no. of speaker] section, select "4 channel mode for 4 speaker output", then in the same tab there is a [phonejack switch] section, the default selection for the blue channel is "line in", you need to change it to "rear speaker out" by clicking on it.
This will allow your rear channel to output sound.

XeeN

zilla

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
XeeN, thanks buddy, we did all that, and still nada, u have to hold speaker to ear to barely hear anything. And should the phone jack switch be clicked or no? Thanks for your help,,we've done just about all the settings in the config. and in playback/recording areas. Thanks again,any other ideas are much appreciated.

ytt

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003
have u checked out ur switch setting on the motherboard about the sound channels?(see the manual) and besure ur rear sound line plug in the line-in port......

if still can't work....sorry......if any other solution i got i'll post it up!

ytt

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003
sorry...i think u must have done it about my first post...
'cause u said other sounds great.......
i just thought out one question.......have u correctly connected the sound line between DVD-ROM(CD OUT) and MB(CD IN)??

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya zilla;

My "syncronize the phonejack switch with the speaker setting" option is Not ticked, and my sound works without any problems, the only thing i can guess is you need to update the drivers. I do have another idea if updating the drivers doesnt work, let me know.

XeeN

zilla

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
Thanks guys,,i checked all the stuff and plugs to be sure,,made sure the line from the cd drive was in the right slot on the motherboard, unchecked the phonejack thing, and got more sound than ever out of the rear,,thanks for your help, dads a lil happier with the computer system i recommended, lol.

Zilla