How to have program load for all users?

With XP Pro, I installed McAfee as Admin, but it does not show as running
when I log in as User. How can I have it run for all accounts?

TIA,
Craig
5 answers Last reply
More about program load users

    Hi Craig,

    When logged in as a regular user, hit ctrl+shift+escape and check to see if
    its various parts are running on the processes tab.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > With XP Pro, I installed McAfee as Admin, but it does not show as running
    > when I log in as User. How can I have it run for all accounts?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Craig

    OK - that's the problem - it is not running when logged in as a regular
    user, but is when logged in as admin. I find that there seems to be some
    randomness to this with XP - I do all installs as admin, and most run for
    regular users - but not this one (it is an older version, not an XP-specific
    one, but then so are all of my other programs)

    > Hi Craig,
    >
    > When logged in as a regular user, hit ctrl+shift+escape and check to see
    > if its various parts are running on the processes tab.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> With XP Pro, I installed McAfee as Admin, but it does not show as running
    >> when I log in as User. How can I have it run for all accounts?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Craig

    Hi,

    Not unusual for older software, this page I wrote explains why, and tells
    you how to correct it:
    http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    --

    > OK - that's the problem - it is not running when logged in as a regular
    > user, but is when logged in as admin. I find that there seems to be some
    > randomness to this with XP - I do all installs as admin, and most run for
    > regular users - but not this one (it is an older version, not an
    > XP-specific one, but then so are all of my other programs)

    >> Hi Craig,
    >>
    >> When logged in as a regular user, hit ctrl+shift+escape and check to see
    >> if its various parts are running on the processes tab.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> With XP Pro, I installed McAfee as Admin, but it does not show as
    >>> running when I log in as User. How can I have it run for all accounts?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Craig

    Great information - thanks, I will keep this for future reference. With
    respect to McAfee, however, it does not appear in the start menu -
    presumably started from the registry?

    > Hi,
    >
    > Not unusual for older software, this page I wrote explains why, and tells
    > you how to correct it:
    > http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> OK - that's the problem - it is not running when logged in as a regular
    >> user, but is when logged in as admin. I find that there seems to be
    >> some randomness to this with XP - I do all installs as admin, and most
    >> run for regular users - but not this one (it is an older version, not an
    >> XP-specific one, but then so are all of my other programs)
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Craig,
    >>>
    >>> When logged in as a regular user, hit ctrl+shift+escape and check to see
    >>> if its various parts are running on the processes tab.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    Probably in the HKCU run key. I would make it simple and just put a startup
    shortcut in the AllUsers startup folder. You might check the services list
    to see if one has been added there as well and ensure it loads for the
    system and not an individual user.

    Incidentally, are you still able to get regular updates for this older
    version? Using an AV scanner that is not updated is almost as bad as running
    with no AV at all, and is very much useless when it comes to newer bugs.

    --

    > Great information - thanks, I will keep this for future reference. With
    > respect to McAfee, however, it does not appear in the start menu -
    > presumably started from the registry?

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Not unusual for older software, this page I wrote explains why, and tells
    >> you how to correct it:
    >> http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Craig" <craig6731@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> OK - that's the problem - it is not running when logged in as a regular
    >>> user, but is when logged in as admin. I find that there seems to be
    >>> some randomness to this with XP - I do all installs as admin, and most
    >>> run for regular users - but not this one (it is an older version, not an
    >>> XP-specific one, but then so are all of my other programs)
    >>>
    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

Microsoft Windows XP