Sign in with
Your question

(New Sys)WinXP taking lot of time to boot up(help)

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2003 6:21:07 AM

I just assembled a new computer and installed windows xp on it. For some weird reason, it is taking hell lot of time to boot up windows xp. The hard drive stays idle at windows xp professional loading screen for quite a few minutes(5-7 mins) and then suddenly i hear my hard drive come alive and then ot loads up windows. I have the Fujitsu 20GB hard drive. I don't know how many rpm it is. But i suspect it is 4200rpm, but this shouldn't slow down the xp load up time. I have used same drive at my old P3 with win98 and it was fast. I don't know if the problem is my hard drive or something else. Can anyone suggest what could be wrong here.?

Processor: Intel P42.4B 533Mhz processor
Memory: PC2700 DDR333 512MB single memory chip
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 20GB hard drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9000PRO 64MB DDR video card.
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Live! Value
Motherboard: ASUS P4P800 Delux (intel 865PE)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by strikernr on 06/27/03 02:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 27, 2003 7:38:08 AM

Windows will usually slow while it is trying to find or load a driver. First place you should look is in device manager. Make sure all drivers are properly loaded, and that you have no conflicts.
June 27, 2003 11:06:58 AM

If you don't use your onboard Network port, try disabling that in the BIOS. I've seen several pcs take ages to boot when it's enabled but unused. I guess it's windows looking for a network or something.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
Related resources
June 27, 2003 12:34:53 PM

Actually you dont have to disable the card, asign it a static IP adress (i doesnt matter what it is). What is happening is windows is booting and its looking for a network and is timming out, hence your wait. If a static IP adress is asigned windows does not wait to receive one durring boot up and thus it will be shorter.
June 27, 2003 12:48:35 PM

aaah - of course - that makes sense. I was wondering about that.

Thanks, PIII_Man.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
June 27, 2003 6:09:11 PM

i have the following options in the BIOS under Onboard Devices Configuration.

OnBoard AC'97 Audio [Auto]
OnBoard VT6410 RAID Controller [Enabled]
OnBoard IEEE 1394 Controller [Enabled]
OnBoard LAN [Enabled]
ONBoard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]

OnBoard Floppy Controller [Enabled]
Serial Port1 Address [3F8/IRQ4]
Serial Port2 Address [2F8/IRQ3]
Parallel Port1 Address [378]
Parallel Port1 Address [ECP]
ECP Mode DMA channel [DMA3]
Parallel Port IRQ [IRQ7]
OnBoard Game/MIDI Port [Disabled]

Now, which ones should i change/disable to get rid of the slow booting problem?

Thanks for the help.

System:-
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2003 8:31:13 PM

Some more input that might help. In start/run type msconfig to see whats in the startup. Also i had a computer taking ages to boot with ME(what a piece of carbage that ME) because it was running chkdisk every bootup. If you tried everything try removing it from system32 and everywhere you can find it.

Also you can disable those Serial port if you dont use hem. And even the LTP1 if your printer is usb. I always disable them on my boards... GOod luck
June 27, 2003 8:36:41 PM

Okay, I tried disabling the following things.
OnBoard VT6410 RAID Controller [Disabled]
OnBoard IEEE 1394 Controller [Disabled]
OnBoard LAN [Disabled]

They are now to set yo disable but i still get the PROBLEM. It is just frustrating the hell out of me. I can't stand around waiting 7-8 mins for windows to load up. Its too much time. Any help.
June 27, 2003 8:46:48 PM

thx labbbby, i ll try that too.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2003 8:56:19 PM

Try what i told you just to see
Do a search and your C: for chkdisk if you find it CUt them and paste them somewhere and note where they where...Im not even sure WIN Xp has it... Also ever tried a format and a new instalation?Btw turn these settings back on if it didnt change anythin...GooD luck again
June 27, 2003 9:39:02 PM

I tried looking for 'chkdisk'. The file doesn't exist. I guess winxp doesn't have it.
I also tried disabling the serial ports in the BIOS, no change. The problem still persists.

I just assembled this computer yesterday and did a fresh format and installed winXp on it. When i encountered the problem, i reformatted the disk again and did a complete new winxp installation over again. But the problem didn't disappear. Now i have also tried messing around with onboard devices in the BIOS, still no change.

I don't know what else to try?

System:-
June 28, 2003 3:47:53 AM

It's not 'chkdisk' but <b><font color=red>chkdsk</b></font color=red>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
June 28, 2003 4:20:19 AM

Disconnect everything except mouse, keyboard and monitor and try. Second thing is take every damn thing out except video, hdd, single memory card and cpu and disable any onboard components (**disconnect floppy, optical drives, pci cards and anything else. If the comp boots fine now, connect all of them one by one and figure out which is the culprit.)** If the problem still persists, try to use a different memory stick. If still same thing it got to be hard drive unless cpu is getting too hot.
June 28, 2003 6:44:04 AM

K i disabled everything and all the onborad devices from the BIOS and deleted 'chksk' file from the system32 folder but the problem still persists. My CPU and Mb temps are fine (get around 30*C).
What happens is during the Windows XP Professional logo screen the hard drive sits idle for few mins and all of sudden after 7-8 mins i can hear my hard drive spin. The next thing i see is it loads up window in few seconds.

I just did fresh a install of XP after formatting the drive completely. I don't how many times i have already done this.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by strikernr on 06/28/03 04:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 28, 2003 7:54:28 AM

i like to thanks everyone for the help so far. Relly appreciate it.

Anyway, this is just crazy.
After doing everything you guys suggested(disabling devices, messing around with BIOS, formatting, reinstalling windows, etc) i did the only last thing i could do and that is change the hard drive. So i took the hard drive off my P3 system with Win98se on it and hooked it up with my new p4 sys. The windows didn't load up (it got stuck after win98 logo screen) but when i rebooted the windows98 in safe mode, it loaded up instantly. So, i thought what if i try to load my hard drive with winxp in safe mode. Nope, it didn't load up, it got stuck right after i hit "start windows in safe mode."
Now, i am really confused. For a minute i thought it was my hard drive but the other hard drive with win98 is also having problems loading windows in normal mode but in safe it is fine. Do you thing is it really the hard drive or the motherboard? This ASUS P4P800 DX motherboard
has so many features that i don't know of like RAID and ATA stuff. Do you thing it could be that? But i have these things disabled in BIOS.
I need some seriously help here as i am have run out all options.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by strikernr on 06/28/03 03:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 28, 2003 5:26:53 PM

Make sure your hard drive(s) are set up correctly (master,slave).
June 28, 2003 7:35:40 PM

The hard drive is set to primary master and the dvdrom is set to secondary master.
This time i tried switching the hard drive. I took the Western Digital 20gb hard drive off my p3 sys, hooked it up with my p4, reformatted it and installed xp on it. Same problem, it takes 7-9 mins to load up windows. Same problem as before. Now i know for sure its not the hard drive. The only thing left to blame now is the motherboard or maybe the winxp is just screwed up.
Any suggestion guys?
June 30, 2003 7:30:30 AM

heya strikernr;

I got to reading all the posts, and everyone went through everything except chipset drivers.

I dont suppose you downloaded and installed the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility did you?

If you didnt then thats why your computer is hanging on startup, it doesnt recognize the chipset and is like erm...

Even if you did install it, go download it again and run it, there may have been issues with the version you installed and perhaps it has been fixed in the latest version.

Anyone that hasnt installed this utility and has a Intel chipset go here, you can find out IF you need it, what chipsets are supported, etc etc.

<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/" target="_new"> Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility </A>

XeeN
!