Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts

May 7, 2005 2:27:05 PM

Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts: this toggle is only partially working.
Either that or every web site in the different search engines have changed how
they handle the links.

I used to be able to select a link from a search engine without the right click
open in a new window and have the link open in a new window.

I know remember to right click from now on.
Or is there something else ? I went thru all the search configuration options
on how it handles folders, and the Internet. And nothing touched on handling
the links and windows.
May 7, 2005 9:15:06 PM

Hi,
This article is getting old, but still applies:
241911- Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in
Internet Explorer 5.01: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911

I don't think there's a setting in IE which will open a hyperlink (on a
webpage) in a new window. Using Shift+click is faster than a right-click.

Google will let you choose the "new page" option, so long as you accept and
don't delete Google cookies. Go to google.com, look for Preferences.

Vivisimo.com and profusion.com give you the "new window" choice with each
result.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Husky" <cbminfo[at]toast.net> wrote in message
> Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts: this toggle is only partially
working.
> Either that or every web site in the different search engines have changed
how
> they handle the links.
>
> I used to be able to select a link from a search engine without the right
click
> open in a new window and have the link open in a new window.
>
> I know remember to right click from now on.
> Or is there something else ? I went thru all the search configuration
options
> on how it handles folders, and the Internet. And nothing touched on
handling
> the links and windows.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 3:15:07 AM

On Sat, 7 May 2005 17:15:06 -0500, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>This article is getting old, but still applies:
>241911- Description of the Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts Setting in
>Internet Explorer 5.01: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241911
>
>I don't think there's a setting in IE which will open a hyperlink (on a
>webpage) in a new window. Using Shift+click is faster than a right-click.
>
>Google will let you choose the "new page" option, so long as you accept and
>don't delete Google cookies. Go to google.com, look for Preferences.
>
>Vivisimo.com and profusion.com give you the "new window" choice with each
>result.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Don
>[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Nope before the Pccillin crash I could hit a link in a web search page and it
automatically opened in another window. I can right click to open in a new
window. But now the right click seems to be the only way to get a new window
with a search link.