Any more Final Fantasy Games for PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Um, Hey guys I was just wondering if there would be any more FF games coming out for the PC.

I don't know anything about FF and I've never played it, but it looks really interesting but I really don't wanna buy an old game with dated graphics and whatnot, so I'm hoping there would be something new that's comin to the PC. I know there is somethin coming for the 360, and I will be purchasing that also but I like my PC more =]

Thanks in Advance Peeeeeeeeple :pt1cable:

din130

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
There is also FF XI which has been out since 2001. But the one to look forward to is FF XIV which will be out in early 2010. Both of these are online games and not the standard console based FF games that you're probably more likely to see around.

FF MMO's do not count. Period. Its heresy, as far as I'm concerned.

Series has gone downhill since FFV anyway; non-sensical stories (all FF from VI onward), characters who flat out serve no purpose (FFIII, FFVI onwards), and pathetically easy minor enemies (every FF since FFIII), and bosses that are either easy, or impossible at X level (every FF). Never mind that FF games hold you're hand from start to finish...

Dragon Quest is simply a much more blanced series. The focus on the quests, instead of characters, avoids all the pitfalls that have befallen FF over the years. And DQ allows for much more freedom of movement, as most quests can be handled in any order (As opposed to FF limiting where you can go at any point in time...).

/rant

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I still have my FF VII PC box...that's right your all jealous...

Also, wait for XIV to come out earlier next year, this is as described above not your typical FF thats turn based but rather of the MMO flavor.

Also I know graphics add to immersion but try out 7 at the very least on PC or PS1. That will give you a really good taste of what the series is about.

^^ If only the story in 7 made sense to more then 1% of the people who played it (BTW, I'm in that 1%).

Serioulsy, every story since V has been total nonsense.

And anyone who thinks they spent the game running after Sephiroth has no clue about the plot to VII. Seriously, its been aover 10 years; you would think people would know the plot of the self-proclaimed 'greatest RPG of all time' by now...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Unfortunately I've only had experience with FF I for anything before V. The only thing I remember from that was that you had to get four crystals, each protected by some elemental boss. I was having fun until I got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go...(is it me or is this a tiny plague most pre 32-bit RPG's were plagued with?).

I have played VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, and XII, currently playing XI...on a 14-day trial.

I wanna say of those, VII and X were my favorite. VIII and X-2 my least...although in X-2 I recall being completely immune to physical and magical damage, which was cool, but took away the challenge of the game.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Argh! MY HOPES AND DREAMS... DASHED ONCE AGAIN!

WHYYYYYY I reallly reallyyly realllyyyyyyy wanted to play a next gen FF game! WHY MUST I PLAY IT ON MY STUPID 360!! RAWRRRRRRR!!!! I WANT TO MAX OUT THE SETTINGS!!! I ... NEEED.....*Dies*

The pre-FFIV ones gave some freedom, but FF games hold you're hand a lot. Even FFI made you go to Garagu Volcano, where you then got the airship, etc.

I'm personally playing DQV for the DS right now; its about time it got a proper english release (DQIV > FFIV, DQV>FFV, DQVI > FFVI)

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
i can't speak for all final fantasy games but FF7 is legendary. played it about 10 years ago and still have a nostalgic dream about it at least once every week.

FF10 is another cracking game. i played that about 3 years after it was released and i was kicking myself for not picking it up 3 years earlier.

the story in at least those 2 games is epic fantasy. it's a happy upbeat game not a dark and depressing like western rpg's. this is highly ironic as most ppl seem to think JRPG's are for emos.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

FFVII is a "happy upbeat" story? Maybe we played different versions, but I thought they were numbered all the same at that point.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Agreed, especially for a game like Final Fantasy which is largely about story telling. Games are a multi-media art form and the richer a game can get in all aspects of available media (sound, music, visuals, story, etc) the better. It's true that some games don't really need to get too deep in certain areas but Final Fantasy games are about as good example as I can think of of a game that can always benefit from furthering all possible aspects - the only caveat being that none advance at the cost of others.

jiimy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Final Fantasy games are made to be heavily story driven, everything else is just supplementary. The games 'hold your hand' in the same way a book 'holds your hand'. The games are mostly linear so the player is constantly advancing the plot/story/characters/etc. When reading a book the reader can't make the characters/plot go somewhere they are not meant to go or choose what part of the story the characters will be exposed to next. The same holds true for Final Fantasy games. The Final Fantasy series are meant to be similar to a graphical, interactive novel.

Personally, I (usually) don't play RPGs to go explore a virtual world at my leisure, going where I like, when I like. I play them to enjoy a deep, meaningful, rich story. As I wrote earlier, the game exposes the player to events in a linear order for a reason: to tell a story. If that's not your cup of tea, fine. Just don't knock the Final Fantasy style if you don't really understand it.

In sum, it's all about the telling of the story.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

I would disagree in the "holding your hand" part of the post. In most, if not all FF games there are a lot of side things to do, like in 8 you have that card game, in 7 you have the gold saucer etc. And also sometimes, at least in the older FF you can get a little lost. In 7 you also had the option of gaining certain characters and some variations that can stem from that. I heard FF 13 is as you described, very linear hold your hand style, although I haven't played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.