I could really use some help

fudgefactor

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I'm trying to include as many details as I can:
I'm rebuilding my machine. A new msi k7n2 delta-L, amd 2000+, antec smartblue 350, maxtor ata133 60gb, 2 sticks pc2100 256mb each. From the old machine I'm bringing over a geforce2 mx.
The first try it booted up, recognized the memory and CPU, and I got into bios and was poking around when my toddler came in to help me and my wife started on me to finish up. I saved and exited (bad choice) and can't get the machine to boot up again. I get nothing, all the fans run and the drives spin up but no boot is initiated. I dunno if I (or my son)changed a setting or if something failed. I was looking at the cpu settings when I exited. Temperature was pretty good I recall.
I've removed and re-seated every piece several times. I replaced the memory with a spare. I have reassembled the old computer with the new PSU so I know the PSU is good and the video card is good. I've used the reset jumper at least a half dozen times and I've removed the battery several times to try to reset any bios settings I screwed up. I have tried it without the harddrive and cd drive in case it was a weak PSU, but no go and I am typing this now on my old machine using the new antec so, again, I think the psu is good.
It seems that either the board is fried or the cpu is fried.
How do I determine which it is?
I just got an RMA for the mobo, should I just return it and if that doesn't fix it, it must be the cpu?

P.S. Thanks for the previous input Xeen
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fudgefactor on 06/27/03 03:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Do you get any sound signal?Any beeps? also is there a light on your mobo that lite up to show that the motherboard is working? If so check if it littin up. If you dont get any sound my guess would be a defective motherboard but its pretty hard to tell. Also that you managed to use it once doesnt mean thats its not faulty sometimes it breaks after first reboot good luck.

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
If you see any led lit up on the mobo, you better change the cpu first. It's likely that it's the mobo that's fried. Just try powering up the mobo w/o memory and it is likely that you get a beep depending on the mobo u r using.