P4C800 gives 2 beeps when booting

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I recently built a system based on the Asus P4C800 mobo, with a 2.8GHz P4 and 2 sticks of PC3200 DDR ram (512M each). The system appears to run fine. However, whenever I boot up, I will get two short beeps just prior to the Asus splash screen. According to the manual, 2 beeps is supposed to mean "parity error". So, um, like, what the heck does that mean? Thinking that it might be something to do with my memory, I tried booting it with just one stick, then with just the other stick, and got the same behaviour. Putting both sticks back in, I booted again and ran a test program that fills almost all the system memory with pseudo-random bit patterns and reads/re-writes the memory areas to make sure there aren't any errors. This program will run until killed and doesn't show any memory-related errors. Anyone else with this mobo getting just one beep at start-up, and/or able to explain what might be going on?

P.S. the power-up sequence shows that the memory is running at 400MHz DDR, in dual-channel mode, just as expected.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dmcmahon on 06/27/03 04:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya dmcmahon;
This may sound strange but how many USB devices do you have, would you happen to have the same amount of USB devices as you have beeps, i know someone else that is having the same strange beeps and it happens to be the number of USB devices he has, his board is also a Asus motherboard, if we can nail this down as a problem even though it doesnt affect operation maybe they will find the error and fix it, this is a bazaar error but stranger things have happened...

XeeN

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XeenRecoil on 06/28/03 06:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

draiN

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Re: beeps when booting on the P4c800 dlx. After I plugged my speaker in properly on one system, I do have the beeps on both boards, corresponding to the # of usb devices I have plugged in. The usb mouse does not generate a beep. I have 2 identical p4c800dlx boards in 2 separate systems, and both do the same thing. Each system has different usb devices. 1 beep at post, and # of usb devices = # of beeps. System runs great.

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
As it happens, I do have 2 usb devices hooked up. Strange "feature" though.

P.S. Confirmed: with just one device attached, I get just one beep. Way weird.

G

Same for me I get 2 short beep. I got my keyboard and mouse in usb...So I guess thats it.Altough i have my printer on a third one no beep for her...