Gaming rig--XP, Linux, or 7

KayoDot

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I am building my gaming rig this week and I still haven't fully decided was OS I should run. I play Blizzard games, but plan on also playing more high quality video demanding games. I would prefer to run Linux for privacy issues. However, I have never used Linux before. I plan on reading up on it more if Linux can play all the games I want. If it can't, should I go with the Windows 7 beta, or XP. There's no way in hell I am getting vista.

KayoDot

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I have watched my friend's computer perform with vista and I just don't like how sluggish it feels. It's slow on many of the programs I would use. I have a free copy of XP that I can put on my computer if I need to, but I have looked at a lot of the benchmarks comparing XP and 7beta and 7 isn't THAT much worse. By october, when 7 comes out, I expect the benchmarks should look significantly better for 7. If not, I would stay with XP. I plan on running the 7 beta (most likely) for now because I want to learn about what I don't like in case I don't want to spend $50 on it for pre-release.

Thanks for the linux info though. It's unfortunate. I really don't want to have to use google's chrome in the future, so I hope that isn't something that they start making games more compatible with linux because of. (terrible sentence)
I don't want google tracking all my sh!t, so I won't ever use chrome.

daship

Distinguished
If you dont likle Vista you wont like 7.

Your friends PC if it runs Vista sluggish its because his PC is under performing, not up to par.

7 is Vista SP3.

XP is eol and not gonna be supported so you can choose Vista with free 7 upgrade or wait til 7 comes out.

I have 7RC and RTM RTM runs lots smoother.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i am sick of people marking vista as slow. vista and win 7 are only slow on crappy computer systems, on which XP runs easy. if u have a decent rig ( at least 2 GB ram and min 2 core cpu) win 7 rocks. win 7 uses multy-core cpus better than any other OS before. that is why its the best OS for gaming, far better than XP, in some cases even better than vista.
about linux, i doubt u would even manage to connect to internet on that thing.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

I have xp64 and vista 32 and I run primarily in Vista these days. Vista loads up a lot quicker than xp for some reason so I have just been running everything in Vista. If you are building a new rig then you don't need to worry about any OS running slow unless you build a POS that isn't really a gaming rig...

I agree with daship though...if you are going to buy a new OS for a gaming rig, don't buy into an outdated version...move towards W7. Since you are building right now, you should pay attention to DX11 too since it is around the corner. You will eventually want to jump on that train and to do so you will have to get vista or W7.

randomizer

Champion
Linux cannot play games, except opengl ones and even then. You could check how things stand in the linux section but most games are directx and are for all intents and purposes windows only.
Blizzard games typically work well using Wine. YMMV of course. Other games are hit-and-miss.

A load of rubbish. I ran an E6600 and 4GB of RAM and Vista was quite sluggish. Windows 7, while it is essentially Vista with a makeover, has had some under-the-hood improvements that made it much, much more responsive in general system use. Don't expect an extra 15FPS in games, but do expect an overall snappier system while just performing general tasks. I didn't think much of build 6801 or 7000 but 7100 impressed me.

If you haven't used Linux in the last 3 years you shouldn't make comments about it.

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Sadly i would tend to side with the Windows for a gaming rig, as there would be more support. However since you can have almost any flavor of Linux for cost of a download so i would say give Linux a try. My personal Linux flavor is Ubuntu but there are other excellent distros out there.

As for the Vista, Windows & thing just buy Vista with Windows 7 upgrade option. I think the whole Vista being crap thing is way over blown by now it has matured enough to be stable, secure well that's another thing:).

Kudos grandmaster kitten you are right don't knock the Big L if you have not tried it.

G

I'm honestly tired of people bashing OS's clearly people who quote directx games cannot be run on linux type OS's has no knowledge... plain and simple linux is open source without all the bogus bs of MS products that fail time and time again... yes I use MS because I don't want to spend 3-4k on restocking my progs with MAC/Leopard... (windows 7 cloned leopard's looks WTG MS! :non: ) can't seem to find their nitch yet they'll come back out with a renewed Vista called 7 to re-enact what they should have released in the first place... I have been on MSDN boards long enough to know better and have gone from windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98/SE, 2000, NT, XP, Vista, 7 Enterprise. I have also used a slither of Linux progs, Linux, Unix, Red Hat, Fedora, Suse and a few others... I honestly think Linux is far superior stability wise and security wise... you don't see many people developing viruses for programs they don't understand... :fou: MS makes it too easy and too many back doors to get in - yet they claim it is the most secure OS? then why are they telling you to buy a security program right off that bat because it does not protect you? QQ?! Okay I'm done ranting now... GL with your OS and remember try alternatives before going back to MS products... you may just like what you get for free and programs that actually work... :) better yet performance wise, memory usage and access times cut in half? who'd a thunk it? :pt1cable: :)

ericpol

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
dual boot linux and windows 7 use linux to go online and for productivity and use windows 7 for gaming the best of both worlds. install windows first on 1 partition then install linux on a different partition grub will let you boot into either OS