Sign in with
Your question

How should you set graphic aperture size?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2003 11:55:33 PM

In the BIOS setup screen on my P4P800 Deluxe there is an item called Graphic Aperture Size. The description is "Allows you to set the size of mapped memory for AGP graphic data." The default setting is 64 MB. I'm running a Radeon 9500 Pro with 128 MB. Does this mean I should change the Graphic Aperture Size in BIOS to 128 MB?
June 28, 2003 1:12:44 AM

Leave it at 64or 128MB. It doesn't make much of a difference unless there is not enough video memory on your video card or if u r using onboard video.
June 28, 2003 2:28:13 AM

I have it set at 128 because that's the memory on my card. My system is unstable as hell. Could that be a factor?
Related resources
June 28, 2003 2:59:57 AM

I believe that's an onboard graphics setting; unless you don't have onboard graphics... What motherboard are you using?

There's nothing worse than a computer discussion gone personal...
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2003 4:44:30 AM

It's the amount of RAM AGP is allowed to use for caching textures. A lot has been writen about this in the past, with wacky formulas for figuring out the amount to use and everything. My best performance has been with it set at 128MB, regardless of everything else.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2003 4:45:21 AM

No

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 28, 2003 6:46:42 AM

see, try changing it to 64 but not increase. This is just a chunk of the system memory which is shared by video card if video memory is not enough to handle graphics. If the video card has enough memory it doesn't even need to use this part of the memory. In your case, 128 on the video card is usually enough to handle all the graphic needs and so there is no need to access system memory.

But still try reducing it but not increasing it.
June 28, 2003 6:51:40 AM

I don't think that's the cause of instability.

Thanks for ur question, I got a chance to check this link out and why don't u check out http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/aperture-size/

see the benchmarks and there won't be any major performance improvements beyong 64MB if you are using a reasonable card.
!