A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 sound problem Win98SE

I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this problem. I have just installed Windows 98 SE on my new Athlon XP2600+ on Asus A7N8X Deluxe, with integrated sound. I'm having problems with my audio in Windows Media Player (I haven't tried other programs yet.) What happens is basically it plays one second of sound, skips forward one second, and plays another second before skipping forward again. You can actually see the music timer counting faster than normal (i.e. counting 0:10 in less than 10 seconds) I've tried updating to new nForce2 unified drivers but the problem persists. Any idea what I can do? Should I try to install Win XP and see how things work there?

Thanks!

ASUS A7N8X
Integrated Sound, LAN, Firewire, USB
Athlon XP 2600+
Win 98 SE
Windows Media Player 6/9 (Both have same problem)
13 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe sound problem win98se
  1. It appears that things no longer mess up when I turn down the audio acceleration under Control Panel|Multimedia. Perhaps some incompatibilities with DX9? Because the nForce2 APU (SoundStorm?) should be compatible with DX8.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.
  2. 98SE with the Nforce??? You Need XP for sure. Nforce only comes into it's own with XP SP1.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!
  3. Good one.. that'll help.. tell him that he's using hte wrong OS.

Lad, what you need to do is skip on over to www.nForcersHQ.com

go to the ASUS nForce2 forum and look around... you'll find a few people that can help you.

I've got a Epox 8RDA+ running 98SE.. it's a nightmare that has a better ending than "everybody dies"... but not much better.

Basically, XP, 98SE, 2000.. whatever.. they all share the common 'driver issue'.

"Meet me on Platform 10 in 3 minutes... or Platform 3 in 10 minutes, whichever you prefer!!"
  4. Quote:
    Good one.. that'll help.. tell him that he's using hte wrong OS.

Sorry, but that's the way I saw it. 98 has no business on a Nforce board.

5. erm im using 98se on nforce2 and im having no problems at all. what driver issues? install the 98 drivers that come with the board and its fine.
  6. Win98Se is absolutely fine with nforce 2 boards. It <b>Does</b> Require a windows Hotfix to get the sound to work properly, but that's a minor thing.

Don't misinform people like that. Maybe it is better on XP, but it's also the best Athlon Chipset for Win98SE, <b>and</b> you don't have to put up with those bloody awful primary colours everywhere, a 'nanny' OS that thinks it always knows better... etc. XP is bloatware. More stable it may be (although it's not in my experience) but I don't see any reason to 'upgrade' to it.

ahh.. here we are: You'll need <A HREF="http://www1.rm.com/docs/files/pc/q242937.exe" target="_new">This Patch</A>, but apart from that, everything should be peachy.

---
    $hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
  7. Nforce APU has issues with win98SE on some systems, the sound goes all 'choppy' the patch I've stuck a link to above is a microsoft 'hotfix' that does something like enabling 32-bit WDM support in windows, or something (whatever that means :smile: )

---
  8. at last! someone that agrees with me about winxp!
    everytime i mention that winxp may be less stable than 98se i get burned as a heretic and a witch!
    lol maybe i exagerate a little but not by much
  9. the only Advantage of XP is that a single program crashing usually doesn't kill the whole system, whereas win98 can get stuffed by a single other program. The key thing here is <b>not</b> the OS - It's the crappy program that crashed in the first place. If the programmers who wrote said program (be it a driver, a word processor, a game - whatever) actually did a decent job to start with, then it wouldn't crash, so windows would be fine.

---
  10. i completely agree. problem is people set up a pc install all their software and then blame the os when anything buggy happens. normally peple without either the skill or the patience to actually work out the root cause of the problem.
  11. I didn't say 98 couldn't be ran. To get the most out of a Nforce2 board you need XP with SP1. I've seen 98 running on them, but XP is the way to go. If not why don't I see any benches ran with 98 anymore? Let's face it 98 is a dead OS. XP is here to stay is about all I can say.

As far as running XP w/o the eye candy, all you have to do is set it to Performance under Visual Effects in Properties & it's the same look as 2000 or 98.

Didn't mean to cause a fuss.

12. They don't use 98 for benchmarks anymore because no-one buys new copies of it any more. I just use the same copy (keep my licence) whenever I replace my 'pooter, so I don't need to fork out for a new OS. I know you can turn off all the horrible[IMO] options, but they haven't made even that as easy as it could be - a button with 'Make it look normal' would be nice. :smile:

On the Benchmarking front, I have seen numerous people saying that win98 is actually <i>the</i> fastest OS for benchies. Don't know whether that was pre-SP1 on XP or what... Any volunteers willing to try both? (no chance I'm reformatting my HDD just to try...)

---
  13. i have tried both. it varies depending on waht benchmark you use but win98se is generally faster for benchmarking
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Media Player